Which torque wrench for rifle assembly

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Which torque wrench for rifle assembly

Post by Rippah » 19 Aug 2013, 11:21 am

Hi guys,

Hopefully this is the right section for this...

I'm looking to get a torque wrench for the action screws etc. when reassembling rifles.

Is the Kinchrome one at Bunnings as good as anything else?

Is a wrench better than a torque screwdriver or vice versa?

Cheers.
Remington 700 CDL 35 Whelen
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50
Remington Model 12 .22LR
CZ Ring neck 12G
Rippah
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Which torque wrench for rifle assembly

Post by Brute » 19 Aug 2013, 11:33 am

There is a Weaver Optics scope mounting kits that comes with a torque screwdriver and all the associated bits for rifles & optics.

Something for you to look into...
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by inervate » 19 Aug 2013, 11:40 am

Kinchrome should be fine. Be sure to get the on with in-lbs though obviously, not ft-lbs.

Seen a few forum threads where people picked up the wrong one and did a number on their rifles because of it :(
Weatherby Varmintmaster .224 Wby Mag
Tikka T3 Hunter Fluted 30-06
Marlin 57M Levermatic .22 Win Mag
inervate
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by AusC » 19 Aug 2013, 11:44 am

Brute wrote:There is a Weaver Optics scope mounting kits that comes with a torque screwdriver and all the associated bits for rifles & optics.

Something for you to look into...

Borka is another one that makes a little tool kit like this.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Aster » 19 Aug 2013, 11:50 am

inervate wrote:Kinchrome should be fine. Be sure to get the on with in-lbs though obviously, not ft-lbs.

Seen a few forum threads where people picked up the wrong one and did a number on their rifles because of it :(

Yep. Wouldn't be the first rifle that's been damaged going wrong there.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by ebr love » 19 Aug 2013, 4:03 pm

For the level or torque you're talking about a screwdriver will be fine. You don't need the leverage of a wrench to apply tonnes of torque for a rifle.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GPostal » 07 Oct 2013, 7:35 pm

I use a 705 gehmann torque wrench mainly for my target rifle, most of my other rifles are fine with a guesstimate tweek.
Range is from 4-12 Nm and purchased from South Australia Rifle http://www.targetriflesa.com/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Some .22's--Lots of 303 Lithgows--Tactical Mosin--7mm and an 8mm--Underover--Farmers Shottie--Angel and Omark
GPostal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by inventurkey » 07 Oct 2013, 7:53 pm

GPostal wrote:I use a 705 gehmann torque wrench mainly for my target rifle, most of my other rifles are fine with a guesstimate tweek.
Range is from 4-12 Nm and purchased from South Australia Rifle http://www.targetriflesa.com/

Doesn't look like they come in a flat head screwdriver version. Bugger...
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by GPostal » 07 Oct 2013, 8:37 pm

i bought some screwdriver bits that fit from bunnings hardware - works a treat.
Some .22's--Lots of 303 Lithgows--Tactical Mosin--7mm and an 8mm--Underover--Farmers Shottie--Angel and Omark
GPostal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by inventurkey » 07 Oct 2013, 9:13 pm

Ah, cool.

:)
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by reddog » 08 Oct 2013, 3:37 pm

I have the wheeler FAT wrench which is good but dosent come with the right torx bit for my Howa
I also bought the 89 piece gunsmith screwdriver set , which dosent have it either , but has every flat
screwdriver bit that you could ever want . The Fat wrench is adjustable from 5 inch pounds to 65 inch
pounds , if i had my time again would just get the FAT wrench and get any hex drive bit you need
separately , the FAT wrench was $99
reddog
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by GPostal » 08 Oct 2013, 7:05 pm

Hi Reddog
Where did you get that 89 piece gunsmith screwdriver set from.
Ive been looking for one for my 303 collection.
GPostal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by reddog » 08 Oct 2013, 7:20 pm

Hi GPostal I am pretty sure I got it sent from QLD Gun Exchange but I will have a look
reddog
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by kram » 11 Oct 2013, 12:39 pm

Your local pushbike shop will probably stock or get you the "pro"-bikegear one (www.pro-bikegear.com) or the "Giant" one. Both are top quality. The "Pro" I have was around $100. It's a beaut precision bit of kit. I checked out the Kingcrome ones too and didn't like the quality for more money.
kram
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Vati » 11 Oct 2013, 12:44 pm

kram wrote:I checked out the Kingcrome ones too and didn't like the quality for more money.

They're about $80 or something from memory. Didn't seem any different to the $30 sitting next to it...
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rippah » 11 Oct 2013, 12:47 pm

kram wrote:Your local pushbike shop will probably stock or get you the "pro"-bikegear one (http://www.pro-bikegear.com) or the "Giant" one. Both are top quality. The "Pro" I have was around $100. It's a beaut precision bit of kit. I checked out the Kingcrome ones too and didn't like the quality for more money.

Cheers mate.

I know Giant, I will check out Pro as well.
Remington 700 CDL 35 Whelen
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50
Remington Model 12 .22LR
CZ Ring neck 12G
Rippah
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by kram » 11 Oct 2013, 9:12 pm

Vati wrote:
kram wrote:I checked out the Kingcrome ones too and didn't like the quality for more money.

They're about $80 or something from memory. Didn't seem any different to the $30 sitting next to it...

thats a good price ,the local took supplier up here wanted nearly $180 for the Kingchrome one and yes, it is exactly the same crappy item as the supatool one you generally see next to it.Supatool being Kingchromes' home brand.This is the one I got.Image
kram
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Vati » 12 Oct 2013, 6:08 am

kram wrote:thats a good price ,the local took supplier up here wanted nearly $180 for the Kingchrome one and yes, it is exactly the same crappy item as the supatool one you generally see next to it.Supatool being Kingchromes' home brand.This is the one I got.

Hmm, maybe this was cheaper because it wasn't a set? Just a wrench... In any case, didn't fill me with confidence regardless.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by kram » 12 Oct 2013, 12:10 pm

I had that same reaction, and no they(the kingchrome/Supatool) don't come as a kit around here,it's just an inflated price.
kram
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by sarki » 12 Oct 2013, 2:55 pm

kram wrote:I had that same reaction, and no they(the kingchrome/Supatool) don't come as a kit around here,it's just an inflated price.

Double the price... You got some serious inflation going on in your area :shock:
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by eveyoz » 31 Jan 2015, 9:40 am

GPostal wrote:i bought some screwdriver bits that fit from bunnings hardware - works a treat.

Im after the same thing, I dont suppose you could post a pic of the box or name them?

Thanks mate
eveyoz
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Juganort » 31 Jan 2015, 3:22 pm

Hinterland shooting supplies have torque wrenches with 19 different bits for about $70, comes in a case to keep it all together. I've had one for a few months and the only complaint is that the T10 torx bit was a bit weak and got stripped, aside from that it was a fairly cheap option.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.
Juganort
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Humir » 01 Feb 2015, 12:30 pm

Juganort wrote:I've had one for a few months and the only complaint is that the T10 torx bit was a bit weak and got stripped, aside from that it was a fairly cheap option.

Disappointing to hear. They're usually well regarded for quality stuff.

And definitely only using the bit on the right size screws? No 'close enough' business on some undersized ones causing the strip?
Humir
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Juganort » 01 Feb 2015, 4:12 pm

Yep right size bit for rise size screw, using correct torque settings as per manufacturers specs.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.
Juganort
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Feb 2015, 4:22 pm

I've never used a Torque Wrench on a firearm, what am I missing?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Warrigul » 01 Feb 2015, 8:11 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I've never used a Torque Wrench on a firearm, what am I missing?

Nothing really.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by brett1868 » 02 Feb 2015, 8:04 am

Bicycle shops are a good source for small torque wrenches as some bike require specific torques for various nuts & bolts. I only use the torque wrench for doing scope bases & rings with Loctite 222 cause that's what the manufacturer suggests and it makes for consistent mounting. Anything else is done up FT with Loctite 222 or if something that needs to be screwed / unscrewed on a regular basis I use a little "Never Seize" on it.
The DTA SRS & HTI each require specific torque's on the barrels so I've got a pair of Seekonk wrenches in 70 in/lbs & 80 in/lbs which are brilliant for the task at hand.

http://www.seekonk.com/cat-39-1-27/pre-set-t-handle-slip-type-torque-wrenches.htm
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by RDobber » 03 Feb 2015, 1:39 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I've never used a Torque Wrench on a firearm, what am I missing?

It's to apply the "correct" amount of tension to the action screws.

Ruger for example state the front action screw should be set to 95 inch lbs for best accuracy, while the rear and centre screw should be "tight". I can't think of another brand specifically who also gives this info but there are others.

Some people swear by it and report greatly improved accuracy doing it to the preferred number rather than just tightening it by hand to an unmeasured degree.

Someone on here had their 22lr go to pot the other week. Fixed by finding out and correctly setting the tension as per manufacturer specs if I recall correctly.

Seems to be dependant on the particular rifle and I guess where "tight enough" feels to the operator. Some probably get it about right anyway and others will be off.

I've never bothered personally, just always done it "tight enough" but I've read enough people saying it played a part in improving there accuracy that there looks to be something to it.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Gunsmithing