Adjusting the front (open) sight on a savage MkII .22lr

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Adjusting the front (open) sight on a savage MkII .22lr

Post by fenderstrat » 01 Sep 2014, 2:13 pm

Hi, i just bought a Savage MkII in .22lr and I'm loving it! Just shooting with open sights for now, partly because i can't afford a scope just yet and also because I want to get better at using open sights. The rifle is shooting well, and I'm getting good groupings but its shooting a little bit to the right. I've been told to adjust the front sight with a hammer and a punch and i tried but it just wont budge. And I'm a bit afraid of hitting it too hard and damaging my rifle. Should i just hit it harder? Any advice you guys can give me? Thanks!
fenderstrat
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Adjusting the front (open) sight on a savage MkII .22lr

Post by AussieTimmeh » 04 Sep 2014, 10:40 am

The front sight only goes in from one direction. I own a Savage .22LR and I cannot remember which direction that is, but if it's fully seated in one direction than hitting it harder won't do anything, and hitting it the other direction will loosen it for removal.

Our .22LR had a damaged front sight when we bought it (which we missed during our inspection when we bought it, frustratingly) so it seems they are easy to damage. I would recommend taking it to your local gunsmith and see what they can do for you.
Savage Model 10 BAT/S .308, Savage Mk II .22LR, RBD Omni-Break 500 Nitro Express
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by fenderstrat » 05 Sep 2014, 12:10 am

Thanks, I'll try going the other way. Pretty sure i was trying to drift it the wrong way anyway
fenderstrat
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by chacka » 05 Sep 2014, 2:04 pm

fenderstrat wrote:Should i just hit it harder? Any advice you guys can give me? Thanks!

My advice is that when talking firearms "just hit it harder" is almost always a bad idea.

Sounds like Timmeh has you covered for your actual problem though ;)
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by fenderstrat » 10 Sep 2014, 1:56 pm

It actually worked. I did have to hammer quite a bit though. But now my rifle's shooting perfectly. Thanks!
fenderstrat
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by AussieTimmeh » 10 Sep 2014, 5:16 pm

Awesome, good to hear.
Savage Model 10 BAT/S .308, Savage Mk II .22LR, RBD Omni-Break 500 Nitro Express
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 10 Sep 2014, 7:07 pm

For future reference : Move your rear sight in the same direction as your desired point of impact. If you need to move the front sight you move it in the opposite direction to move your POI.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Supporter » 12 Sep 2014, 9:44 am

Noisydad wrote:If you need to move the front sight you move it in the opposite direction to move your POI.

That needs to be in a bright orange sticker around the muzzle.

Always someone frustrated at the range because they're moving the sight of a new/unfamiliar rifle in the wrong direction :lol:
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Gunsmithing