How long will a stored rifle keep? Top up maintenance?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

How long will a stored rifle keep? Top up maintenance?

Post by effex » 04 Jun 2014, 10:44 am

Hi guys,

So the standard advice "oil your guns before storing them for long periods"... How long is "long".

3 months? 6 months? years?

If you give a rifle a good and proper clean and oil it up how long does that treatment last? Should you give it an oil top up after a few months or a year or how long?

Thanks.
effex
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Re: How long will a stored rifle keep? Top up maintenance?

Post by MeccaOz » 04 Jun 2014, 9:12 pm

Well ... Lets just say "Hypothetically" That if you oiled them up and wrapped them in grease paper, stored it in a dry place .. your talking decades mate :)
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Shotfox » 05 Jun 2014, 9:03 am

Moisture seems to be the storage barometer.

Not only does this effect the storage life of the gun but also gun bags and what ever else is in the safe.

You can get dehumidifiers etc. but common sense with storage times and proper prep is a good start so its hard to say what is best given the diffrent climates
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 05 Jun 2014, 11:50 am

You know it is funny but I was given a WW1 Mauser last year that was brought home from the front, oiled up and stuck on the wall on the loungeroom.

The only thing done to in nearly 100 years was the old blokes son took the paint brush to it shortly after WW2 and painted the metal black.

The only fault is part of the wood ended up with some dry rot and shrinkage- the metal is perfect.

Very low humidity is good for everything but electronics, art/paper and wood, don't forget to oil(or wax) the woodwork every six months or so. rubber buttpads also deteriorate so I remove them for long term storage.

Try not to have a safe in an area where the temperature varies widely.

Never use wooden or felt lined racks in gun safes, far better to use a non absorbent PTFE or nylon to avoid a "rest mark" on a barrel. Never leave a gun bag in a safe and especially NEVER leave a firearm stored for long term in a gunbag.

Wipe the outside of the firearm down at least every three month- more to remove the dust than re-oil as the dust will absorb moisture.

Just my humble opinions.

I re-oil everything regularly, at a minimum of three months and if it is not regularly used the the bore gets cleaned out, heated up and Sweets oiled every year.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Tiiger » 08 Jun 2014, 5:21 pm

effex wrote:So the standard advice "oil your guns before storing them for long periods"... How long is "long".

3 months? 6 months? years?

Month absolutely.

Oil isn't a miracle solution though. Excess moisture, salt air etc. all get at it.

If you're living near the beach this kind of stuff needs more attention. If you're a more ideal climate you can get away with less.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by effex » 08 Jun 2014, 5:23 pm

MeccaOz wrote:Well ... Lets just say "Hypothetically" That if you oiled them up and wrapped them in grease paper, stored it in a dry place .. your talking decades mate :)

Wouldn't need anything that longs so that's good :)

I sometimes go a month or two without taking mine out. It was more about the need (not as it turns out) to top em up if that becomes, 3,4,5 months on longer spells.
effex
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by effex » 08 Jun 2014, 5:24 pm

Warrigul wrote:Very low humidity is good for everything but electronics, art/paper and wood, don't forget to oil(or wax) the woodwork every six months or so. rubber buttpads also deteriorate so I remove them for long term storage.

Hmm?

What's the prob with low humidity? Cracking the wood?
effex
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by roob » 08 Jun 2014, 5:25 pm

For wood I can see that, but electronics? Never heard of them liking humidity at all?
7mm-08 Tikka T3 Varmint and a .22-250 Tikka T3 Varmint
roob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Joom » 08 Jun 2014, 5:26 pm

Warrigul wrote:Never use wooden or felt lined racks in gun safes, far better to use a non absorbent PTFE or nylon to avoid a "rest mark" on a barrel.

The felt absorbing a some moisture can leave a corrosion mark, is that what you're saying?
Remington 700 and... Who needs another rifle?
Joom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 08 Jun 2014, 8:34 pm

roob wrote:For wood I can see that, but electronics? Never heard of them liking humidity at all?

Low humidity is a killer for static damage, I have built a few conditioned rooms and there is always a lower limit for humidity for a very good reason.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Warrigul » 08 Jun 2014, 8:38 pm

Joom wrote:
Warrigul wrote:Never use wooden or felt lined racks in gun safes, far better to use a non absorbent PTFE or nylon to avoid a "rest mark" on a barrel.

The felt absorbing a some moisture can leave a corrosion mark, is that what you're saying?

yep, the moisture gets drawn out of the felt(or any absorbent material including wood and some forms of foam and natural rubbers) when the metal is cool and the felt absorbs it when conditions are right.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Joom » 09 Jun 2014, 3:07 pm

Mmm, right.

Might wrap a little nylon around the shelf of mine then.
Joom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 10 Jun 2014, 11:39 am

Joom wrote:Mmm, right.

Might wrap a little nylon around the shelf of mine then.

I have been in the ****** a few times in my life for pinching a few inches off the nylon cutting board from the kitchen.

Gotta learn not to do these things in the middle of the night.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by roob » 11 Jun 2014, 3:35 pm

Warrigul wrote:Low humidity is a killer for static damage, I have built a few conditioned rooms and there is always a lower limit for humidity for a very good reason.

Static hey.

The humidity disperses it I guess?
7mm-08 Tikka T3 Varmint and a .22-250 Tikka T3 Varmint
roob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Joom » 11 Jun 2014, 3:36 pm

Warrigul wrote:Gotta learn not to do these things in the middle of the night.

Ah ha ha ha.
Joom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing