Bullpup stock anyone?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Bullpup stock anyone?

Post by Bennybigbores » 02 Oct 2014, 7:33 pm

Any body had a crack at making a bullpup stock for any rifle? The yanks seem to love it goggle bullpup stock images, there are some really neat (TACTICOOOOL) rifles, so I'm going to have crack don't know wether to fit out one of my existing rifles or buy a cheap and nasty as a first big project build, might just go rimfire for a start
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Bullpup stock anyone?

Post by Chronos » 02 Oct 2014, 7:42 pm

bullpups make the worst bolt guns IMHO, fine if you have access o semi auto's but reaching back under your ear to find the bolt is and having the action and magazine so far behind your trigger hand doesn't make much sense and it puts your head higher also but that's just my opinion.

I've played with a DTA and prefered my mates Styer scout over his DTA

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 02 Oct 2014, 8:26 pm

Owning 3 bullpup rifles I both agree & disagree with Chronos.

Yes, having the bolt under your cheek is a bit strange but with practise becomes second nature. Just takes some time and practise to develop the muscle memory so it'll feel natural just as cycling a conventional bolt action. Took me a while to get used to it and I still get confused from time to time cause I forget what rifle I'm shooting.

The biggest drawback relating to the bullpup configuration is getting the trigger feel that same as a regular rifle. My DTA SRS & HTI both have great (for a bullpup) triggers with only the slightest of creep before breaking crisp. The M99 Barrett (yet to be fired) has possibly one of the worst triggers I've used, so much creep and I can never tell when it'll fire.

I'll make an effort to do some research on improving the M99 trigger, hopefully it can be improved. Let me know if you'd like some close up pictures of how the M99 trigger works and depending on where you are in Sydney I might be able to meet up with you for a up close inspection if it'll help you.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bennybigbores » 03 Oct 2014, 7:06 am

Thanks for the offer Brett, I've seen the pics of your quite awsome and much desired collection, if I had the coin I would only have the one centre fire, a desert tactical scout 2 barrel options .243 and of course the .338 lapua, topped off with one of your lovely nightforce scopes, but sadly a pipe dream for me until kids leave home and wife goes back to work.

Will be constructing the cheapest nastiest version of a bullpup purely as a project, and in reguards to trigger mechanisms was tossing up making it eclectic, pressure switch for trigger to a small solenoid/actuator, could set switch to whatever poundage required, will have down fall of needing batteries, but hey it's a project.
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wes » 03 Oct 2014, 1:42 pm

Actually making? Or buying and using?

There are a few here using the MDT TAC 21 for their Remingtons.

That's just a drop in though, not made.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blackened » 03 Oct 2014, 2:46 pm

brett1868 wrote:The M99 Barrett (yet to be fired) has possibly one of the worst triggers I've used, so much creep and I can never tell when it'll fire.

That's just want you want in a .416, surprise! :lol:
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by VICHunter » 03 Oct 2014, 2:49 pm

The bullpup config is designed to minimise length of course, which I don't see the need for here. "Urban sniping" and all that non-civilian stuff.

I'd happily keep the muzzle further away.

Whatever floats your boat though. I won't argue that brett1868 has a nice collection going on in the other topic.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by kurl » 03 Oct 2014, 2:51 pm

Can someone point me to this other topic with bretts collection?
kurl
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by RealNick » 03 Oct 2014, 2:52 pm

RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by stevy » 03 Oct 2014, 2:55 pm

I'm keeping an eye out for the Tikka CTR when they get here.

I can't remember if it's MDT but there is a Tikka Bullpup chassis out there somewhere too.

I need to look into it more when they're both available but a CTR in a bullpup is looking good to me.
CZ 527 VARMINT 223 REM
CZ 555 308 WIN
stevy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing