Cleaning all rimfire rifles the same?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Cleaning all rimfire rifles the same?

Post by prodel » 27 May 2014, 9:30 am

Hi all,

First time poster here.

I've read on here that a lot of guys don't clean their 22's at all.

Is this the same for all rimfire stuff?

.22 mag?

The newer stuff like 17 HMR?

Making my decision on a new rimfire calibre and don't want to neglect it with old info :)

Thanks a lot.
prodel
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Cleaning all rimfire rifles the same?

Post by Lyam » 29 May 2014, 2:49 pm

It's not the rifle so much as the ammo.

Normally when guys are talking about never cleaning their 22's its because they're shooting wax coated lead.

Shooting copper jacket 17 HMR isn't the same for the barrel and requires normal cleaning (IMO).

edit: corrected post.
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Hinky » 30 May 2014, 1:04 pm

Lyam's got it.

If you're shooting copper plated ammo you need a copper solvent.
Mosin Nagant M1891
Sako Finnbear L61R 25-06
Browning T-Bolt .22LR Sporter
Browning BL22
Hinky
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by prodel » 30 May 2014, 1:06 pm

Got it about the copper, thanks.

So as long as I stick to wax coated lead ammo then there's no need to clean and she'll be right?
prodel
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by balter » 30 May 2014, 3:52 pm

Isn't copper 22LR ammo really meant for semi-automatics?

The lead causes jamming or something?
balter
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Will » 30 May 2014, 3:55 pm

TBH I'm no expert on semi-auto but I think the issue there is the lead gets into the gas return system?

I dunno in what situation or what rifles are effected by that though... Soz.
Roessler Waffen Titan 6
Viper Vortex HS 4-16x44
Will
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Mark TAC » 31 May 2014, 12:50 am

The real issues are
(1) slower powder in .22mag makes it dirtier and need cleaning. It is common for a .22 to go 1000rounds and still shoot the same. It is common for a .22mag to have noticeable accuracy reductions after 100 rounds. I know mine had 1.5" groups open to 2.5" plus after 2 boxes. My .22 will hold under1" for years!

(2) the velocity of stuff like .17HMR is same as centrefires so you get copper fouling. A .22 with "copper" (which really is a poofteenth of a mm of copper electroplating over lead), is not the same.

.22lr, no. Clean when you feel a need.

.22mag and .17HMR, yes clean goodly.
Maker of carbon fibre / Kevlar(TM) tactical stocks
www.MSTactical.com

CZ 452 .22 - Leupy 2-7x33
Rem700 VSF .22/250 - Bushnell Elite 4200 6-20x40
Rem700 Sendero .300WinMag - Leupold 3.5-10x40 LR/T
Sako L461 custom .222 - Sighton SII 3-9x42
Mark TAC
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Apollo » 31 May 2014, 2:41 am

Lets get at least one fact correct here.

The .17HMR does NOT use Copper Plated Bullets. It's bullet is the same as any centrefire calibre. It's a Copper Jacket Bullet and not copper plated.

Copper plated lead bullets are something quite different. The copper content is so small it's basically just a colour coating.

A famous combination, .22LR Brno and Winchester Power Points (Copper Plated Lead). Renown for their accuracy and many that I know of have never been cleaned since the day they were purchased over 50 years ago. Fired many thousands of rounds and as accurate as the day they first shot a round and most more accurate than many currently made rimfires. Yes, I think an old Brno is more accurate than a current model CZ as they are not the same rifle these days.

So, clean all rimfire rifles the same. No.

Depends on the environment you live in, if you get it wet especially inside the bore and if it's exposed to high humidity. Keep moisture away.

Some say mixing brands of wax coated lead bullets is not good and can cause a chemical reaction in the bore. True or correct I don't know but I do clean my Brno when changing / testing different brands of ammo from different manufacturers. Other than that I do not clean the bore but may push one oily patch through to knock out some surplus crud / powder residue.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 31 May 2014, 11:57 am

prodel wrote:Got it about the copper, thanks.

So as long as I stick to wax coated lead ammo then there's no need to clean and she'll be right?

That has pretty much nailed it. Keep the keeper and extractor grooves and the bolt clean, give the outside and bolt a good oil before putting it away in a dry safe and it will last pretty much forever.

Try not to go for more than a couple of months without putting at least a couple of rounds down the bore. That snowflake you should see forming on the crown of your rifle is just wax, very little powder or lead accumulate in the bore- you need a good accumulation of wax, this is what stops it from leading up.

Clean the bore VERY well before you shoot it for the first time to get rid of any factory junk.

A .22LR is a very hassle free way to enjoy yourself, and cheap.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by tom604 » 31 May 2014, 12:21 pm

try different types of ammo too, some seem to group better than others, you will need to put 10 or so rounds through it first for it to settle down, i dont know why, maybe different wax or whatever but i have found that the first 5 or so of a new ammo will not shoot straight but it could just be me as i am a bit recoil shy :lol: have fun, a 22lr should be in everyone's safe. ;)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Lyam » 02 Jun 2014, 9:39 pm

Apollo wrote:The .17HMR does NOT use Copper Plated Bullets. It's bullet is the same as any centrefire calibre. It's a Copper Jacket Bullet and not copper plated.

My bad, meant copper jacket but typed the wrong thing. Not plated...

Think I stuck that in Hinky's head.
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing