Paddle stock

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Paddle stock

Post by Shootermick » 16 Feb 2024, 12:45 pm

Does anyone know if a Ruger paddle stock would fit a Ruger American?
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Paddle stock

Post by Marlin44 » 16 Feb 2024, 1:25 pm

No. 2 different actions. The paddle stock was Mdl 77 - the American is very different action.
Marlin44
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 16 Feb 2024, 1:40 pm

Marlin44 wrote:No. 2 different actions. The paddle stock was Mdl 77 - the American is very different action.

Righto.
Thanks.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by gunderson » 16 Feb 2024, 4:37 pm

anything is possible with power tools and sheer determination
gunderson
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by bladeracer » 16 Feb 2024, 4:49 pm

Shootermick wrote:Does anyone know if a Ruger paddle stock would fit a Ruger American?

Probably not too big a job to make it fit but certainly won't go straight in.

I've never owned the "paddle stock", does it offer some advantage other than aesthetics?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 16 Feb 2024, 5:39 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Shootermick wrote:Does anyone know if a Ruger paddle stock would fit a Ruger American?

I've never owned the "paddle stock", does it offer some advantage other than aesthetics?

Not sure of any advantages, just always liked them. Some people hate them, but they were quite out there back in the day.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Feb 2024, 7:15 pm

Shootermick wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Not sure of any advantages, just always liked them. Some people hate them, but they were quite out there back in the day.

I've handled them but never used one in the field, they don't have the "hollow" feel of most polymer stocks.
I guess the only way you'll know for sure is to try to buy a cheap secondhand one and try it for yourself. Probably need to chisel some bits out and build up other bits but the main issue will be aligning the action to fit with the mag well. A 10/22 one might even be easier as the inlet would be so much bigger - fill it with bog, spray the action with mould release, and drop it into the stock.

It might even be possible to make something similar out of a standard RAR wooden or laminated stock, or build one from scratch.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wyliecoyote » 07 Mar 2024, 9:39 am

There is virtually not a compound made that will successfully stick to a Ruger paddle stock long term as they are made of an industrial nylon called Zytel. Anyone that has tried to bed one of these stocks knows what i mean. I know of 2 paddle stocks collecting dust for this reason, both of which have long been replaced with other stocks, usually MKII walnut offerings.
They were a great idea when they first came out except whoever molded the first one to try then said all good lets go, must have had the stature of a small child. Perfect rifle for women and those in 7.62x39 are worth more than gold up here with pig hunters girlfriends.
Wyliecoyote
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 07 Mar 2024, 10:45 am

I have had a 308 for over 30 years, the stocks are light, very tough and easy to carry. As Wylie said the Zytel polymer doesn't like letting compounds adhere for long but they are stiff enough not to need bedding and more than accurate enough for hunting (the model was used by a few US Police agencies for sniping). The only issue, if you can call it that, is the narrow buttpad which on the 308 and 30/06 isn't an issue, not much for the 270, but the 338 isn't nice.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing