Can you suppress a muzzle brake?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Can you suppress a muzzle brake?

Post by Apollo » 08 Aug 2014, 1:22 pm

I'd say no but a suppressor is also a muzzle brake by it's design.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by sooey » 11 Aug 2014, 8:52 am

I've seen it done on TV with some .50 BMG rifles, but it wasn't like a regular screw on suppressor.

It was integrated and huge! Like a sleeve that went over the whole barrel.
Remington 700 CDL chambered in .270 Winchester
Remington 700 CDL chambered in 300 Win Mag
4-16x 40mm Bushnell Elite scopes
sooey
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Skadoo » 11 Aug 2014, 10:14 am

Watching Sons of Guns, Sooey?

I saw the same one.
Skadoo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by sooey » 11 Aug 2014, 10:15 am

That was the one.
Remington 700 CDL chambered in .270 Winchester
Remington 700 CDL chambered in 300 Win Mag
4-16x 40mm Bushnell Elite scopes
sooey
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 11 Aug 2014, 1:39 pm

Apollo wrote:I'd say no but a suppressor is also a muzzle brake by it's design.

Two totally different beasts.

Muzzle brakes vent gas direction-ally to control jump or reduce recoil(think mini thrust jets). A supressor slows down the release of gas to reduce gas escape noise.

IF you cover the vents on a muzzle brake(and if it is a big brake) it will reduce noise a bit but at that time it becomes illegal to posess- take the cover off and it is legal- go figure. But a muzzle break doesn't have the internal volume to make much difference in regards to noise reduction.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Westy » 11 Aug 2014, 1:52 pm

Warrigul wrote:
Apollo wrote:I'd say no but a suppressor is also a muzzle brake by it's design.

Two totally different beasts.

Muzzle brakes vent gas direction-ally to control jump or reduce recoil(think mini thrust jets). A supressor slows down the release of gas to reduce gas escape noise.

IF you cover the vents on a muzzle brake(and if it is a big brake) it will reduce noise a bit but at that time it becomes illegal to posess- take the cover off and it is legal- go figure. But a muzzle break doesn't have the internal volume to make much difference in regards to noise reduction.

It does if you put it in a bucket of wet Cement!!!!!:lol: :D :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Triang » 11 Aug 2014, 2:27 pm

Chulley,

I'm sure you know a muzzle brake redirects some of the gases either to the sides or rear reducing the recoil. With more gas moving towards the shooter instead of away from them it sounds louder.

The 'bang' from a rifle is the expansion of the hot gas from the muzzle. While a suppressor is not designed to reduce recoil per se, it does redirect and slow the expanding gases to reduce the noise. As a side benefit some recoil is reduced.

No doubt someone could build a full recoil reducing muzzle brake combined with an effective suppressor for the best of both worlds. Whether or not it's practical might be another story. Could be too big, too heavy or whatever.

Brake, suppressor, compensator, moderator etc... It comes down to whatever the maker calls it really.
Howa Axiom .308 --- Nikko Stirling Nighteater 3-10x42
Ruger 77/357
Marlin 25N .22 --- Weaver Kaspa 3-9x40
Triang
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by defau » 11 Aug 2014, 2:30 pm

"moderator" is the correct term for the combos from what I've read.
Sako L46 .222
Remington 721 .270
CZ 242 .22
defau
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by threeoh » 20 Aug 2014, 3:21 pm

This is from the FAQ section of the Advanced Armament Corp's website on the subject about their muzzle products.

How do flash hiders affect a suppressor? How about muzzle brakes?
Both our flash hiders and muzzle brakes provide a solid mounting point for our silencers to attach to. Flash hiders have no negative effect on the silencer, but muzzle brakes can actually extend the serviceable life of your can. The blast chambers on our muzzle brakes act as a sacrificial blast baffle and can take the brunt of the weapon’s muzzle blast. There is no sound difference between flash hiders, muzzle brakes or flash suppressing muzzle brakes with the silencer mounted. However, muzzle brakes do tend to produce more noise to the shooter than flash hiders without a silencer attached.
threeoh
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing