75gr Hornady HPBT out of a 22-250

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

75gr Hornady HPBT out of a 22-250

Post by Cheif » 04 Jun 2014, 5:02 pm

Hi there want to no if any one has any experience with reloading and shooting 75gr Hornady HPBT out of a 22-250 I have a few questions I would like to ask

Regards Sean
Cheif
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: 75gr Hornady HPBT out of a 22-250

Post by zook60 » 04 Jun 2014, 8:20 pm

Firstly whats your twist rate? The 75g out of the 22-250 would reach way out there.
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 04 Jun 2014, 11:20 pm

At a guess you would need a 1:9 , 1:8 twist ( Im no twist guru ) But I think If that was ok you would probably get around 3000 fps .... So In my humble opinion It would be a devastating round mate.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Apollo » 05 Jun 2014, 1:16 am

Cheif wrote:Hi there want to no if any one has any experience with reloading and shooting 75gr Hornady HPBT out of a 22-250 I have a few questions I would like to ask

Regards Sean

Would not it be wise to ask the questions, otherwise you are likely to end up with nothing worthwhile.

It's pretty hard to answer a question that hasn't been asked, especially with no background information.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Cheif » 05 Jun 2014, 6:01 pm

I have I 1in8 26inch barrel twist so I can shoot up to 80gr pills out of it what I want to no is what powders I could use other then ADI what sort of FPS they are push them out at and if they fit in the mag with the extra C.O.L.
Cheif
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by zook60 » 05 Jun 2014, 8:07 pm

Cheif wrote:I have I 1in8 26inch barrel twist so I can shoot up to 80gr pills out of it what I want to no is what powders I could use other then ADI what sort of FPS they are push them out at and if they fit in the mag with the extra C.O.L.

I would run 2208 not sure on what fps you would get.Have look on the ADI site you may get some FPS stats.

No idea if they will fit depends on how deep you seat the pills and what your rifles mag length is.

Also depends on when the barrel was made how deep the throat is to how long you can go with the COAL.
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Cheif » 06 Jun 2014, 6:05 am

Ok thanks for your help but I want to what powders I can use NOT ADI also does it matter how deep u seat the bullet????
Cheif
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by MeccaOz » 06 Jun 2014, 6:15 am

Ive never done any competition with rifles mate, but I do know if you are after accuracy you will want to seat the bullets just a tad back from the lands and groves, so the bullet doesnt have to "jump" and this probably wont be a length that your magazine will allow. I hope someone with some knowledge can chime in and help you out. There are a few F class shooters on here.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Cheif » 06 Jun 2014, 6:05 pm

Thank you for reply I would prefer if I could mag feed then single load the C.O.L for 22-250 is 2.350" but if I load 75gr it becomes 2.490" would to no if I could still mag feed that or can I seat the projectile deeper to lessen the C.O.L and also what powders I could use other then ADI thank you
Cheif
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by zook60 » 06 Jun 2014, 8:36 pm

Cheif wrote:Thank you for reply I would prefer if I could mag feed then single load the C.O.L for 22-250 is 2.350" but if I load 75gr it becomes 2.490" would to no if I could still mag feed that or can I seat the projectile deeper to lessen the C.O.L and also what powders I could use other then ADI thank you

The only thing that will stop you seating the projectile deeper is the type of powder you use. You need to use a powder that doesn't fill all of the case.
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Cheif » 07 Jun 2014, 4:21 pm

Cool, thanks for that.

Do You know of any other powder I could use?
Cheif
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Norton » 08 Jun 2014, 5:16 pm

Cheif wrote:I would prefer if I could mag feed then single load the C.O.L for 22-250 is 2.350" but if I load 75gr it becomes 2.490"

It doesn't become anything really... You can seat the bullets to whatever height is appropriate.

Not criticising here, just asking, have you done any reloading before?

Sort of sounds a bit like your ruling things out and pushing the envelope elsewhere without doing a few basic loads? Correct me if I'm wrong on that, it's just the way it sounds.

What powder and what COAL are sort of part of 'reloading 101' so... Just asking to make sure the basics are understood first?
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Hucka » 08 Jun 2014, 5:17 pm

Cheif wrote:Do You know of any other powder I could use?

Alliant, ADI/Hodgdon, Vihtavuori/Lapua, Accurate... There are a bunch mate.

Why don't you want to use ADI btw? Because their load data for 22-250 doesn't include 75gr pills?
Hucka
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Cheif » 08 Jun 2014, 8:20 pm

Norton wrote:
Cheif wrote:I would prefer if I could mag feed then single load the C.O.L for 22-250 is 2.350" but if I load 75gr it becomes 2.490"

It doesn't become anything really... You can seat the bullets to whatever height is appropriate.

Not criticising here, just asking, have you done any reloading before?

Sort of sounds a bit like your ruling things out and pushing the envelope elsewhere without doing a few basic loads? Correct me if I'm wrong on that, it's just the way it sounds.

What powder and what COAL are sort of part of 'reloading 101' so... Just asking to make sure the basics are understood first?

You are sort of right I have reloaded before when I was very young with my father but it has been near 17 years since I can not ask him these questions anymore and I don't remember a lot of what he tort me
Cheif
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Cheif » 08 Jun 2014, 8:28 pm

Hucka wrote:

Why don't you want to use ADI btw? Because their load data for 22-250 doesn't include 75gr pills?

what do u mean they are bench mark???? no I message them for load data on that projectile and the data they gave me on there powders was just on 2900fps maximum load so about 2800fbs if u back of by about a gr of powder when I look thought my Hornady book nearly all there powders they have listed are pushing them out at 3200fps and 3300-3400fbs maximum that's the main reason I did want to use ADI I want to no if there was anything else out there that would be close to the Hornady book thank you for your reply
Cheif
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Hucka » 09 Jun 2014, 3:09 pm

Cheif wrote:what do u mean they are bench mark?

I said there are a bunch mate.

A bunch of alternatives. Not a bench mark :P
Hucka
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Cheif » 09 Jun 2014, 7:06 pm

Hucka wrote:
Cheif wrote:what do u mean they are bench mark?

I said there are a bunch mate.

A bunch of alternatives. Not a bench mark :P

LOL sorry I am a very poor reader and speller what other powders are available in Australia?????
Cheif
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by zook60 » 10 Jun 2014, 7:03 am

Hucka wrote:

We seem to be going around in circles here :lol:
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Cheif » 10 Jun 2014, 8:06 am

Other than ADI I didn't think any of those ere still available in Australia thank you mate I will do so hunting to try and find some thank you for all ur help
Cheif
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Hucka » 10 Jun 2014, 9:58 am

No probs.

Can't tell you anywhere with stock off the top of my head by you can definitely get Alliant and Vihtavuori/Lapua powder here, as I've seen it in store myself.

My LGS has a poster up for a while with Accurate powder too so presumably that means they're selling it too...

Good shooting.
Hucka
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Cheif » 10 Jun 2014, 11:09 am

Ok thanks you wouldn't no if Hodgdon is still in Australia by any chance would u????
Cheif
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by zook60 » 10 Jun 2014, 1:06 pm

Cheif wrote:Other than ADI I didn't think any of those ere still available in Australia thank you mate I will do so hunting to try and find some thank you for all ur help

NIOA bring in ADI, Alliant and Vihtavuori
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing