GRS Stocks

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

GRS Stocks

Post by Westy » 01 Sep 2014, 1:21 pm

Has anyone got one and can you tell me was it great or just So So:?: :?: :?:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Re: GRS Stocks

Post by mausermate » 01 Sep 2014, 9:30 pm

Hi Westy, yes, I have one. Purchased it 18 months ago and fitted it to a Remington 700 short action and chambered in 6.5x284.
The stock is not really what I like to look at, it's okay but you have to like laminate. I have the Sporter Varmint in brown, build quality is excellent.

The original BDL wood stock on my rifle was awful. The gun kicked and was all out of balance after I put the 24 inch 6.5x284 barrel in it.
I purchased the GRS sight unseen through the post from QLD and fitted the stock to the action with no tweaking, bolted her straight in. I have a heavy barrel and there was no need to widen the barrel channel, it free floated and everything fitted perfectly.
It is nice to hold, reduced recoil dramatically, balance is now spot on and she shoots half inch groups. I have not bothered with bedding. Got to be happy with that!

It is a bit different to hold than a normal stock and there is some weight there. The pistol grip is very upright and has a heavy palm swell that cants over to the right (if you are right handed). It does take some getting used to and it is quite bulky but trigger control is very good and I like the general hold due to a wide for end. It is not like a standard stock, so if you are after traditional, be careful....it's different. Not bad, just different.
The adjustable check piece is neat, easy to use and fits your cheek. Push the button in and up or down it goes. The recoil pad is well fitted, soft, adjustable and effective. I have a Harris bidpod and it fitted straight on to the front swivel. The rear swivel is on the side of the butt, not on the bottom.

I like it and I would recommend it.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 02 Sep 2014, 6:29 am

Thanks Mauser Mate great to hear some positive feedback!!! Thinking of using it on a 6.5 as a target Queen should fit the bill????
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by mausermate » 02 Sep 2014, 11:16 am

Westy wrote:Thanks Mauser Mate great to hear some positive feedback!!! Thinking of using it on a 6.5 as a target Queen should fit the bill????

yes Westy. My project was for a long range hunt gun and it morphed into something pretty good in the end. You might be better with one of their target stocks if it is for range use only. There is not a lot of difference, it is just weight mainly I think. The target ones have the a bit longer fore end and the underside of butt has not been scolloped out. Either way, I recon you are on the right track. It's a well made product, It holds well off the bench or prone and pretty good value for the money.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by dustin » 21 Sep 2014, 4:06 pm

Chronos has one of the F-Class blue stocks.

Bit on his project and shooting here - Tikka T3 500m Fly/LR target rig
dustin
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by RDobber » 21 Sep 2014, 4:07 pm

Very tempted by the 'Adjustable Hunting' model stock.

Comes in some alright colours too, not that life boat orange thing :lol:
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Farmjer » 21 Sep 2014, 8:18 pm

They do make some loud colours...

The 'mountain green' and 'jacaranda' are a pair of more subdued colours.

Nice stock too. I've used the Hybrid with a T3 action a dozen times via a mate shooting at the range and I like 'em.

Great adjustable comfort.
Farmjer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Korkt » 22 Sep 2014, 9:06 am

mausermate wrote:I purchased the GRS sight unseen through the post from QLD and fitted the stock to the action with no tweaking, bolted her straight in. I have a heavy barrel and there was no need to widen the barrel channel, it free floated and everything fitted perfectly.
It is nice to hold, reduced recoil dramatically, balance is now spot on and she shoots half inch groups. I have not bothered with bedding. Got to be happy with that!

Sounding like a winner.

I've been on the cusp of ordering one but the sight-unseen part is what worries me, haven't got a local dealer here who's stocking them.

Hmm. What do to...
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 10 Oct 2014, 6:19 pm

dustin wrote:Chronos has one of the F-Class blue stocks.

Bit on his project and shooting here - Tikka T3 500m Fly/LR target rig

Just thought i should add an update to your thread westy about my experience with my GRS stock

When i fitted it up for the pics in the thread linked here i didn't torque the action up fully.

A little while later i was setting the rifle up to shoot. i fitted the GRS stock and torqued the action screws to 20"lbs then reset the torque wrench to 35"lbs, a figure i use on other stimber stocks. as i tensioned the screws i could clearly hear the laminated ply stock compressing, a gentle cracking noise like when you chew on a damp paddle pop stick

given that the barrel is chambered in .284W shooting 180gr bullets i decided to have a gunsmith add some pillars and glass bed the action.

now here's where the story gets interesting. while working on the stock the gunsmith noticed a hairline crack near the pistol grip. he put the stock in the vice and used a small amount of pressure to check the stability of the crack. he told me he was shocked to see the crack open up before his eyes so he did the right thing and drilled down through the stock, across the crack and glued in a brass rod to prevent the pistol grip failing later on. makes me glad i made the decision to get the rifle to a gunsmith BEFORE i took it to the range to shoot it.

something to look at if you are planning on buying one is the angle of the pistol grip. both mine and my mates stocks (his is a Decima stock) have a weird grip angle on them, like if you grip it with your right hand it tends to cant the stock and if you keep the rifle level it seems to put your hand at an unusual angle. just something to be aware of. also NIOA has taken over distribution of them so i believe the prices have taken a little jump so shop around

Chronos

here's a bad pic of the crack and the assembled rifle sitting in it's Seb rest and rear bag and fitted with a Nightforce 12-42X56 illuminated reticule scope

Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Bennybigbores » 10 Oct 2014, 6:50 pm

Agreed they look awesome, but from a hunters point of view with the funny grip, can't see them being the best option, love the adjustability but if you got used to it be no different to a thumb hole or pistol compared to conventional, I just love thumbhole laminate, laminate full stop, they look great, what's. ball park figure on price before I google the hell of it anyway
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 10 Oct 2014, 7:04 pm

Bennybigbores wrote:Agreed they look awesome, but from a hunters point of view with the funny grip, can't see them being the best option, love the adjustability but if you got used to it be no different to a thumb hole or pistol compared to conventional, I just love thumbhole laminate, laminate full stop, they look great, what's. ball park figure on price before I google the hell of it anyway

they were $850 i think, i was told that mine was the last one that store could sell at that price, no idea what the new price is

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 10 Oct 2014, 8:31 pm

Thanx chronos ,bummer about the crack in the stock I think I might have spewed if it happened to mine!!!LOL And yer Nioa have upped the price about 20% on the old price. how do you find the nightforce ? Have ordered one in 8x32x56 NXS for the new super varmint in 6.5. Supposed to be here next Tuesday can't wait like a kid on Ritalin at the moment thanx again for the update

Cheers Westy
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 10 Oct 2014, 8:41 pm

Westy wrote:Thanx chronos ,bummer about the crack in the stock I think I might have spewed if it happened to mine!!!LOL And yer Nioa have upped the price about 20% on the old price. how do you find the nightforce ? Have ordered one in 8x32x56 NXS for the new super varmint in 6.5. Supposed to be here next Tuesday can't wait like a kid on Ritalin at the moment thanx again for the update

Cheers Westy

Very happy with the NF, it's a BR model with
The NP -R2 reticle. It does everything it's supposed to, quite heavy but strong as ten brick shophouses.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 10 Oct 2014, 8:46 pm

Nice, love the look of your rifle might have to do something with mine when it's up and shooting!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by dustin » 11 Oct 2014, 11:34 am

Chronos wrote:Just thought i should add an update to your thread westy about my experience with my GRS stock

I know it's hard to put a number on these kinds of things but... Could you give a number for how much better you found shooting with the stock was in terms of accuracy?

Like did you get an extra 0.1 or 0.2 MOA out of it etc. If you can make an estimate?
dustin
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 11 Oct 2014, 7:46 pm

Bennybigbores wrote:Agreed they look awesome, but from a hunters point of view with the funny grip, can't see them being the best option, love the adjustability but if you got used to it be no different to a thumb hole or pistol compared to conventional, I just love thumbhole laminate, laminate full stop, they look great, what's. ball park figure on price before I google the hell of it anyway

I've got an old Blacklow stock under an Omark, the grip looks to be exactly the same as on the GRS. The grip on the Blacklow is setup for prone where if you are on your elbows the hand is at an angle to the rest of the stock, a grip such as this allows the wrist to lay in a natural straight position.

I will try and take a picture but this style of handgrip is VERY natural to use prone or rested.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Farmjer » 13 Oct 2014, 2:53 pm

I'd be keen to see as well if you can manage some pictures :)
Farmjer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 27 Oct 2014, 9:50 am

GRS stock in used guns today, be quick. It's at least $400 under new price

http://m.usedguns.com.au/Product_Desc.aspx?Pid=44863

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 27 Oct 2014, 12:51 pm

Not a bad price, hmmm.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Westy » 27 Oct 2014, 2:49 pm

On it like a fat kid on a cup cake!!!!
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by chacka » 28 Oct 2014, 9:48 am

You bought it, Westy?
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 04 Nov 2014, 4:10 pm

another cheap one on U/G today

http://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=45338

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 04 Nov 2014, 8:54 pm

Saw a 22 year old woman from Finland carrying one around as a field gun

Guess that kills the excuse of it's too heavy
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Westy » 04 Nov 2014, 9:38 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:Saw a 22 year old woman from Finland carrying one around as a field gun

Guess that kills the excuse of it's too heavy

Was her name Inga????? :?: :lol: :?:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by inventurkey » 05 Nov 2014, 10:17 am

Chronos wrote:another cheap one on U/G today

"cheap" is a relative term I guess.

I really like the stock, but $600 is half the price of most rifles again still :(

Just waiting for that winning lottery ticket.
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 05 Nov 2014, 11:48 am

inventurkey wrote:
Chronos wrote:another cheap one on U/G today

"cheap" is a relative term I guess.

I really like the stock, but $600 is half the price of most rifles again still :(

Just waiting for that winning lottery ticket.

Cheap as in nearly a third the price of a whiskey 3 and nearly half the new RRP ;)

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by inventurkey » 06 Nov 2014, 10:51 am

I hear you.

Just saying, a half price Ferrari would be a good deal too but I still can't afford one :lol:
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by ghostwhowalks » 29 Dec 2014, 7:56 pm

Just a quick note , I have noticed a few comments on the angle of the grip . I recently met the Owner of GRS and he put the angle into perspective . If you point at something with your index finger note the angle of your wrist . The stock is made deliberately to match that angle , reducing fatigue on the forearm and wrist making shooting over a longer time period less taxing on the body .
Personally I love them , I think they are comfy and something different from the 'tactical ' stuff about now . Hanging out for the GRS Bolthorn tho !
ghostwhowalks
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Tiiger » 30 Dec 2014, 8:33 pm

It's all what you're used to.

Going from a normal all purpose profile grip to the GRS it'll obviously feel weird to start.

A quick fondle and shouldering it in store is not the same as comfortably setting up at the bench either.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Smiley » 31 Dec 2014, 7:38 am

I have 2 GRS stocks.

Very happy with both. 1 is the hunter model the other is the varmint. It's awkward to use a rifle now that doesn't have one.

It's functional with out looking like a "tacticool" wannabe .

Prices have definitely been ramped up since NIOA took distribution though. I wouldn't pay the current price.
Smiley
Private
Private

Queensland

Next

Return to Gunsmithing