Mercury recoil reducers

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Mercury recoil reducers

Post by south » 28 Aug 2014, 1:40 pm

Hi guys,

Is anyone using one of the Mercury recoil reducers?

Do they work?

I've used a couple of rifles with thick aftermarket recoil pads which do the job, but make the pull length too long for me over the factory pad.

With one of these in the stock that would solve both problems... If they work...

Any feedback appreciated :)
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Mercury recoil reducers

Post by MeccaOz » 28 Aug 2014, 11:34 pm

Cant help ya South, but I wouldnt mind knowing myself, Ive seen them advertised, but ive wondered if they were just another gimmick??
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by 12gatrap » 29 Aug 2014, 9:10 am

I have a mercury filled one in a 7.62x39 for the lad and it is like shooting a .22!

I have a lead filled one in the 12ga and it makes some difference but not a lot.
12gatrap
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 29 Aug 2014, 2:23 pm

Whats the problem you're wanting to solve; what are these big kickers you want to tame?
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Supporter » 30 Aug 2014, 12:59 pm

I think it's the mercury that's the problem. It's 'toxic' so there is some fuss around importing and shipping them.

Not saying it's impossible to get one, but there's bugger all people selling them AFAIK.

That's why they're not about much here AFAIK.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by south » 30 Aug 2014, 1:01 pm

1290 wrote:Whats the problem you're wanting to solve; what are these big kickers you want to tame?

No monsters, just making it easier on the old bones.

The recoil pads are good but have the length of pull problem like I said. If I could just knock off a bit of recoil without adding to the outside of the stock it would be great.

I asked at the range and gun stores and no one had used one I could find.
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Hercl » 30 Aug 2014, 1:04 pm

I've used one in a 45/70 and reckon there was about 30% less felt recoil?

FYI there are different size ones so be aware of that. Smaller one = less recoil reduction obviously.

The one I was using was about 1" wide by 4" long.

No idea of brand or where the guy got it. Sorry.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Usurper » 30 Aug 2014, 1:06 pm

12gatrap wrote:I have a mercury filled one in a 7.62x39 for the lad and it is like shooting a .22!

I have a lead filled one in the 12ga and it makes some difference but not a lot.

I looked into them ages ago but gave up without getting or using one.

I do remember reading though that mercury was the way to go. There are a couple of substitutes like springs or lead but they don't work as well from all the feedback I read.

Prehaps it's the toxic and importing trouble that's keeping them away like Supporter said, not because they don't work.
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by 12gatrap » 30 Aug 2014, 5:29 pm

http://www.rpgfirearms.com.au/shotgun.html
Halfway down this RPG page you will find recoil reducers.
12gatrap
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 30 Aug 2014, 7:38 pm

If you have no joy with the mercury recoil reducers, you might consider Mag-na-porting your barrel. Apparently this style of barrel porting really helps like most porting jobs, but without the added blast noise. I cant verify it , but have a mate who swears it's it's the ducks nuts. Heres a like to the Aussie Mob doing it.

http://www.tsengineering.com.au/mag-na-port/
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Aug 2014, 8:08 am

More info here. http://www.mercuryrecoil.com/
Mercury is a little heavier than lead so it has a weight advantage. Wonder whats inside these things apart from mercury.
You could just fill the but with lead shot. Would help.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Streamline » 01 Sep 2014, 11:51 am

MeccaOz wrote:Apparently this style of barrel porting really helps like most porting jobs, but without the added blast noise.

Have to say I'm dubious about that.

There is the amount of gas there is. If it's not going away from you then...

It does say this on the site:

Shooters using this method do not experience the large flash of muzzle blast encountered with systems dumping larger volumes of gases through holes positioned across the centreline.

Seems like if you just got a small brake, or a brake ported in the same style they do the barrels it would do the same?

Not knocking them, I'm sure it works fine for recoil reduction. Just saying I'd rather have the same style of port built into a removable brake and a threaded barrel which I can cap if I don't want to use it, instead of a permanent port on the barrel.

IMHO. 2c.
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker 30-06SPR
Sako M591 .243WIN
CZ ZKM 452 .22LR
Streamline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 01 Sep 2014, 12:08 pm

Oldbloke wrote:More info here. http://www.mercuryrecoil.com/
Mercury is a little heavier than lead so it has a weight advantage. Wonder whats inside these things apart from mercury.
You could just fill the but with lead shot. Would help.

Its the liquid state of the mercury (in combination with the mass) with its movement tending to counter the recoil force..

Have you tried simpler methods such as dense foam pads attached to your clothes (discreetly of course ;) ) before modifying your firearm(s)

You still havent mentioned the chambering, dont worry, we wont laugh if its a hornet your trying to tame :? :D
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Sep 2014, 9:19 pm

Im afraid I dont understand the advantage of a weight sloshing around over a fixed weight such as lead shot in the butt of a gun/rifle. Perhaps some one can explain the physics behind the operation as at the moment it just looks like a gimic to me. Both simply increase the overall weight of the firearm.. In the past I reduced my 12g loads down to 1 oz loads and it significantly reduced recoil. I would tackle the problem by reducing projectile weight and/or velocity if it will still do the job ok or a better recoil pad.
Here is a good article on the subject.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil.htm
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rainwalker » 02 Sep 2014, 3:23 pm

Oldbloke,

My understanding of the mercury ones is it works like the rifle hitting something as it moves backwards which stops the recoil short, where adding weight just reduces the overall movement a little.

I haven't got any figures to compare the two. That's how it works though from what I know and people seem to say they work well.
Nothin' like a good thirty aught six
rainwalker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing