9mm Feeding Problems

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

9mm Feeding Problems

Post by Baldrick314 » 27 Jun 2014, 1:50 pm

The match I normally shoot with my Glock only uses 5 rounds per mag and I've never had feeding issues during this match. The other day I had a go at IPSC and I encountered sporadic jamming.

The guy I was shooting with suggested a couple fixes. First up was to leave the mags loaded overnight to loosen up the springs so they'd feed better when fully loaded. I tried this but then next time I shot I had the same jamming issue.

Next it was suggested to me to polish the feed ramp with autosol for smoother feeding. I did this last night but won't be able to test it till tomorrow.

Any other suggestions incase polishing doesn't help?

The jamming only happens during rapid fire while the mags are full or near fully loaded.

Thanks for any suggestions
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: 9mm Feeding Problems

Post by MeccaOz » 27 Jun 2014, 2:28 pm

have you changed projectile types ( different shoulders ) ? Also one thing struck me is that magazine springs these days are alot better, just guessing here but I would assume months and months of leaving your mag loaded before it started to lose strength. Maybe a lighter spring ?

EDIT : One suggestion comes to mind ... Get an STI :mrgreen: <--- Sorry I had to say it lol
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 27 Jun 2014, 2:51 pm

MeccaOz wrote:have you changed projectile types ( different shoulders ) ? Also one thing struck me is that magazine springs these days are alot better, just guessing here but I would assume months and months of leaving your mag loaded before it started to lose strength. Maybe a lighter spring ?

EDIT : One suggestion comes to mind ... Get an STI :mrgreen: <--- Sorry I had to say it lol

:lol: that's everyone's first advice!

I did notice the mags were easier to load after leaving them compressed so it made some kind of difference.

I'm using conical projectiles at the moment. It was suggested to change to round nose but that's a last resort for me cos the conical load is accurate and works fine in all other regards, plus I have a heap of conicals lol
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 27 Jun 2014, 4:46 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:
MeccaOz wrote:have you changed projectile types ( different shoulders ) ? Also one thing struck me is that magazine springs these days are alot better, just guessing here but I would assume months and months of leaving your mag loaded before it started to lose strength. Maybe a lighter spring ?

:lol: that's everyone's first advice!

I did notice the mags were easier to load after leaving them compressed so it made some kind of difference.

I'm using conical projectiles at the moment. It was suggested to change to round nose but that's a last resort for me cos the conical load is accurate and works fine in all other regards, plus I have a heap of conicals lol

hats fair enough, but it makes me wonder since I assume they were working before you tried the new disapline, I's say either a feed ramp, or mag spring would have to be the issue, but Im no guru. Is your feed ramp integral or is there any possibility it shifts even a hair ? As you can see I know nothing of the Glock, Im assuming it's fitted to the barrel though ..
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 27 Jun 2014, 5:08 pm

The only changes are that I'm loading 10 rounds in the mag instead of 5 and I shoot a lot more rapidly in IPSC than I would in my standard match so I'm assuming it's one of those factors.

Yeah the feed ramp is integral to the barrel so it can't shift.

Hopefully the polishing will fix the issue
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 27 Jun 2014, 5:23 pm

Yeah it's odd, Do the jams happen in the first 5 shots because if it was a mag spring issue Id say spring tension if they do ..
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 27 Jun 2014, 7:05 pm

MeccaOz wrote:Yeah it's odd, Do the jams happen in the first 5 shots because if it was a mag spring issue Id say spring tension if they do ..

Yeah it's always the first 3 or so shots
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 28 Jun 2014, 9:14 am

Are you letting the trigger reset after each shot?

I've seen guys at my club try rapid fire and have stove pipes, feeding jams etc on Glocks and found that they weren't allowing the trigger to reset.

I'm also told that because these handguns are essentially designed for LE/military use (hotter loads) they don't like light loads and won't cycle.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 28 Jun 2014, 11:31 am

Went out today and fired a couple full mags as quick as I could, no jams so I'd say polishing the feed ramp fixed it.

Bluerob yeah I fully release the trigger each time and I'm running relatively heavy loads.

Thanks for the help everyone :)
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by squirrelhunter » 02 Jul 2014, 9:39 am

Baldrick314 wrote:I did notice the mags were easier to load after leaving them compressed so it made some kind of difference.

I can't offer any advice on pistols specifically but on magazines in general, I do say they need a bit of work/use to smooth out.

I've used a few, especially my Scout mag, which was a pain in the ass to load and feed when I first got it. I loaded and unloaded it a bunch of times and left it loaded to wear it all in and smooth it out and everything got better.
Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308
Bushnell 3-9x 40mm - Multi-X
squirrelhunter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 02 Jul 2014, 1:31 pm

squirrelhunter wrote:
Baldrick314 wrote:I did notice the mags were easier to load after leaving them compressed so it made some kind of difference.

I can't offer any advice on pistols specifically but on magazines in general, I do say they need a bit of work/use to smooth out.

I've used a few, especially my Scout mag, which was a pain in the ass to load and feed when I first got it. I loaded and unloaded it a bunch of times and left it loaded to wear it all in and smooth it out and everything got better.

Did your scout mag leave scratches on your brass at first? I have 3 metal scout mags and they all leave scratches on my brass
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by squirrelhunter » 07 Jul 2014, 8:42 am

Yep it did.

Quite deep to start with too, catch your fingernail in it deep.

It smoothed itself out over time some, and I gave it a little polish after a while too to help it along.
Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308
Bushnell 3-9x 40mm - Multi-X
squirrelhunter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing