What calibre benefits from fluting

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

What calibre benefits from fluting

Post by stevy » 14 Jul 2014, 1:19 pm

I know the gains of fluting are argued a bit but I'm sold on the general theory that its keeping the barrel more rigid is a good thing.

Recoil must come into it though, right?

A .22LR must have so little recoil that the fluting doesn't matter. When do you think it does start to make a difference?

.204 Ruger?
.220 Swift?
.243 Win?
.25-06 Rem?
.270 Win?
etc. etc.

When do you think it's enough to start mattering?
CZ 527 VARMINT 223 REM
CZ 555 308 WIN
stevy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: What calibre benefits from fluting

Post by Noisydad » 15 Jul 2014, 7:39 am

Never
Never
Never
Never
and Never....in that order!

I believe it's a marketing gimmick the same as fluted bolts to make a product look a little different in a market place where everything looks pretty much the same!

Honestly, if you're shooting a 20mm group with a .223 with a round barrel (for instance), are you really, truly going to tell the difference between that and a 20mm group with a fluted barrel?

My 32 year old Tikka m55 .222 (with a round barrel) will still shoot a five shot group that tight and NO fox walks away from that!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 15 Jul 2014, 7:56 am

Barrel fluting is designed to lighten a barrel, nothing more ( perhaps with the side effect of reducing thermal mass helping cooling)

Fluting won't help accuracy. In fact fluting a barrel after manufacture could induce additional stresses in the steel causing other problems, particularly in hammer forged barrels which are stress relieved after manufacture.

Increasing the barrel diameter will help both dampen recoil by increasing mass and make the barrel stiffer.

But heavy profile barrels weigh a lot and most target shooting comps have rifle weight limits so deep flutes cut into a heavy barrel keep weight down while maintaining most of the barrels stiffness.

Both my 6PPC and 6BR barrels are nearly 1" at the muzzle but each has. 6 flutes running the length of the barrel 4 mm deep and 7mm wide. Without these flutes the rifle would not meet the weight limits for the class they are designed for.

Chronos

Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Shotfox » 15 Jul 2014, 9:27 am

Noisydad wrote:Never
Never
Never
Never
I believe it's a marketing gimmick the same as fluted bolts to make a product look a little different in a market place where everything looks pretty much the same! Honestly, if you're shooting a 20mm group with a .223 with a round barrel (for instance), are you really, truly going to tell the difference between that and a 20mm group with a fluted barrel? My 32 year old Tikka m55 .222 (with a round barrel) will still shoot a five shot group that tight and NO fox walks away from that!

You crack me up Noisy :lol: :lol: and Chronos is absolutly correct
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mausermate » 15 Jul 2014, 10:21 am

Does the increased surface area created by fluting assist and increase cooling?
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 15 Jul 2014, 10:29 am

Unless you've got foxes lined up like spectators at the Tour de France how fast are you going to putting shots through?
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Shotfox » 15 Jul 2014, 11:12 am

mausermate wrote:Does the increased surface area created by fluting assist and increase cooling?

As noisy said its mostly a marketing thing however Chronos is correct about the weight issue. Cooling will only benefit ever so slightly as it is not like an air cooled motorcyle traveling at 60k's or something. Fluting tends to giva a certain look to the rifle which attracts buyers a bit like GT stripes on a Holden Gemini.
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 15 Jul 2014, 1:16 pm

Competing at high level is all about the last 1%. Wether it is accurately making ammo, getting the most performance out of equipment, or making sure you're in top physical and mental condition. Fluted barrels are the best way to make the lightest stiffest barrel, they are only marginally stiffer for the same weight but when cost isn't a factor the last 1% may be worth it.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by pmomd » 15 Jul 2014, 2:09 pm

Noisydad wrote:Never
Never
Never
Never

Hang on... Let me write this down so I don't mix it up...
CZ 550 Varmint in .308 Winchester.
Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06 Springfield.
pmomd
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by stevy » 15 Jul 2014, 2:18 pm

Chronos wrote:Barrel fluting is designed to lighten a barrel, nothing more ( perhaps with the side effect of reducing thermal mass helping cooling)

Fluting won't help accuracy. In fact fluting a barrel after manufacture could induce additional stresses in the steel causing other problems, particularly in hammer forged barrels which are stress relieved after manufacture.

Increasing the barrel diameter will help both dampen recoil by increasing mass and make the barrel stiffer.

But heavy profile barrels weigh a lot and most target shooting comps have rifle weight limits so deep flutes cut into a heavy barrel keep weight down while maintaining most of the barrels stiffness.

Sounds like you're saying a few different things here, half of what I said? Going over it again...

A heavy (less recoil, more rigid) barrel is more accurate than a light barrel...

Say 'barrel one' is 3/4 inch and not fluted. If they make 'barrel two' the same except made it 1" thick, and added flutes so the width of the thinest part of the barrel is the original 3/4 inch, you've effectly addedp the flutes...

The added flutes will have made it more rigid, with less recoil, so it's more accurate than 'barrel one' ?
CZ 527 VARMINT 223 REM
CZ 555 308 WIN
stevy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by inervate » 15 Jul 2014, 2:35 pm

mausermate wrote:Does the increased surface area created by fluting assist and increase cooling?

Technically it must. More surface area cools quicker blah, blah blah. I'm sure if you fired a dozen shots with a fluted and non-fluted barrel to heat them up and got a thermometer the fluted barrel will cool a fraction quick.

I'm not convinced it makes much practical difference though.

Fire a dozen rounds and it's sure as s**t still too hot to touch. For the same amount of shooting it feels much same as non-fluted barrels with the same amount of shooting. To my touch this is anyway.

Doesn't increase cooling by any huge amount in any case.
Weatherby Varmintmaster .224 Wby Mag
Tikka T3 Hunter Fluted 30-06
Marlin 57M Levermatic .22 Win Mag
inervate
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Nov 2016, 7:34 pm

I just like the look of fluting I didn't buy mine for any other reason other than they point a little easier than some of my non fluted versions.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 08 Nov 2016, 8:31 pm

Hey, nice thread resurrection BFS :thumbsup:

Got any pics of said beast yet?

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Nov 2016, 9:30 pm

Chronos wrote:Hey, nice thread resurrection BFS :thumbsup:

Got any pics of said beast yet?

Chronos

Nah still waiting on the Postie to do his job :D I'd imagine it will be this week or early next but you never can tell with Government depts hey. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Harper » 17 Nov 2016, 12:20 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I just like the look of fluting I didn't buy mine for any other reason other than they point a little easier than some of my non fluted versions.

Both good reasons :thumbsup:
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Return to Gunsmithing