Dimpled barrel fluting

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Dimpled barrel fluting

Post by Shotfox » 12 Jun 2014, 10:14 am

Im with you bigfella but do you know who does it
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Jun 2014, 10:26 am

Shotfox wrote:Im with you bigfella but do you know who does it

No idea who would do it mate, ask around the gunshops I guess.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Aster » 18 Jun 2014, 12:01 pm

bigfellascott wrote:To me all that dimple and honeycomb checkering is designed for the " Look at Me" type person who feels the need to stand out and be different, as for whether it makes a diff in the cooling department who bloody knows, to me it looks like a real PITA to maintain so it wouldn't even come close to getting a start in my safe.

This is getting real technical and fussy now but I think it could be argued that "honeycomb" fluting is actually the best option.

A hexagon is the most efficient shape to use in a grid (as it is in down the barrel pictured here). There is the least amount of wasted space (e.g. comparing to a grid of circles) and it has great strength under pressures (e.g. compared to squares).

This is why you see it in nature in structures like (surprise?) beehives - building their honeycomb with hexagons yields maximum storage capacity and strength for minimum waste.

Obviously there are some technical/practical limitations to that for shooting though. I don't know who could do that fluting and it would obviously be a lot more difficult/expensive to have done than straight lines. TBH any practical benefit over standard fluting is probably insignificant.

Despite the technical advantages it's probably not actually worth doing. It's just a piece of trivia I found interesting.

So there you go... I present the wonder that is, the hexagon :lol:
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by chacka » 18 Jun 2014, 6:22 pm

Thanks David Attenborough :P
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia