Sako L461 safety "modification"

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Sako L461 safety "modification"

Post by Mark TAC » 10 Jul 2014, 10:00 pm

Hey all.

I am about to Cerakote my Sako and as a result removed the safety lever from the trigger assy to soak everything in acetone.

Made me notice the protrusion at the front that moves UP as safety is engaged, and it sticks into the root of the bolt handle. Thus bolt can't be lifted when safety is on. I thought it is worth cutting that part off, so then I will still have a safety, but can cycle the bolt in safe.

Any downsides?

I can't see any, but just in case I missed something.....?
Maker of carbon fibre / Kevlar(TM) tactical stocks
www.MSTactical.com

CZ 452 .22 - Leupy 2-7x33
Rem700 VSF .22/250 - Bushnell Elite 4200 6-20x40
Rem700 Sendero .300WinMag - Leupold 3.5-10x40 LR/T
Sako L461 custom .222 - Sighton SII 3-9x42
Mark TAC
Private
Private

Western Australia

Re: Sako L461 safety "modification"

Post by Apollo » 10 Jul 2014, 11:27 pm

Why cut it off...??? Just leave it as it is and don't use it.

In the past 50 years of shooting I don't think I have ever used a "Safety" other than test to see what happens with that lever. Of the rifles I own one third don't even have a safety at all, the other each third the safety works in reverse depending on breed so save the confusion and don't use it. I don't carry a firearm at all with a live round chambered unless I am about to fire it, then if not the round is extracted especially carrying or transported.

Nobody and I mean nobody will bring a loaded firearm into my vehicle or point it anywhere other than at a target when I'm around.

The Sako 85 has a nice feature, with the safety engaged you have a button in front that you can press and release the bolt lock without releasing the trigger safety. Do I use it no.... other than see how it worked.

You made me go look at my Sako S491 Single Shot to see if it actually had a safety. yes it has but I've never used it until tonight. Yep it locks the bolt, would I remove it, no .... I have no reason to modify what works perfectly fine if required.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by RDobber » 10 Jul 2014, 11:29 pm

I know the bit you're talking about and I've read comments from other blokes who've done it.

At a glance I didn't see a downside, but then I didn't design the rifle action and safety either... How familiar am I with it really?

I don't know about you, but I'm not confident enough to start removing parts of my safety.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Westy » 11 Jul 2014, 7:26 am

^^^^^^^ Hey Apollo

In the past 50 years of shooting I don't think I have ever used a "Safety" other than test to see what happens with that lever. Of the rifles I own one third don't even have a safety at all, the other each third the safety works in reverse depending on breed so save the confusion and don't use it. I don't carry a firearm at all with a live round chambered unless I am about to fire it, then if not the round is extracted especially carrying or transported.

Nobody and I mean nobody will bring a loaded firearm into my vehicle or point it anywhere other than at a target when I'm around

You are welcome to come hunting\shooting with me anytime Apollo nice to see I'm not the only one who hates the idea of safety's on rifles, my old man drummed it into us we were the safety catch and not to trust something someone else we didn't know had made. I mean just ask the boys at Remington at present their in a world a pain over someone else's stupidity!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 11 Jul 2014, 8:17 am

Westy wrote:^^^^^^^ Hey Apollo

You are welcome to come hunting\shooting with me anytime Apollo nice to see I'm not the only one who hates the idea of safety's on rifles, my old man drummed it into us we were the safety catch and not to trust something someone else we didn't know had made. I mean just ask the boys at Remington at present their in a world a pain over someone else's stupidity!!!!

I also agree. The safety as it's called is no excuse for carrying a rifle with a chambered round and the bolt closed. I'm sure there are probably situations where it's safe but I see no benefit in it.

As for modifying the sako safety. I've never seen it but IMHO it MAY and I stress may cause grief is the firearm is ever scrutinised in the end editable situation of an accidental discharge where people or property is injured or damaged. If you are found to have removed or disabled a firearms "safety" feature it could open you up to unwanted attention.

Not to mention another situation where you register for a government shooting program for example and they require a gunsmiths certificate that the firearm is safe. I'd guess that the smith might knock it back if the safety is modified but I'm not a gunsmith.

You may also reduce the value if the gun but that's of no concern if you plan on keeping it as most sako owners do ;)

Anyway more to the point, where's the pics of the rifle and what colour are you going to coat it? :)

Chronos

Edit: I forgot to mention if a rifle has an internal mag a 3 position safety is essential so you can empty the magazine safely by cycling the bolt. A problem overcome by having a floorplate that drops the rounds out of the mag.
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 11 Jul 2014, 9:17 am

I nearly fell from my chair and spilt my quad shot of Guatemalan when I read government shooting program...... The only type we would see is the program where they take the guns away...

But re safeties....I treat them like they don't exist... A safe firearm is an UNLOADED FIREARM that is, EMPTY CHAMBER.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 11 Jul 2014, 9:55 am

1290 wrote:I nearly fell from my chair and spilt my quad shot of Guatemalan when I read government shooting program...... The only type we would see is the program where they take the guns away...

At the risk of bring off topic I as a matter of fact participating in a shoot next week today's oars of the new gov shooting in NP program in NSW.

The last one a month or so ago saw 4 volunteer shooters bag 6 deer, 5 pigs, 20 foxes and 120 rabbits in two days shooting in national parks

Chronos

Edit: correction, it was quite a bit longer than a month ago.
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Herdsman » 11 Jul 2014, 1:56 pm

Google thinks I'm in New Zealand at the moment for some reason... Anyway... A quick Google and I found a few NZ gunsmiths that do the mod. Seems common enough?

Maybe find a couple of Aus guys and call them and see what someone more experienced thinks. They might know of some pit falls that aren't immediately obvious if you decided to DIY?
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Carter » 11 Jul 2014, 2:04 pm

Chronos wrote:I'd guess that the smith might knock it back if the safety is modified but I'm not a gunsmith.

I think you're right.

This is a bit of a segway but similar... You know how cars with a screen in them have safety features like the screen switches off when the car is moving, or you can't press the buttons while moving etc?

I've read of people who've disabled these things so you can operate the screen while driving. Later they've had an regular accident which was nothing to do with the screen but because they'd "disabled a safety feature" the insurer could knock them back on the claim.

I'm sure they'd treat modifying the workings of a factor safety mechanism the same way. It sure wouldn't be looked upon favourably.
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 11 Jul 2014, 5:45 pm

Herdsman wrote:Google thinks I'm in New Zealand at the moment for some reason... Anyway... A quick Google and I found a few NZ gunsmiths that do the mod. Seems common enough?

Maybe find a couple of Aus guys and call them and see what someone more experienced thinks. They might know of some pit falls that aren't immediately obvious if you decided to DIY?

Sounds like sound advice to me :)

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Mark TAC » 11 Jul 2014, 8:08 pm

Just FWIW I never use the safety on a bolt action either.

Every time I have passed up a shot - even when spotlighting with a target presenting every 30sec - I have removed the round and left bolt to rear.

Also this will not affect the operation of the safety at all. For those not familiar with the Sako, the safety works like any other but it has this "extra" bit of metal running forward a couple of inches so when you engage 'safe' it jams into a slot in the bolt handle so you can't open the bolt.

However this thread had the desired effect: no matter how safe or legal the modification, I never thought about a later firearms check maybe being an issue.

Considering we have Serviceability Certificates here now who knows what we will have later.... :( they might ban anything 'modified' even if the mod is safe (god help us if they do but how much stupid sh!t have we seen...?)

So yes, that alone has turned me off I'll leave it as-is.
www.MSTactical.com

Mark TAC
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Jul 2014, 12:30 pm

Can't say that I use the safety on any of my rifles either, I generally have one chambered but the bolt is up and controlled by my hand, or I will chamber a round whilst squeezing the trigger and when ready its just a matter of lifting the bolt handle up and back down again to cock.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by horter » 14 Jul 2014, 7:44 pm

Mark TAC wrote:So yes, that alone has turned me off I'll leave it as-is.

Post some pics once you've finished the cerakote anyway?

Give a fellow L461 shooter some inspiration :D
Ruger Hawkeye All Weather in .30-06
Sako L61R 7mm Rem Mag
Sako L461 Vixen .222 Rem
Savage 42 combination 22 WMR/410 bore
horter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 14 Jul 2014, 7:46 pm

horter wrote:Post some pics once you've finished the cerakote anyway?

X2 ;)

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Mark TAC » 15 Jul 2014, 2:48 pm

horter wrote:
Mark TAC wrote:So yes, that alone has turned me off I'll leave it as-is.

Post some pics once you've finished the cerakote anyway?

Give a fellow L461 shooter some inspiration :D

Was going to do my brag thread when it's finished lol but OK

IMG_0574.jpg
IMG_0574.jpg (500.96 KiB) Viewed 6772 times

IMG_0585.jpg
IMG_0585.jpg (512.92 KiB) Viewed 6772 times
www.MSTactical.com

Mark TAC
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Jul 2014, 8:03 pm

Looks nice Mark, got a 222 L461AI myself.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by boolia » 16 Jul 2014, 9:54 am

Sexy :D
boolia
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by horter » 16 Jul 2014, 9:55 am

Mark TAC wrote:Was going to do my brag thread when it's finished lol but OK

Looks good mate.

Just do the brag thread as well :lol:
Sako L61R 7mm Rem Mag
Sako L461 Vixen .222 Rem
Savage 42 combination 22 WMR/410 bore
horter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SendIt » 16 Jul 2014, 9:57 am

Quite the old-school Sako fan looking at your sig horter...
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by horter » 16 Jul 2014, 9:57 am

Carrying on the family hand-downs ;)

But I do like 'em.