Cutting Shotgun Barrel NSW

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Cutting Shotgun Barrel NSW

Post by OneLab » 31 Jan 2024, 7:39 pm

Hi guys, I just bought a shotgun with a 36” integrally choked barrel, and want to cut it to 20” so I can shoot slugs. Provided the definition of “shortened firearm” is not met, can I cut it at home?

I’ve emailed the NSW firearm registry and am still awaiting a reply. Just thought I’d get your opinions before I go ahead with it (after I get a yes/no from the registry)
Cheers
OneLab
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Cutting Shotgun Barrel NSW

Post by bladeracer » 05 Feb 2024, 1:10 pm

OneLab wrote:Hi guys, I just bought a shotgun with a 36” integrally choked barrel, and want to cut it to 20” so I can shoot slugs. Provided the definition of “shortened firearm” is not met, can I cut it at home?

I’ve emailed the NSW firearm registry and am still awaiting a reply. Just thought I’d get your opinions before I go ahead with it (after I get a yes/no from the registry)
Cheers

Does it shoot slugs okay now? That's a lot of steel to be waving about so I'd want it shortened as well, but I'd be seeing how it shoots before I go changing it, if it shoots really well I might be inclined to leave it.

I don't think NSW likes you to do that sort of thing yourself, but I don't know if there's any paperwork involved. If they want you to notify them of the new barrel length I guess they might want receipts for the work but it seems unlikely. Not sure how I'd go about replacing the front sight, probably dummy something up, test fire it, adjust, until I find where the sight needs to be, then fabricate one and mount it permanently. For dedicated slugs I'd probably look at installing a rifled choke tube as well.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing