What grease for my rifle bolt?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

What grease for my rifle bolt?

Post by jastreb » 13 Jul 2014, 10:55 pm

Hi everyone,

What grease for rifle bolt do you guys recommend and where can I get it from?

Cheers
Steyr Pro Varmint .243 [Burris Eliminator III 4-16x50]
Tikka T3 Super Varmint [Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP]
Anschutz 1712 FWT .22 [Tasco 6-24 x44 Target]
Diana Mod54 AirKing .177 [Tasco 3-9 x50]
jastreb
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: What grease?

Post by wrenchman » 13 Jul 2014, 11:55 pm

I don't like grease I clean it out and use light oil grease gets hard in cold weather.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Jul 2014, 2:45 am

For me its molybdenum grease... From any auto store.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 14 Jul 2014, 7:19 am

I use Boretech Extreme grease. It comes in a handy syringe and doesn't dry out and go sticky. I also use it on my barrel tenons when I switch barrels.

Chronos.
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Aster » 14 Jul 2014, 9:37 am

I'm using Boretech too.

All my local stores stock is so yours are probably the same? It's pretty common.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Chronos » 14 Jul 2014, 9:42 am

Aster wrote:I'm using Boretech too.

All my local stores stock is so yours are probably the same? It's pretty common.

i ordered mine with a big bottle of Cu2 copper solvent and a big bottle of C4 carbon solvent from hinterland shooting supplies. they did me a good deal on the package deal ;)

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by SendIt » 14 Jul 2014, 10:27 am

Castol Moly for me.

Any car supplies place. Super Cheap Auto, Bunnings maybe?
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ployer » 14 Jul 2014, 10:40 am

Motor grease on your bolt eh, Sendit?
ployer
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: What grease for my rifle bolt?

Post by jastreb » 14 Jul 2014, 12:25 pm

Hmm, thanks guys. I will get the Boretech product. I use Boretech for everything else. I just didn't use any grease as was told its not necessary, but the bolt on my Anschutz seems to need it. Its a bit stiff. The Tikka is butter smooth even when dry.
jastreb
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 14 Jul 2014, 1:08 pm

jastreb wrote:Hmm, thanks guys. I will get the Boretech product. I use Boretech for everything else. I just didn't use any grease as was told its not necessary, but the bolt on my Anschutz seems to need it. Its a bit stiff. The Tikka is butter smooth even when dry.

In my opinion where metal rubs on metal you always need some form of lubrication, particularly when stainless steel is involved.

Here's a pic if inside my tikka T3 action. You'll see the wear from the back face of the locking lugs. This rifle has probably fired close to 4000 rounds going on the number of 1000 bricks of large rifle primers I have bought. For most of its life I used either gun oil but switched to boretech grease when I started switching barrels on it and noticed the wear inside the action

Chronos

Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Jul 2014, 1:28 pm

I use Tetra on mine, it comes in a little tube and I just put a light smear on the lugs any any other metal to metal areas.

http://www.tetraproducts.com/product_view.asp?ID=1
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by jastreb » 14 Jul 2014, 1:33 pm

Chronos wrote:
jastreb wrote:Hmm, thanks guys. I will get the Boretech product. I use Boretech for everything else. I just didn't use any grease as was told its not necessary, but the bolt on my Anschutz seems to need it. Its a bit stiff. The Tikka is butter smooth even when dry.

In my opinion where metal rubs on metal you always need some form of lubrication, particularly when stainless steel is involved.

Here's a pic if inside my tikka T3 action. You'll see the wear from the back face of the locking lugs. This rifle has probably fired close to 4000 rounds going on the number of 1000 bricks of large rifle primers I have bought. For most of its life I used either gun oil but switched to boretech grease when I started switching barrels on it and noticed the wear inside the action

Chronos

http://s1256.photobucket.com/user/6602steven/media/shooting%20pics/Tikka%20T3/B5791625-3A2F-4239-AB08-2B792A1C83CE_zps8tpy0tkj.jpg.html

I see thanks Chronos. My T3 has only fired 3 rounds, and that was yesterday lol. The Steyr is still unfired. (mostly due to fact I have nowhere to shoot. trying to find some land owner to let me shoot on his property)

Either way, most people agree that a light oil application on all the bolt and small amount of grease on key areas of the bolt are important so I will do that. I like to take care of my tools and toys. Thanks again.
jastreb
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 14 Jul 2014, 1:50 pm

Another Boretech user here.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by SendIt » 14 Jul 2014, 1:51 pm

ployer wrote:Motor grease on your bolt eh, Sendit?

Yep.

No such thing as 'rifle grease' or 'motor grease' etc. really.

It's all just grease and different kinds are suitable for different things. As it happens that has worked well for me on my rifle bolt.

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ebr love » 14 Jul 2014, 1:53 pm

ployer wrote:Motor grease on your bolt eh, Sendit?

Do a little reading on "high impact grease" mate.

That's what a bolt wants.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mausermate » 15 Jul 2014, 2:27 pm

I have always used a powder graphite in preference to grease or oil and it has served me well. It doesn't attract dust and other contaminants like wet lubricants do. With all you lot using grease I am now doubting my thought process :? is there a reason why graphite is not good?
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 16 Jul 2014, 3:52 pm

I don't know anything about using powdered graphite instead, but you're not wrong about attracting contaminants.

I'm pretty sure the firing pin hole of my .243 was actually a little vacuum.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by jastreb » 17 Jul 2014, 11:11 am

mausermate wrote:I have always used a powder graphite in preference to grease or oil and it has served me well. It doesn't attract dust and other contaminants like wet lubricants do. With all you lot using grease I am now doubting my thought process :? is there a reason why graphite is not good?

I can't give you any feedback on that since I had never even heard of powder graphite till yesterday. But I have done some research and my question is this. This is a dry powder..How do you make it stay where you want it? Doesn't it just "fall off" and in that make even more mess as it collects somewhere in the action where you don't want it to be?
jastreb
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Fujix » 18 Jul 2014, 1:12 pm

jastreb wrote:How do you make it stay where you want it? Doesn't it just "fall off" and in that make even more mess as it collects somewhere in the action where you don't want it to be?

I was just wondering this. Seems like it would all just collect in the bottom of the bolt?
Barrett M82 .50 calibre... Ok, not really :(
Fujix
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by mausermate » 18 Jul 2014, 2:11 pm

Fujix wrote:
jastreb wrote:How do you make it stay where you want it? Doesn't it just "fall off" and in that make even more mess as it collects somewhere in the action where you don't want it to be?

I was just wondering this. Seems like it would all just collect in the bottom of the bolt?

Buy some and try some, its not expensive. Think you will get a little surprised. It's also awesome on locks. Puff a little in the key hole. ;)
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 18 Jul 2014, 2:27 pm

i have to admit, i'm leaning towards the castrol moly grease. if i buy a tub of that stuff it will last me a lifetime.

i know purists will say buy the one made for rifles not cars, but does anyone have some detail on the risks of using the castrol moly compared to a purpose 'designed' grease? i tried google but there was nothing to find.

i'm not that experienced with rifles, but for other interests/products i often come across re-branding being the only difference... so i'm always sceptical about marketing! lol
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Jul 2014, 5:00 pm

petemacsydney wrote:i have to admit, i'm leaning towards the castrol moly grease. if i buy a tub of that stuff it will last me a lifetime.

i know purists will say buy the one made for rifles not cars, but does anyone have some detail on the risks of using the castrol moly compared to a purpose 'designed' grease? i tried google but there was nothing to find.

i'm not that experienced with rifles, but for other interests/products i often come across re-branding being the only difference... so i'm always sceptical about marketing! lol

I reckon it will be fine to use Peter, just don't go over using any lube, just a light smear is all that's really needed and don't forget the back of the lugs either, less is more.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SendIt » 22 Jul 2014, 9:08 pm

petemacsydney wrote:i have to admit, i'm leaning towards the castrol moly grease. if i buy a tub of that stuff it will last me a lifetime.

My mechanic was nice enough to give me a tub with 2 inches of grease left in it after I asked.

Been getting my car done there for a while and got the mates favour for it.

Maybe try the same if you can?

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 22 Jul 2014, 11:22 pm

The only place "Grease" should be in a Firearm is on the "Locking Lugs" at the rear or for those that replace / switch barrels on the thread BUT in both circumstances it is just a smear.

The grease for locking lugs should be what is classified as "high pressure grease" in other words like what's use in wheel bearings not chassis grease.

Moly / Graphite High Pressure grease is fine.

The tubes meantioned are exactly that but cost more because they say "Firearms" ....

You should know how to clean not only the rifle bore but the action and you need to clean your bolt. Apply a very light coat of gun oil to protect against corrosion and a smear of grease to the rear of the locking lugs.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Josh Smith » 23 Jul 2014, 2:33 am

Hello,

I've come to prefer Lucas engine assembly lube (prevents dry starts!) That stuff never comes off and works really well with a very thin film.

I use this on my pistol slides as well. If you consider it, every automatic cycle of a semi-automatic pistol is a "dry start".

Regards,

Josh
Josh Smith
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by petemacsydney » 23 Jul 2014, 9:21 am

Apollo wrote:The only place "Grease" should be in a Firearm is on the "Locking Lugs" at the rear or for those that replace...........

oohhhh Crap!, i just soaked by scope and rifle stock in Moly...
;-)
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Harts » 23 Jul 2014, 10:12 pm

It's "wipe" the rifle. Not "dip" the rifle.
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by petemacsydney » 24 Jul 2014, 6:04 pm

lol
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wilso1994 » 24 Jul 2014, 7:12 pm

I use an oil, tetra spray on stuff. It's bloody awesome. 2 quick sprays and it lasts a month or so
Howa 1500 SS .223, Lithgow 12 .22, Stirling .22 Hornet
Wilso1994
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Jul 2014, 10:33 pm

"The tubes meantioned are exactly that but cost more because they say "Firearms" ...Same as wedding cakes $20 today, same cake tomorrow but ordered for a wedding $200, lol Orange cap at the ohs shop $3, orange hunting cap at lgs $25, with splash of black paint. Lol a rip off.

Apollo is correct in my view. Any light oil for the most, bearing grease on lugs. Same for shotguns. 90 gearbox oil for case lube. I wash parts in diesel, because it leaves an oily coat on the metal.
"
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Gunsmithing