Multiple calibre muzzle brake?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Multiple calibre muzzle brake?

Post by Joom » 04 Oct 2013, 10:02 am

I suspect this might be a bit of a pipe dream but if you don't ask you don't know...

I see on some muzzle brakes that there is what looks like a nut (like a nut and bolt) without a thread, sat in the front of the brake.

If this nut weren't in there the hole at the end of the brake would obviously be far too big for the calibre of rifle it's attached too.

Is this nut interchangeable for different ones to match different calibres?

What I'm picturing is having a couple of the same rifle in different calibres which all have the same barrel, and a clamp on brake with changeable 'nuts' for each calibre, so you can use the same brake on a couple of different rifles.

Couldn't find anything after round on Google. Does such a thing exist?
Remington 700 and... Who needs another rifle?
Joom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Multiple calibre muzzle brake?

Post by Humir » 04 Oct 2013, 10:58 am

I think you'll find they make generic brakes, then fit a suitable nut as required.

But it's so they can make brakes without having to worry about what caliber they will eventually be for, not so you can easily swap between them.
Humir
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Releb » 04 Oct 2013, 12:13 pm

The clamp on brakes are still made with a particular rifle in mind I'm pretty sure. I looked into the HSS ones a while ago and they would only make you one for a particular rifle after you gave them caliper measurements.

Two of the same rifles may not work equally well with the same brake from what they tell me, as the tolerances are very low for a working brake.
Tikka Stainless from 30-06 Springfield lane.
Releb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by RealNick » 04 Oct 2013, 3:17 pm

Something like the HSS clamp on brakes mentioned above go for about $175 or something from memory.

What you're proposing sounds like a whole lot of unnecessary effort to save a couple of bucks?

How many rifles are we talking about here?
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusC » 04 Oct 2013, 3:21 pm

No such thing as far as I know.

Bugger changing everything round for every shoot though... Just get a proper brake installed for your heavy hitters if you must and leave the rest alone IMO.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Aussier » 04 Oct 2013, 3:27 pm

AusC wrote:Bugger changing everything round for every shoot though... Just get a proper brake installed for your heavy hitters if you must and leave the rest alone IMO.

Another vote for this...
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Gunsmithing