Stock repairs

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Stock repairs

Post by bluerob » 24 Jun 2014, 9:30 am

Does anyone know of a timber stock repairer located on or near NSW Central Coast?

I've got a Brno model 1 where there's are some chips (chipped pieces retained) near the butt plate. Dropped by my brother.....

I'm not worried about a full restoration (it's staying with me so patina etc isn't an issue). A total restoration would be good I guess? It shoots incredibly well. Almost as good as my 1813.

I was referred to one business (no names), but service and attitude was abysmal.

Cheers & best wishes to all.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Stock repairs

Post by Shotfox » 24 Jun 2014, 11:53 am

bluerob wrote:Does anyone know of a timber stock repairer located on or near NSW Central Coast?

I've got a Brno model 1 where there's are some chips (chipped pieces retained) near the butt plate. Dropped by my brother.....

I'm not worried about a full restoration (it's staying with me so patina etc isn't an issue). A total restoration would be good I guess? It shoots incredibly well. Almost as good as my 1813.

I was referred to one business (no names), but service and attitude was abysmal.

Cheers & best wishes to all.

If the repairs are relatively minor then take the stock along to the "old mans shed" these guys restore toys and furniture for people as a charity and they do a good job as most of them are retired old school tradies that take pride in their work.
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 24 Jun 2014, 1:25 pm

There's a well known stock builder/repairer up your way....buggered if I can think of his name ATM

I'll post back when it comes to me

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Mark TAC » 24 Jun 2014, 7:58 pm

sounds like a good excuse to glue the chips back in, spend a few nights with a sanding block, then some oil............. :)

I have recently dived into my first walnut stock and am so glad I did
Maker of carbon fibre / Kevlar(TM) tactical stocks
www.MSTactical.com

CZ 452 .22 - Leupy 2-7x33
Rem700 VSF .22/250 - Bushnell Elite 4200 6-20x40
Rem700 Sendero .300WinMag - Leupold 3.5-10x40 LR/T
Sako L461 custom .222 - Sighton SII 3-9x42
Mark TAC
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Warrigul » 24 Jun 2014, 9:57 pm

Mark TAC wrote:sounds like a good excuse to glue the chips back in, spend a few nights with a sanding block, then some oil............. :)

I have recently dived into my first walnut stock and am so glad I did

I've seen a few epoxy pressure glued stock repairs recently and am very impressed, however if PVA glue or oil are in the wood it can't be done.

I am not sure if the epoxy repair is common yet or not.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bluerob » 25 Jun 2014, 9:48 am

Thanks for the replies.

The men's shed might be a problem - do they require a firearms dealers license to repair guns if it's a commercial activity?

I'm not in major hurry.

I might find someone at the up coming gun shows.

Thanks again.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 25 Jun 2014, 10:50 am

Not if it's just the stock you take in mate. but if you take the whole deal in then yup and a photocopy of your license.

EDIT: Sorry for some reason I thought you were in WA ( yeah I need bigger glasses ) But It may be the same there.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by whert » 25 Jun 2014, 9:18 pm

bluerob wrote:The men's shed might be a problem - do they require a firearms dealers license to repair guns if it's a commercial activity?

99% sure stocks aren't controlled at all in NSW right?

Like Mecca said, take the action out of the stock and take him just the timber. That's all you're looking for right?

I've done the same here for engraving... Just take the bits which don't go bang.
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bluerob » 29 Jun 2014, 9:24 am

I'll look into the old man's shed idea.

Thanks again.
bluerob