My Glock Upgrade Thread

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

My Glock Upgrade Thread

Post by Baldrick314 » 21 Oct 2014, 1:02 pm

I spent a long time determined to keep my Glock completely stock, then I got a little better at shooting and realised what a hindrance my pistol was being :lol:

In another post on here I covered some polishing work I did to the trigger components on my Glock and soon after doing that I delved into the world of upgrades, modifications and such you can get/ do to a Glock. I narrowed down the list to 2 modifications: a new front sight and a lighter trigger connector.

The reasons for the front sight change were: 1 - the factory front sight was polymer which didn't sit well with me because it isn't very hard wearing. 2 - I wanted a smaller front sight that allows a more finite aiming point. I chose a Fibre optic front sight made by Hi Viz
The kit comes with the front sight, interchangeable fibre optic pipes and a key to change the pipes

The factory front sight basically just clipped in and was easy to push out using a flat blade screwdriver

The Hi Viz sight uses a 3/16 hex nut which due to the design of the Glock can only be accessed through a hole just over 7mm large. I couldn't track down a socket that fit both criteria. Hi Viz sells a tool for this but I forgot to order one with my sight. In the end I started the thread with my finger and finished it off by pushing the edge of the nut with a flat screw driver. Crude but effective. With a little thread locker it locked up tight and shouldn't move.

Finished product

I should be taking the pistol out to test tomorrow so I'll let you know if it makes a difference to my score. From drawing and dry firing it does make target aquisition faster.

When I can order a lighter connector I'll post back here as well with impressions of whether it helped or not :lol:
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: My Glock Upgrade Thread

Post by cavok » 21 Oct 2014, 2:35 pm

What ammunition are you using, your own, 135grn projectile? Or shop ammunition? I found on my Glock years ago the barrel was an issue, I slugged it and found it was .3555, changed it to an after market barrel it shot extremely well up to 20 metres.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 21 Oct 2014, 3:32 pm

cavok wrote:What ammunition are you using, your own, 135grn projectile? Or shop ammunition? I found on my Glock years ago the barrel was an issue, I slugged it and found it was .3555, changed it to an after market barrel it shot extremely well up to 20 metres.

Using Topscore 124gr round nose. I've shot some great scores/ groups with this pistol it's just proved a little inconsistant which is why I'm doing these kind of upgrades. I figure it's partly about my level of comfort with the pistol and partly just general practice :)
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 21 Oct 2014, 4:06 pm

As a matter of interest, this is not gospel, but the vast majority of shooters, which does mean something, and I do mention top shooters use a heavier 135 grn projectile.
Yes some, I do not know who possibly use a lighter projectile. Less muzzle flip for some reason, in fact most shooters using production guns use the 135 grn or 145 grn.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Korkt » 22 Oct 2014, 10:03 am

Did you go with the red over the yellow fibre optic for any specific reason?

It must be my eyes but I can't work with the yellow ones, can't get a crisp view on them against the background like with the sharper red.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 22 Oct 2014, 10:24 am

Have you put your Glock into a Ransom rest and seen how it fires when secured and the shot placement?
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 22 Oct 2014, 12:15 pm

Korkt wrote:Did you go with the red over the yellow fibre optic for any specific reason?

It must be my eyes but I can't work with the yellow ones, can't get a crisp view on them against the background like with the sharper red.

In my experience red just works with my eyes. A lot of the guys I shoot with prefer the yellow/ green colour, I can use it but not as well as red
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Bark » 22 Oct 2014, 2:50 pm

Apparently being colour blind or insensitive to red is something common in guys. Perhaps that's the reason your mates prefer yellow.
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Korkt » 22 Oct 2014, 2:52 pm

I dunno about that, I must have womens eyes or something then because the red is sharp as for me but I can't get behind the yellow ones.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 22 Oct 2014, 8:36 pm

After using the new sight today I'm very happy with it. I didn't shoot an actual match so I don't know how it will affect my scores. I shot a few groups and target aquisition was noticeably faster. Groups were also centred on target better, with the old sight my groups would be slanted to the right because I had trouble centering the front sight. With the new sight no such problem
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by lole » 23 Oct 2014, 12:12 pm

Sounds like a winner.

Photos of groups with new sights?
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 23 Oct 2014, 12:43 pm

lole wrote:Sounds like a winner.

Photos of groups with new sights?

That's a 5 shot group from 10 yards. Shot quickly but not quite rapid fire
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by lole » 23 Oct 2014, 3:06 pm

Looks ok to me :)
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 23 Oct 2014, 4:38 pm

For a Glock that is very good, great shooting.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 24 Oct 2014, 1:32 pm

You a 1911 shooter cavok?

That's the old rivalry isn't it :lol:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by cavok » 24 Oct 2014, 3:57 pm

Bourt wrote:You a 1911 shooter cavok?

That's the old rivalry isn't it :lol:

Yes I shoot 1911 have one or 2, lol, or more. No rivalry, some say Glock has no rival, I'm not one of them :lol: but looking at his target he does not shoot the discipline I do. Trojan and SP01 are good for that, keeps me happy.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 27 Oct 2014, 10:46 am

Yeah just joking with the rivalry thing, with you anyway.

More a US thing maybe? Some of the shooters there hate the other side. Can't knock the pistols enough on YouTube.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by cavok » 27 Oct 2014, 10:54 am

Bourt wrote:Yeah just joking with the rivalry thing, with you anyway.

More a US thing maybe? Some of the shooters there hate the other side. Can't knock the pistols enough on YouTube.

Some people hate what others have, they do not understand horses for courses, Glocks are Glocks and 1911 are just that. Both fun to shoot, and shooting is fun. What is your toy? Actually from what I listen to, most people who knock Glocks or any other pistol usually have never owned one, can't shoot or are having a bad day, lashing out. Can't beat a Glock for price and so many are sold world wide there has to be a reason.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 27 Oct 2014, 1:00 pm

No pistols myself. Not knocking them either way just joking around ;)

Wouldn't bother me either way though. If someone wants a different pistol to the one I'd like who cares?
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing