WA buying rifle Actions for custom rifle

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

WA buying rifle Actions for custom rifle

Post by MrClark » 09 Aug 2014, 9:37 pm

G'day again,

I'm thinking of building my dream rifle, and have a couple of questions as to how to go about buying actions, barrels, stocks etc. I'm in WA and the rules are a little tighter than everywhere else but should be similar.

So how do you go about building a custom rifle?

Do you talk to a custom maker and say "ay mate this is what I'm after, can you order the parts and build it?"

Or do I source the parts and give them to them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, also does anyone know of a great custom gun maker?

The rifle is going to be a hunting rifle, based on a winchester M70 stainless action, stainless 26in barrel maybe fluted, chambered for .338WM and all sitting in a high grade wood stock Monte Carlo
I really hope Export isn't actually Exported, mighty embarrassing for WA, hahaha I'll still drink it though
MrClark
Private
Private

Western Australia

Re: WA buying rifle Actions for custom rifle

Post by MrClark » 09 Aug 2014, 9:56 pm

Whoops I think this belongs in the gun smithing section hahaha
I really hope Export isn't actually Exported, mighty embarrassing for WA, hahaha I'll still drink it though
MrClark
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 10 Aug 2014, 5:01 am

I think from memory it will be easier if you buy the action first and have it licensed as a complete firearm. From there get the gunsmith to fit the barrel of your choice ( caliber ) and have it relicensed as that caliber ( unless of course it is of the original caliber you had it licensed as.. Which is alot easier ) and go from there
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by cruze82 » 10 Aug 2014, 9:08 am

Go and have a chat to the boys down at Beaton firearms they can build a custom gun for you but I think there is a 5 month wait at the moment.
From memory there is some licencing paperwork in buying a barrel and the action is a almost the same as applying for a new firearm
cruze82
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 10 Aug 2014, 10:37 am

I have recently had a custom rifle built,my father lives and works in the USA which enabled me to sidestep a few difficulties with this process.

Surgeon 591 action,Bartlein 24' barrel with flutes and M11 severe duty muzzle brake in a MDT LSS chassis, the price worked out well Bartlein have a price list on their website as do the action suppliers.

The action was shipped directly from supplier to Bartlein who fitted the custom barrel to the action,Bartlein shipped it back to my father when complete, i bought a trigger and stock.

My PTA has been approved,i will be bringing it back shortly, i have to nominate a firearm dealer they will send the B709 to and that firearm dealer will have to pick it up from customs as they will seize it when i bring it in.
You can bring in your own firearm if you have a PTA for it and customs will seize it until a dealer picks it up, a firearm dealer is required for completing the registration process on previously unregistered firearms.

The problems you will have are ITAR regulations in the USA which will not allow you to purchase products from overseas, you will need a gun dealer in the USA with an export licence which costs them about $2.5K so not many around.

If there was enough interest in custom rifles i could be interested in going for a dealers licence here and in the USA, i am a Resident alien so i can live and work in the USA.
If i was to become a dealer i would only deal with pre paid custom builds and picking up guns from customs that others bring in, no desire to have guns in stock as i cannot read peoples minds and figure out what they want.

You will be able to-
1.Select caliber
2.Select action, ie Surgeon,Deviant,Pierce etc
3.Select barrel,length,twist,flutes,muzzle brakes,SS or chrome moly, etc.
4.Select trigger
5.Select stock and magazines, i prefer drop in modern stocks which don't require a gunsmith.

Lots of advantages with custom rifles, built in picatinny rail makes action stronger and stiffer, integral recoil lugs are a good thing,choice of parts is huge.

If i was a licensed dealer (here + USA) i could do all this over the internet with a credit card, there would only be a couple of hours work for me if that per gun, i live close to the airport so airfreight will take less time in picking up than mail at Granville customs.
If people are interested it would be something i would seriously consider.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by MrClark » 10 Aug 2014, 5:28 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys really helpful, so for me Beatons is about 2 hours away so that's the closest, pretty good mob?
MrClark
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 10 Aug 2014, 6:59 pm

MrClark, top blokes, some good stuff comes out of their too.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by cruze82 » 10 Aug 2014, 7:42 pm

There are only really 2 gun shops in Perth that have gunsmiths beatons and Roy Alexander's both are great shops with really help full guys maybe a phone call to both before you travel 2 hours , I'm sure both will be happy to answer any questions you have or if you have a list of parts pm me and I'll drop it off as I am at both at least once a week spending my food money on shinny things :)
cruze82
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by MrClark » 10 Aug 2014, 7:57 pm

Hahaha yeah good advice mate! Cheers!
MrClark
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 10 Aug 2014, 8:01 pm

Heya Cruze, Forgive my ignorance, I thought Alexanders only did shotguns. Not sure when or where I heard that, so Im more than likely wrong. In saying that My dad did business with them for years and they really are top blokes too.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by cruze82 » 10 Aug 2014, 8:07 pm

I'm not sure they do full custom builds but I have had a rifle worked on there for an extraction issue.
So not just shotguns but I don't think they like to take on huge jobs.
But def beatons I have seen some lovely F class rifles come out of there really works of art
cruze82
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by MrClark » 10 Aug 2014, 11:17 pm

Thanks mate, I'll ring em tommorow
MrClark
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Aster » 11 Aug 2014, 3:30 pm

MrClark wrote:Whoops I think this belongs in the gun smithing section hahaha

Moved for you.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by cruze82 » 13 Aug 2014, 8:51 pm

how did you go MrClark did you find a shop to get it done ?
cruze82
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Supporter » 14 Aug 2014, 1:13 pm

MrClark wrote:The rifle is going to be a hunting rifle, based on a winchester M70 stainless action, stainless 26in barrel maybe fluted, chambered for .338WM and all sitting in a high grade wood stock Monte Carlo

Sounds like a winner.

Expecting photos :D
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Gunsmithing