Shortening Hogue Stocks

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Shortening Hogue Stocks

Post by MeccaOz » 01 Jul 2014, 8:02 pm

Hey gurus, can anyone tell me if Hogue overmoulded stocks are solid rubber/plastic in the butt ? If they are can they be shortened ?
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Re: Shortening Hogue Stocks

Post by tom604 » 01 Jul 2014, 8:38 pm

you could try a gunsmith? or go to boyds and get another one for 100 bucks + post,,they look nice,im thinking of getting one myself
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 01 Jul 2014, 9:14 pm

tom604 wrote:you could try a gunsmith? or go to boyds and get another one for 100 bucks + post,,they look nice,im thinking of getting one myself

I could always get a a hogue custom job, sent through there Aussie dealer too. But Instead of all that, could I just get a gunsmith to do it, I know a while ago, alot of smiths wouldnt touch synthetic stocks.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Warrigul » 01 Jul 2014, 9:23 pm

MeccaOz wrote:Hey gurus, can anyone tell me if Hogue overmoulded stocks are solid rubber/plastic in the butt ? If they are can they be shortened ?

I found mine a bit long positional so I took the original butt pad off and made a thinner one from silicone.

I didn't want to wreck the stock but it could be shortened, it is hollow. I still have my .223 I will take a photo in the next day or so.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by MeccaOz » 01 Jul 2014, 9:34 pm

Warrigul wrote:
MeccaOz wrote:Hey gurus, can anyone tell me if Hogue overmoulded stocks are solid rubber/plastic in the butt ? If they are can they be shortened ?

I found mine a bit long positional so I took the original butt pad off and made a thinner one from silicone.

I didn't want to wreck the stock but it could be shortened, it is hollow. I still have my .223 I will take a photo in the next day or so.

Thanks mate, mucho appreciated :) .. Being of the vertically challenged type, I can rarely get an off the shelf to fit me properly :)
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by balter » 02 Jul 2014, 4:09 pm

MeccaOz wrote:I know a while ago, alot of smiths wouldnt touch synthetic stocks.

I read that a lot for rifle bedding. Can't get the bedding compound to stick to the stock they say.
balter
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by VICHunter » 02 Jul 2014, 4:11 pm

I know one bloke who will bed synthetic stocks, but yeah - forming a solid, long lasting bond is an issue.

He grinds out and roughs up the whole inlet with all sorts of deep groves. Almost like it's in there with mechanical lock instead of adhesive.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Mark TAC » 02 Jul 2014, 10:28 pm

Balter and VicHunter, you guys are talking about plastic stocks that are polypropylene or polyethylene with some fibres. Basically the cheap ones that are like soft drink bottle plastic and some fibreglass all melted up and moulded. Yes, nothing sticks to that. Think 1970's windsurfer, a Sulo bin, that kind of moulding.

A real synthetic stock is made of glass/carbon fibre etc laminated with a resin. Think the skin on a surfboard or like what a 'graphite' or 'fibreglass' fishing rod is made from. Think Mcmillan, Manners, MSTactical ;) ............ They are easy - a bit of roughing up and cleaning and they are easy to bond to.

The difference is not hard to spot if you think about the waxy and soft feel of cheap mouldings vs. the rigidity and 'glassy' feel of proper laminates..

However with a Hogue we all know the rubber outside is "overmoulded" as they state. Over what is the question. Mecca man, happy to have a look if you wish (or if you can find out what's inside). If it fibreglass or alloy underneath it would be easy to cut it down and laminate a new "flat" on the butt and add threaded inserts for your recoil pad.
Maker of carbon fibre / Kevlar(TM) tactical stocks
www.MSTactical.com

CZ 452 .22 - Leupy 2-7x33
Rem700 VSF .22/250 - Bushnell Elite 4200 6-20x40
Rem700 Sendero .300WinMag - Leupold 3.5-10x40 LR/T
Sako L461 custom .222 - Sighton SII 3-9x42
Mark TAC
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 03 Jul 2014, 4:02 am

Mark TAC wrote:Balter and VicHunter, you guys are talking about plastic stocks that are polypropylene or polyethylene with some fibres. Basically the cheap ones that are like soft drink bottle plastic and some fibreglass all melted up and moulded. Yes, nothing sticks to that. Think 1970's windsurfer, a Sulo bin, that kind of moulding.

A real synthetic stock is made of glass/carbon fibre etc laminated with a resin. Think the skin on a surfboard or like what a 'graphite' or 'fibreglass' fishing rod is made from. Think Mcmillan, Manners, MSTactical ;) ............ They are easy - a bit of roughing up and cleaning and they are easy to bond to.

The difference is not hard to spot if you think about the waxy and soft feel of cheap mouldings vs. the rigidity and 'glassy' feel of proper laminates..

However with a Hogue we all know the rubber outside is "overmoulded" as they state. Over what is the question. Mecca man, happy to have a look if you wish (or if you can find out what's inside). If it fibreglass or alloy underneath it would be easy to cut it down and laminate a new "flat" on the butt and add threaded inserts for your recoil pad.

Hey Mark Tac, sorry I didn't even think to get hold of you. It;s on a gun I'm looking at buying. I'd be happy to send you the stock if/when I buy it. That would be awesome actually. I'f it can be done I'm sure you are the man to yo do it :)
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by VICHunter » 07 Jul 2014, 8:53 am

Mark TAC wrote:Balter and VicHunter, you guys are talking about plastic stocks that are polypropylene or polyethylene with some fibres. Basically the cheap ones that are like soft drink bottle plastic and some fibreglass all melted up and moulded. Yes, nothing sticks to that. Think 1970's windsurfer, a Sulo bin, that kind of moulding.

A real synthetic stock is made of glass/carbon fibre etc laminated with a resin.

I realise that. I think we're just arguing terminology here.

Standard black plastic stocks to me are 'synthetic', the stocks you went on to describe are 'laminate'. In my book...
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing