Howa Mini-action. 223 conversion

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Howa Mini-action. 223 conversion

Post by Saul333 » 15 Apr 2024, 8:35 pm

Gday everyone, long time reader, finally joined the forum. I'm based in South West WA. I'm sure you're aware of the current firearms reform currently in the works. For various reasons I was after some info/advice on converting my Howa Mini Action .223 into one of the other mini action calibres, specifically the 300blk and the 350 legend. Basically can it be done and if so is it economically viable? Cheers in advance for any help.
Saul333
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Howa Mini-action. 223 conversion

Post by Blr243 » 16 Apr 2024, 2:55 pm

No idea if it’s possible but I already own 223 and 300 blk. I wouldn’t bother with the 300 blk. If u are goin to the trouble and expense I think it makes sense to make it worthwhile choose the 350 leg. Significantly more energy over the 300 blk
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Apr 2024, 4:47 pm

Saul333 wrote:Gday everyone, long time reader, finally joined the forum. I'm based in South West WA. I'm sure you're aware of the current firearms reform currently in the works. For various reasons I was after some info/advice on converting my Howa Mini Action .223 into one of the other mini action calibres, specifically the 300blk and the 350 legend. Basically can it be done and if so is it economically viable? Cheers in advance for any help.

To BLK is easy, just a new barrel, probably around $1000 to do I would guess.
.350Lgd is likely harder as it would also need a new mag and bolt face.
I would think either would be cheaper to sell your rifle and buy one in the chambering you want.

I don't know what happens in WA if you have a property letter to shoot .223Rem and you change to a new chambering, do you need a new property letter as well?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Apr 2024, 5:00 pm

Buy a new rifle for 1k. Why bother?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 16 Apr 2024, 5:32 pm

30 Apache just a barrel no other mods and at least you can get pills that work at 30 30 velocitys which in what the Apache does.
Just remember if you want subsonic speed you need a faster twist .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Apr 2024, 6:15 pm

deye243 wrote:Just remember if you want subsonic speed you need a faster twist .

No you don't.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Saul333 » 16 Apr 2024, 10:17 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Saul333 wrote:Gday everyone, long time reader, finally joined the forum. I'm based in South West WA. I'm sure you're aware of the current firearms reform currently in the works. For various reasons I was after some info/advice on converting

I would think either would be cheaper to sell your rifle and buy one in the chambering you want.

I don't know what happens in WA if you have a property letter to shoot .223Rem and you change to a new chambering, do you need a new property letter as well?

As far as I'm aware one of the main PITA changes to the WA laws is the cancellation of all current letters so I'll be submitting new letters anyway. Part of the reason why I'm looking at those 2 calibres is because I shoot on properties anywhere between 30 and 500 acres and I'm trying to have back up plans if I can't get approval for my .223 anymore, I know of a few blokes who have been knocked back for .223 on properties under 1000a.
Totally unsure of the bolt face issue, google says a .223 bolt face is fine for a 350 legend (mostly referring to ARs though), but I do know the mags I have are marked with various rounds including .204, .223, 300blk and 350 legend.
Saul333
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 16 Apr 2024, 11:37 pm

Saul333 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Saul333 wrote:Gday everyone, long time reader, finally joined the forum. I'm based in South West WA. I'm sure you're aware of the current firearms reform currently in the works. For various reasons I was after some info/advice on converting

As far as I'm aware one of the main PITA changes to the WA laws is the cancellation of all current letters so I'll be submitting new letters anyway. Part of the reason why I'm looking at those 2 calibres is because I shoot on properties anywhere between 30 and 500 acres and I'm trying to have back up plans if I can't get approval for my .223 anymore, I know of a few blokes who have been knocked back for .223 on properties under 1000a.
Totally unsure of the bolt face issue, google says a .223 bolt face is fine for a 350 legend (mostly referring to ARs though), but I do know the mags I have are marked with various rounds including .204, .223, 300blk and 350 legend.

The new laws will do away with property letters altogether. You ask a property owner if you can shoot on their property, they submit your details to Police, Police decide whether you can shoot on the property - that's my understanding of what they're proposing, and you can _only_ shoot on that property, nowhere else.

Good point, I think you may be right about the bolt-face being the same now I think about it.
Last edited by bladeracer on 17 Apr 2024, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Apr 2024, 3:03 am

"The new laws will doa way with firearms altogether. You ask a property owner if you can shoot on their property, they submit your details to Police, Police decide whether you can shoot on the property - that's my understanding of what they're proposing, and you can _only_ shoot on that property, nowhere else.

Good point, I think you may be right about the bolt-face being the same now I think about it."

Fixed it for you. :)
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Apr 2024, 9:12 am

Oldbloke wrote:"The new laws will doa way with firearms altogether. You ask a property owner if you can shoot on their property, they submit your details to Police, Police decide whether you can shoot on the property - that's my understanding of what they're proposing, and you can _only_ shoot on that property, nowhere else.

Good point, I think you may be right about the bolt-face being the same now I think about it."

Fixed it for you. :)

Yes, and quite right too, very, very few west Aussies will be shooting recreationally outside of approved clubs.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TuskerOrd » 23 Apr 2024, 5:03 pm

Short answer: Yes, you should be able to change it into any of the other mini action calibres, 300 BLK, 350 Legend and 204 Ruger should be strait forward, I've recently build a customer a 6mm Arc on a 223 that he wanted converted. Opened up the bolt face and tweaked, extractor and swapped his 204/224 magazines around to 6.5 Grendel mags and off he went.
TuskerOrd
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by Billo » 23 Apr 2024, 7:14 pm

TuskerOrd wrote:Short answer: Yes, you should be able to change it into any of the other mini action calibres, 300 BLK, 350 Legend and 204 Ruger should be strait forward, I've recently build a customer a 6mm Arc on a 223 that he wanted converted. Opened up the bolt face and tweaked, extractor and swapped his 204/224 magazines around to 6.5 Grendel mags and off he went.

6mm Arc a great cartridge, was sighting in my thermal today on mine today and fmd its a fun gun to shoot :thumbsup:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing