Warranty work on new lever action?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Warranty work on new lever action?

Post by von_klitzing » 07 Jun 2014, 11:35 am

Ok I purchased a new Chiappa 1892 .357 magnum lever action last week from an interstate gun shop and picked it up from my LGS yesterday.

I took a look at it last night and found the magazine tube was rattling around. On close inspection the dovetail for the retainer clip is damaged. This means the clip is retained, but loose.

This damage to the barrel itself. It's supposed to be a brand new rifle... See pic attached:

I will be contacting the gun shop on Tuesday about it. Do you think the firearm should be replaced or should/could it be repaired?

I'll have to send it back to Victoria to get anything done to it :(
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Warranty work on new lever action?

Post by wrenchman » 08 Jun 2014, 12:08 am

I don't no how the laws are there but here we have to send the gun back for repair they won't swap the gun after the paper work is done.

If they can't repair the gun they send a new one and paper work starts over.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Norton » 09 Jun 2014, 6:24 pm

I say you're entitled to a refund or replacement. I wouldn't accept a repair if they offer it.

Read this Fair Trading QLD page, but here are the key points. - http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/marke ... tees-goods

Consumer guarantees applying to goods

Acceptable quality

A business guarantees that goods will be of acceptable quality. This means they must:

• be fit for all of its usual purposes
  • look acceptable in appearance and finish
  • have no defects
  • be safe
  • be durable

Accurate description

A business guarantees that their description of goods is accurate. The business cannot argue that you inspected the goods before buying them and should have noticed any errors in the description.

That doesn't match a 'new' description to me either.

You'd be entitled to a refund or replacement according to the page linked.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Vati » 09 Jun 2014, 6:27 pm

wrenchman wrote:I don't no how the laws are there but here we have to send the gun back for repair they won't swap the gun after the paper work is done.

That's not the way here. In New South Wales here in Aus you're definitely entitled to a refund, replacement or repair at your choice if a product is faulty out of the box.

Firearm or otherwise.

I'm 99% sure this is the case across all Australia. There is a Fair Trading body in every state and there rules are more or less the same as far as I know.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Streamline » 09 Jun 2014, 6:30 pm

wrenchman wrote:I don't no how the laws are there but here we have to send the gun back for repair they won't swap the gun after the paper work is done.

That's s**t :(

Here if something is faulty within I think it's 14 days it's "dead on arrival" and you get a refund. Applies to all retail I think.

Outside of that it goes to repair.
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker 30-06SPR
Sako M591 .243WIN
CZ ZKM 452 .22LR
Streamline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by buster » 09 Jun 2014, 6:31 pm

Streamline wrote:Here if something is faulty within I think it's 14 days it's "dead on arrival" and you get a refund. Applies to all retail I think.

I used to do retail electronics, it was 14 days like you say.
Mossberg MVP Varmint .223 Rem
Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40

Howa 1500 Stainless .308 Win
Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40
buster
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 09 Jun 2014, 6:33 pm

Norton's link has heaps of good info.

The thing I'd add is that if they don't honour it put in a complaint with fair trading ASAP.

A phone call from them to the retailer to give them a kick up the ass works a treat.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing