Rifle bolt lubrication

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Rifle bolt lubrication

Post by scrolllock » 30 Oct 2014, 12:30 pm

mausermate wrote:Hope he/she wasn't hurt.

He was taken away in an ambulance after the bolt hit him in the face.

No idea what happened after that though.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 30 Oct 2014, 2:43 pm

I am not a fan of the Blaser system but it seems to me some high pressure was going on to start with and only an idiot would have kept firing away.

Any type of action and barrel system has it's limits.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Oct 2014, 3:05 pm

Jack V wrote:I am not a fan of the Blaser system but it seems to me some high pressure was going on to start with and only an idiot would have kept firing away.

Any type of action and barrel system has it's limits.

How did you determine that Jack?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Jack V » 30 Oct 2014, 3:49 pm

Somewhere it said that the bolt was showing some damage but he kept firing . They said the loads were hot but not having extraction problems. Well I have seen people struggling with extraction and when you ask them if they need help they say , No it's fine"" when clearly it's not .
If he fired 50 normal shots and 51 blew up the gun then it is possible that the fifty first shot was a faulty high pressure load of some kind .
Who knows what may have been done in loading the ammo , even factory ammo has been known to have faulty overloads .
This reminds me of a pro roo shooter I new who grossly overloaded his 223 ammo . One night it started jamming up and would not extract , in the end he beat the bolt open with a lump of wood . Thank God the case rim stripped and the case stayed in the chamber . I was so relieved and we used my gun for the remainder of the night . That gun fired lots of shots before it gave up . Every time he fired I cringed in the passenger seat because I knew what was coming , luckily it was not too bad.
It's all speculation if you were not there but I think he just pounded the action until it gave up. As I said I am not a fan of the Blaser system and never will be.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Oct 2014, 4:03 pm

Jack V wrote:Somewhere it said that the bolt was showing some damage but he kept firing . They said the loads were hot but not having extraction problems. Well I have seen people struggling with extraction and when you ask them if they need help they say , No it's fine"" when clearly it's not .
If he fired 50 normal shots and 51 blew up the gun then it is possible that the fifty first shot was a faulty high pressure load of some kind .
Who knows what may have been done in loading the ammo , even factory ammo has been known to have faulty overloads .
This reminds me of a pro roo shooter I new who grossly overloaded his 223 ammo . One night it started jamming up and would not extract , in the end he beat the bolt open with a lump of wood . Thank God the case rim stripped and the case stayed in the chamber . I was so relieved and we used my gun for the remainder of the night . That gun fired lots of shots before it gave up . Every time he fired I cringed in the passenger seat because I knew what was coming , luckily it was not too bad.
It's all speculation if you were not there but I think he just pounded the action until it gave up. As I said I am not a fan of the Blaser system and never will be.

Thanks for that mate.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Previous

Return to Gunsmithing