Match finish of 70s anschutz stock

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Match finish of 70s anschutz stock

Post by brim » 03 Dec 2023, 9:56 am

Hi all
I bought a 70s 1416 recently but it arrived with an undisclosed hairline crack

Magnum were really good about it we settled on a partial refund

I finally got around to fixing it and while it’s solid, the isopropyl I sprayed to clean up and gunk in the crack + light sanding took off the original finish

I tried some stain/varnish I had but it’s too light and feels different

Does anyone know what kind of finish these had originally? Or a modern equivalent? I don’t expect it to be invisible just a bit less noticeable

I’ll upload a pic soon
brim
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Match finish of 70s anschutz stock

Post by GQshayne » 03 Dec 2023, 7:25 pm

My experience with such things is to remove all the old finish and then re-do it. Takes time to do it properly, but not much money.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Dec 2023, 8:21 pm

Wood will darken with age, when you sand an area back you expose wood that's lighter in colour.
If that bothers you then it leaves you with 2 options, sand the rest back or carefully build darkness by applying a light stain one thin coat at a time until you match the colour.
As for your finish you'll have to do your best to work out what they've used, glosss, mat, satin in Acrylic, Nitrocellulose or whatever other funky stuff they've used and match it, sometimes lacquer itself has a tint... It can be super hard to make repairs look un noticeable.

I've given up on lacquer finished stocks and refinish them with tung oil now, which makes repairs of dents and scratches super easy and it looks and feels 100% better.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brim » 03 Dec 2023, 9:07 pm

Sorry it took a while

IMG_8079.jpeg
IMG_8079.jpeg (109.79 KiB) Viewed 1689 times

Thanks for the suggestions, I was afraid of that.. it’s my only gun so I might hold off on the full refinish for now and leave it as is
brim
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by deanp100 » 17 Feb 2024, 7:13 am

Have a crack at matching the stain. Find the nearest looking stain you can and apply with a cloth but have a rag with metho ready to wipe it off. With a bit of fiddling and wiping off you van usually match up a stain colour pretty well. I’d put tru oil on the sanded patch, let it dry then steel wool the whole stock and recoat the lot with tru oil. It is very forgiving with what it sticks to and should blend it all in.
Not a good as a full strip and refinish but will look pretty good. I’m assuming a 70’s stock will be high gloss lacquer and a few coats of tru oil will shine pretty well.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing