Hand crowning tool to recrown barrel?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Hand crowning tool to recrown barrel?

Post by Klem » 03 Oct 2013, 7:30 am

I've got an old knockabout rifle that has a few burrs on the crown, it's reached the point where I reckon it's affecting accuracy and should be redone but it's not worth paying a smith to re-crown it.

Buying a crowning bit for a power drill would be ok though. Haven't done this before, obviously doing it by hand doesn't have the precision of a mill or whatever a smith would do it on properly.

Anyone recrown their barrels by hand?

For $40 for the bits I'd give it a go assuming it's not a waste of time compared to a properly milled crown.
Klem
Private
Private

South Australia

Re: Hand crowning tool to recrown barrel?

Post by teedo » 03 Oct 2013, 8:58 am

For a knockabout I'd say do it.

With a steady hand and a straight eye it's 95% as good as doing it on a lathe.
teedo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Berper » 03 Oct 2013, 9:07 am

Pretty sure there in a YouTube video with what's-his-name from Midway USA where he shows you how to re-crown a barrel with hand tools.

Doesn't look like a big deal...
Berper
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by defau » 03 Oct 2013, 10:40 am

Berper wrote:...with what's-his-name from Midway USA...

Larry Potterfield is who you're thinking of.
Sako L46 .222
Remington 721 .270
CZ 242 .22
defau
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by agentzero » 03 Oct 2013, 1:59 pm

It's always a bit of fun working on your own gear.

Go for it :D
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by kram » 11 Oct 2013, 12:50 pm

If you stuff it up,get the hacksaw out and have another go.At least youll know what your doin on round two.
kram
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rippah » 11 Oct 2013, 1:34 pm

kram wrote:If you stuff it up,get the hacksaw out and have another go.At least youll know what your doin on round two.

Bet that's what all the bikies tell the cops.

"It's not a sawn-off officer, I just redid the crown a few dozen times"

:lol:
Remington 700 CDL 35 Whelen
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50
Remington Model 12 .22LR
CZ Ring neck 12G
Rippah
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by 5bins » 11 Oct 2013, 1:50 pm

I suspect they may see through that excuse :P
5bins
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by kram » 11 Oct 2013, 9:38 pm

Actually, correct me if I'm wrong ,but I think you can get away with down to 16" barrel length. Accuracy won't be affected any noticable amount on a "knockabout rifle" at all.
kram
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 12 Oct 2013, 6:14 am

kram wrote:Actually, correct me if I'm wrong ,but I think you can get away with down to 16" barrel length. Accuracy won't be affected any noticable amount on a "knockabout rifle" at all.

Might be different in NSW. In VIC their are minimum overall length requirements.

I forget what it is off the top of my head, but if you had a rifle with a long barrel and short stock, and shortened the barrel. Even if the barrel was over X length, if the overall length was too short you'd be in trouble.

I vaguely recall it being something similar in NSW? Something to check I guess before you start sawing your rifles down ;)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by kram » 12 Oct 2013, 11:57 am

particulars as required in relation to that replacement are supplied in writing to the Commissioner within 24 hours of replacing it.
129 Shortened firearms

(cf 1997 cl 104)

(1) For the purposes of section 62 (2) of the Act, a firearm is to be considered as having been shortened only if:
(a) in the case of a firearm that is a smooth bore shotgun or a combination smooth bore shotgun and rifle:
(i) the length of the barrel, or, if it has more than one barrel, of the longer or longest barrel is less than 45 cm, or
(ii) the length of the stock is less than 30 cm or it has no stock, and
(b) in the case of a firearm that is a rifle, not being a combination smooth bore shotgun and rifle or an air gun:
(i) the length of the barrel or, if it has more than one barrel, of the longer or longest barrel is less than 40 cm, or
(ii) the length of the stock is less than 30 cm or it has no stock, or
(iii) the overall length is less than 80 cm, and
(c) in the case of a firearm that is an air gun:
(i) the length of the barrel is less than 30 cm, or
(ii) the length of the stock is less than 30 cm or it has no stock, or
(iii) the overall length is less than 70 cm.
(2) For the purposes of this clause, the length of the stock of a firearm, if the firearm has one trigger, is to be measured from the front of the trigger or, if the firearm has more than one trigger, from the front of the rearmost trigger to the centre of the rear of the butt plate or stock.
(3) In this clause, firearm does not include a pistol or blank fire pistol.
(4) This clause does not apply to such kinds of firearms as the Commissioner determines
kram
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 12 Oct 2013, 2:49 pm

kram wrote:(1) For the purposes of section 62 (2) of the Act, a firearm is to be considered as having been shortened only if:
(a) in the case of a firearm that is a smooth bore shotgun or a combination smooth bore shotgun and rifle:
(i) the length of the barrel, or, if it has more than one barrel, of the longer or longest barrel is less than 45 cm, or
(ii) the length of the stock is less than 30 cm or it has no stock, and

Yeah, the last bit there was what I was referring to.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by kram » 12 Oct 2013, 11:08 pm

Yep I went back to check it out cause ive heard of guys having to take 5 mill or so off to recrown. You just gotta not exceed these limits in NSW,not sure about other states but it seems to be in the back of my mind somewhere that this rule is nationally uniform.?
kram
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 13 Oct 2013, 1:17 pm

kram wrote:...not sure about other states but it seems to be in the back of my mind somewhere that this rule is nationally uniform?

I'd be surprised.

I really wish they would sort out a national firearms act and regulations.

I know there are some agreements in place between states like VIC and NSW that your license is valid in each state, but not everywhere...

It's stupid that we're all in the same country and no more than a few hours away from each other and there are different laws all over the place.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 13 Oct 2013, 1:18 pm

kram wrote:...not sure about other states but it seems to be in the back of my mind somewhere that this rule is nationally uniform?

You could be right. I'm going off the top of my head here...

Like AusC said though, there's plenty of differences state to state.

Maybe one day they'll sort it out...
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wisey » 19 Oct 2013, 6:31 am

How did you go klem?

Its not a .308 tool you are getting is it? I would like to shorten a standard rem 24 barrel down to 18 for a ute gun.
Wisey
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing