Fired case stuck in chamber - need help

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Fired case stuck in chamber - need help

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Jul 2014, 9:38 am

Put your cleaning rod down the bore and knock it out. (make sure the bolt handle is open. Make sure the chamber is clean and same with the cases, you may also need to adjust your dies slightly or trim cases?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 16 Jul 2014, 9:56 am

what you can feel when you lift the bolt handle and it gets stiff is the caming action of the bolt trying to extract the case from the chamber.

can i ask what brand of rifle it is? i only ask because if it's a remmington of another brand with the bolt handle soldered to the bolt body avoid hitting the bolt handle back and try as scott said push the case out from the muzzle using a cleaning rod, take care not to bend the rod or damage the muzzle

then you need to work out why it happened. was it a case that slipped into the batch from another rifle? was it a different brand or was it over charged? (probably not if it gave the same point of impact)

good luck with it

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Hardcast » 16 Jul 2014, 9:58 am

Yep, + on that.

May be that one round was on it's limit length wise and needed a trim, it's stretched a bit more now.

Clean the chamber, check all of your brass for length, chamber them before reloading.

If any won't chamber properly after that, I'd partially FLS them and try again.

Check the primer in that round, to see if there are any pressure signs. There may have been a scale malfuntion.
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 16 Jul 2014, 4:11 pm

You underestimate the power of the dark side! (The Mauser action)

Ruger actions are strong, personally I would just give it a strong pull back. I think it'll give once you give it some gusto and you'll get it out without incident.

I suspect you've either split a case or the neck might have flowed into the throat like hardcast said and it's causing it to stick. Either way I suspect it will just pull out, from what you've described.

2c.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 16 Jul 2014, 5:46 pm

i would try what bigfella said with the addition of a spray of innox or similar
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by petemacsydney » 18 Jul 2014, 2:30 pm

would be real interested to know what your case length was?
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Kelix » 22 Jul 2014, 4:07 pm

Lorgar wrote:Ruger actions are strong, personally I would just give it a strong pull back. I think it'll give once you give it some gusto and you'll get it out without incident.

chulley wrote:Did a bit of a combo of advice here to get it out.

Knocked a cleaning rod down while giving the bolt handle some elbow grease.

Good to hear it came out.

I might be a little more careful than Lorgar suggested in future. No worries in this case but different rifle... Different problem... They don't all like you just yanking down on the bolt with a tonne of pressure.

Not having a go at either of ya, you know what I mean I'm sure.
Kelix
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 22 Jul 2014, 4:44 pm

Kelix wrote:
Lorgar wrote:Ruger actions are strong, personally I would just give it a strong pull back. I think it'll give once you give it some gusto and you'll get it out without incident.

chulley wrote:Did a bit of a combo of advice here to get it out.

Knocked a cleaning rod down while giving the bolt handle some elbow grease.

Good to hear it came out.

I might be a little more careful than Lorgar suggested in future. No worries in this case but different rifle... Different problem... They don't all like you just yanking down on the bolt with a tonne of pressure.

Not having a go at either of ya, you know what I mean I'm sure.

More than one remmington has gone to a gun smith to have the bolt handle soldiered back on after a little "pressure" was applied to open it :lol:

Glad you got it out mate but if I were you id be investing in my own vernier calipers rather than just borrowing some. Reloading has its own associated risks and dangers and it's something you really need to invest in to do well.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Wilso1994 » 22 Jul 2014, 5:10 pm

Buy a cheap nylon coated three piece rod to take to the range with you incase it happens again :) also good for walking about as this has happened to me before also in my howa :P
Howa 1500 SS .223, Lithgow 12 .22, Stirling .22 Hornet
Wilso1994
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ployer » 22 Jul 2014, 8:51 pm

Chronos wrote:I were you id be investing in my own vernier calipers rather than just borrowing some.

Only $40 or something at bunnings for a digital pair.
ployer
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 22 Jul 2014, 8:52 pm

Chronos wrote:More than one remmington has gone to a gun smith to have the bolt handle soldiered back on after a little "pressure" was applied to open it :lol:

Silly people buying soldered firearms :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing