Reducing number of flyers

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Reducing number of flyers

Post by franc » 05 Jul 2014, 4:37 pm

Hi guys,

I'm hoping there are some good basics for reducing the numbers of flyers from hand loads?

I have the RCBS reloading kit and I'd like to work with what I've got if I can do it. Can't really spent much more on competition level reloading gear or something. (not that I need it anyway).

Any good basics I might not know?

Thanks in advance.
Remington 700. .308 Winchester.
franc
Private
Private

Tasmania

Re: Reducing number of flyers

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Jul 2014, 5:49 pm

Provided you are using quality powder, primers and projectiles the only variables left are human error, case density, barrel temp, neck tension, and cross wind to name a few.

Work on some of those , look at f class style rests for testing to remove the human factor, ensure all your cases are the same brand, even measure their volume and keep a bunch together with the same volume.

Work on that kind of stuff and you will be able to shoot the eye out if a newt at 300 Mrs every shot.

W.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Yelp » 07 Jul 2014, 2:33 pm

Consistency is obviously the key.

You've got the RCBS Rock Chucker kit I guess?

It's a perfectly fine kit but there is only so much you can do with the basics. You could...

Make sure your powder charges are as consistent as possible.
Make sure bullet seating depth is consistent.
You could batch your projectiles by weight.
Look how measuring the capacity of your brass and batch your brass by weight.
Keep your necks evenly trimmed to the same length.

Neck tension is a biggy, but this will need more equipment which your probably won't want to buy. e.g Bushing dies and neck turning equipment.

More info on these in some other topics here already:

Bushing dies

Does anyone here neck turn?

Recommend me neck turning gear
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by franc » 08 Jul 2014, 11:55 am

Thanks guys.

I'll get through those threads, Yelp, and see what questions I've got left :)
franc
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by harlow » 08 Jul 2014, 12:00 pm

On my phone and searching sucks... There is a topic on here from Chronos somewhere with heaps of good pics of case prep with squaring the case head before turning the necks.

Do a search or PM him or whatever, should be interesting for you.
Savage 25 Lightweight Varminter .223 Rem
Savage Model 25 LVT .17HMR
harlow
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Monty » 09 Jul 2014, 3:20 pm

Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 09 Jul 2014, 9:35 pm

franc wrote:Thanks guys.

Before you get too far into it what are you reloading for? Hunting, Fly, F Class, Target rifle. What are your group sizes already like? What rifle are you using?

There's a lot of accuracy to be had through simple steps a long way before you start spending on neck turning gear, bushing dies etc etc.

Half inch groups at 100 are easily achievable with pretty much standard reloading gear, as long as the rifle and you are up to it.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Apollo » 09 Jul 2014, 10:50 pm

franc wrote:Thanks guys.

Consistancy in what you do in any reloading is one of the biggest goals in achieving accuracy.

Flyers can be caused from any of a dozen reasons and the biggest is yourself and self control.

So many people can shoot a nice 3-4 shot group at whatever distance then the last shot is a mile away. Not a reloading issue, it's a Brain issue.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by franc » 11 Jul 2014, 11:13 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Provided you are using quality powder, primers and projectiles the only variables left are human error

Forgot to answer this.

At the moment I have ADI powders, Remington brass and CCI primers.

I know materials aren't everything and I'm obviously working on the human error side as well ;)
franc
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by franc » 11 Jul 2014, 11:26 am

Warrigul wrote:Before you get too far into it what are you reloading for? Hunting, Fly, F Class, Target rifle. What are your group sizes already like? What rifle are you using?

Half inch groups at 100 are easily achievable with pretty much standard reloading gear, as long as the rifle and you are up to it.

Hi Warrigul,

I have a .308 Remington 700 (updated my signature).

It's an all-purpose rifle for me and my first rifle. I'm new to all this.

I will be using it for hunting and target shooting for fun. Just for fun, not competitively, but I'd like to be half decent at it :lol:.

At the moment I'm shooting about 2" groups but a lot of that is me. A friend who's had a little more practice shoots a little over 1" with it. And both of us get a few flyers which is what brought me to the forum.

I'd be a very happy camper if I was shooting 1/2" groups at 100m. That would be plenty.
franc
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Lorgar » 11 Jul 2014, 11:34 am

Apollo wrote:So many people can shoot a nice 3-4 shot group at whatever distance then the last shot is a mile away. Not a reloading issue, it's a Brain issue.

Ha ha. I've been there.

Breaking in my .22 a while ago I shot a top 4 shot group on my way to 5. The heart rate goes up a beat for that last shot.

You know it's either going to go through the same hole, or be 2 inches off :lol:

A little cheer went off in my head when I put it through the same hole, ha ha.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing