Name some actions

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Name some actions

Post by Chronos » 24 Jun 2014, 8:26 pm

squirrelhunter wrote:
MeccaOz wrote:It doesnt have to group 1/64" groups at 1000 yards but a good solid action, that wont s**t the tin at the most inopportune time..

Anything in a Mauser style action.

Never fails ;)

This could be a good starting point

Winchester M70 Action.

But it's not something I'd start with for a .22 cal light hunting gun

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 25 Jun 2014, 12:19 am

Thanks heapsss guys, and Ive been pouring over usedguns like a teenage boy with a new playboy Chronos :lol:
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Hadoku » 25 Jun 2014, 4:08 pm

Could always look at a second hand rifle and strip it for the action, instead of buying a new one.

Probably the same price and you'd end up with spares or other parts to muck about with in your projects.
Hadoku
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 25 Jun 2014, 5:06 pm

Hadoku wrote:Could always look at a who rifle second hand and strip it for the action, instead of buying a new one.

Probably the same price and you'd end up with spares or other parts to muck about with in your projects.

OK Im a dummy whats a "Who" rifle ? And yeah I am looking at 2nd handies mate. Got a mate in Perth checking out gunshops too. I'm pretty sure it will end up being a 220 swift, which I do want, but I really need a cheaper centerfire in the 20-22 caliber range. Which will probably be a 204 ( Thanks to Chronos for explaining them to me ) or a 223, 22-250, something rather common I can get cheap/er ammo for anywhere. But first I need to wait on my 308 to get licensed and then spend some time on that :mrgreen:
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Hadoku » 27 Jun 2014, 12:17 pm

That's me having a brain fart and typing nonsense.

I meant to say buy a second hand rifle and strip it for the action.

Updated my reply.
Hadoku
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 27 Jun 2014, 1:50 pm

Another thing to consider is buying a new gun in say .243 and have a gunsmith blow the chamber out either to an improved or even bigger, say6mm rem or 6-284 but this might mean changing bolt stops and magazines

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 27 Jun 2014, 2:49 pm

Chronos wrote:Another thing to consider is buying a new gun in say .243 and have a gunsmith blow the chamber out either to an improved or even bigger, say6mm rem or 6-284 but this might mean changing bolt stops and magazines

Actually I was chatting to a mate the other night, and he suggested a 22/243, and considering it looks like I'll be building a barrel burner anyway.

Apparently there are a few 22/243's around so I may be able to get some thoughts and knowledge from a few others.

Also I'm thinking I might get a Howa action and have it blueprinted if anyone in Australia does them?
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by mausermate » 29 Jun 2014, 3:11 pm

Montana Firearms make a great copy of a control round feed Mauser and the actions are imported to AUS by Tasko. They don't come cheap but are a new handmade custom 98 action and slick as! You'll struggle to buy better for a custom hunting rifle.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 29 Jun 2014, 3:18 pm

mausermate wrote:Montana Firearms make a great copy of a control round feed Mauser and the actions are imported to AUS by Tasko. They don't come cheap but are a new handmade custom 98 action and slick as! You'll struggle to buy better for a custom hunting rifle.

OK that officially made me drool :D
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Hadoku » 29 Jun 2014, 3:59 pm

MeccaOz wrote:Actually I was chatting to a mate the other night, and he suggested a 22/243, and considering it looks like I'll be building a barrel burner anyway.

Apparently there are a few 22/243's around so I may be able to get some thoughts and knowledge from a few others.

22-243 hey. That must be real close to a 22-250? Just a hair more case capacity?

Wondering how much better it can be for the effort of running a wildcat?
Hadoku
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 29 Jun 2014, 4:15 pm

Hadoku wrote:
MeccaOz wrote:Actually I was chatting to a mate the other night, and he suggested a 22/243, and considering it looks like I'll be building a barrel burner anyway.

22-243 hey. That must be real close to a 22-250? Just a hair more case capacity?

I'd say quite a bit more.

The 22-250 case volume is 43gr if water, the .243 case volume is 54gr of water. They are not the same case.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Mark TAC » 01 Jul 2014, 10:02 pm

^^^ But for the effort is it worth it? Without looking at the numbers I'd suspect .223WSM would do it just fine, or .220 Swift.
Maker of carbon fibre / Kevlar(TM) tactical stocks
www.MSTactical.com

CZ 452 .22 - Leupy 2-7x33
Rem700 VSF .22/250 - Bushnell Elite 4200 6-20x40
Rem700 Sendero .300WinMag - Leupold 3.5-10x40 LR/T
Sako L461 custom .222 - Sighton SII 3-9x42
Mark TAC
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Hadoku » 02 Jul 2014, 12:08 pm

Chronos wrote:
Hadoku wrote:22-243 hey. That must be real close to a 22-250? Just a hair more case capacity?

I'd say quite a bit more.

The 22-250 case volume is 43gr if water, the .243 case volume is 54gr of water. They are not the same case.

I was going from memory at the time but obviously I remembered them wrong. Off the top of my head I thought they were much closer than that.

My bad.
Hadoku
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 02 Jul 2014, 2:26 pm

No worries, wasn't having a go mate :)

In fact I reckon for smal pests the 250 savage case is about right, I'd like to play with one necked out to 6mm, less speed than a .243 but more than a .223 shooting 55-65 gr pills.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by mausermate » 02 Jul 2014, 2:46 pm

243/250... Interesting.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by squirrelhunter » 05 Jul 2014, 6:36 pm

Mark TAC wrote:the master of the 3" group :-0

That almost sounds like a compliment.

Almost :lol:
Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308
Bushnell 3-9x 40mm - Multi-X
squirrelhunter