Rifle bolt lubrication

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Rifle bolt lubrication

Post by wayward » 28 Oct 2014, 8:02 pm

I'm 99% sure I have this right but here goes...

Rifle bolt lube is for the internals only right? Not lubricating the actual working of the bolt.

There is something about lubing the outside of the bolt adds pressure to the lugs when firing and can be a safety issue?
wayward
Private
Private

Western Australia

Re: Rifle bolt lubrication

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Oct 2014, 8:38 pm

I put a small amount of grease on the rear of the Locking lugs, the world hasn't fallen in on me so I figure i'll keep doing it (been around 40yrs now) I lube the whole bolt with whatever oil I'm using at the time (wipe it over). :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by North East » 28 Oct 2014, 8:44 pm

Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Oct 2014, 8:44 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I put a small amount of grease on the rear of the Locking lugs, the world hasn't fallen in on me so I figure i'll keep doing it (been around 40yrs now) I lube the whole bolt with whatever oil I'm using at the time (wipe it over). :D

Same here. Might be different on the front of the bolt, could effect head space, in therory anyway.?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by newsteadvic » 28 Oct 2014, 8:53 pm

wayward wrote:I'm 99% sure I have this right but here goes...

Rifle bolt lube is for the internals only right? Not lubricating the actual working of the bolt.

There is something about lubing the outside of the bolt adds pressure to the lugs when firing and can be a safety issue?

I think you are conflating bolt race and lug lubrication with the myth about lubrication in the chamber increasing bolt thrust pressure. The myth being that lubrication between case and chamber prevents the case "gripping" chamber walls and so all thrust is against bolt head, increasing bolt thrust.

I think it is an excellent idea to lightly oil the bolt race or rails and bolt lugs or the locking plate if a lever action, just like you would oil any other metal on metal machine.
newsteadvic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 28 Oct 2014, 8:55 pm

Lubricating the round "for easier chambering" or leaving oil in the chamber is a big NO-NO, make sure the chamber is bone dry else upon firing - the expanding case will not grip the chamber walls and help resist the thrust, but transfer ALL the fore to the lugs to resist.... = set back or failure a possibility.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 28 Oct 2014, 9:06 pm

newsteadvic wrote:I think you are conflating bolt race and lug lubrication with the myth about lubrication in the chamber increasing bolt thrust pressure. The myth being that lubrication between case and chamber prevents the case "gripping" chamber walls and so all thrust is against bolt head, increasing bolt thrust.

I think it is an excellent idea to lightly oil the bolt race or rails and bolt lugs or the locking plate if a lever action, just like you would oil any other metal on metal machine.

Myth? not as far as i'm concerned. i've experienced hard bolt lift on a round when i had left oil in the chamber early in my shooting days. i have no doubt oil in the chamber caused the case to move in the chamber when the round was fired

on the topic of lubrication oi also grease the locking lugs and add a very small amount of light oil to the bolt and raceway of the action after i clean the rifle

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by mausermate » 28 Oct 2014, 9:16 pm

I have mentioned it before. Try powder graphite.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cruze82 » 28 Oct 2014, 9:18 pm

im a bolt lug guy and a small amount on the raceways, I also put a light coat on the bolt body
But since I have switched ti Frog Lube you seem to smear that stuff every where and it soaks in nice its also the smoothest iv ever felt the bolt on the .308
cruze82
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 28 Oct 2014, 9:37 pm

I'm a big fan of the powdered grapite, I have a small puffer type bottle that lets me just dust the critical areas. I ensure the bolt face and chamber are clean & oil free before each session. Some rifles only get shot a few times a year so I tend to over oil them prior to storing then give them another good clean before using again.

I suspect many things would fail before this bolt.... :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by cruze82 » 28 Oct 2014, 9:40 pm

come on brett stop showing off your BIG bolt :lol:
cruze82
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 28 Oct 2014, 9:41 pm

I use a small amount of grease on the rear of the bolt lugs to prevent galling
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 28 Oct 2014, 10:05 pm

cruze82 wrote:come on brett stop showing off your BIG bolt :lol:

I have to have a big bolt to make up for other deficiencies.... Don't get me started on my 35.43" barrel though :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by cruze82 » 28 Oct 2014, 10:10 pm

Come on mate don't you know it's about how big load is :D

Oh wait I think your .50bmg wins that one to :lol:
cruze82
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 28 Oct 2014, 10:30 pm

Big bolt, Long Barrel and a Massive load...life's looking up for me every day and not because everyone is taller then me :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 29 Oct 2014, 6:37 am

It depends on what conditions the gun will be used in. In normal low dust situations where the gun is protected well a small amount of moly grease on the bolt lugs and cocking cam is a good thing . Wear on the bolt lugs increase head space / clearance . Few drops of light machine oil inside and outside the bolt helps to stop rust inside the bolt and the raceways . In very dusty situations and in wet freezing conditions remove all oil and grease and use dry moly / graphite lubes and a gun wax coating on the outside .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by veep » 29 Oct 2014, 6:56 pm

Chronos wrote:Myth? not as far as i'm concerned.

Wasn't that Blaser blowup at the SSAA range they put down to hot loads that were lubed?
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by North East » 29 Oct 2014, 6:59 pm

veep wrote:Wasn't that Blaser blowup at the SSAA range they put down to hot loads that were lubed?

Might have been Little River if I recall.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Oct 2014, 7:10 pm

brett1868 wrote:Big bolt, Long Barrel and a Massive load...life's looking up for me every day and not because everyone is taller then me :)

Those were the days my friend, l thought they would never end.....then I got married and kids came along... :cry:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mausermate » 29 Oct 2014, 7:11 pm

There has been a lot of crap put on Blaser. not sure why? I can never seem to find the hard evidence. Love to see it if anyone has some.

Not interested in hearsay but no offense intended to the previous posts. Just want to know.
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 30 Oct 2014, 7:48 am

It's no Myth . Excess oil in the chamber will increase bolt thrust and case stretch slightly and increase chamber pressure . Not so much a problem with a tight fitting case that is backed up on the bolt face anyway at a safe pressure . More of a problem with excessive head space and max pressure loads on the edge of busting primers .
Normal oil under chamber pressure can detonate expanding as gas which can cause case dents . This can prevent the case expanding as normal and add pressure inside . A lot of people patch out the bore before shooting but forget the chamber . Generally guns that are stored standing up or on the muzzle drain any heavy excess oil away . It don't hurt to patch out the bore and chamber before firing as it also makes sure no other obstruction is in the bore .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by veep » 30 Oct 2014, 8:45 am

mausermate wrote:There has been a lot of crap put on Blaser. not sure why? I can never seem to find the hard evidence. Love to see it if anyone has some.

Not interested in hearsay but no offense intended to the previous posts. Just want to know.

Definitely not putting crap on Blaser. Just saying there was the Blaser blowup and Little River. That's fact.

Not suggesting in any way it was Blasers fault thought through a manufacturing error or quality control or anything else along those lines.
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by whert » 30 Oct 2014, 8:47 am

Mausermate,

This was posted on Blaserbuds website a little while after the incident, as they were following it more closely.

We have been following this behind the scenes for a bit. Now it seems that as much information is available, as may ever be available.

A Blaser blow up occurred in Australia.

The caliber was a 338 Lapua.

It was shot using ammo manufactured by a local, commercial enterprise.

The user had decided that his firearm did not extract as slick as he desired. He was using Hornady, One Shot case lube, in the chamber, and on the collet fingers between shots. Even after damage to collet fingers was observed, he continued to use the firearm, and lube between shots. Out of six shots, two case head separations occurred. The shooter continued to use the firearm. On the 7th shot, the firearm decided life was too short to put up with, and ended the shooter/blowupees range experience for that day. Not documented, but persons closer to the situation, have mentioned, that a Blaser barrel, in another caliber, this same shooter was treating with the case lube, had shown signs of similar bolt head finger damage, as the one that blew up.

The shooter/blowupee, has refused to allow Blaser access to rifle, and ammunition.

While this information has come from local, and reliable sources. Things sometimes get lost in translation, and while we feel this information to be fairly accurate, it may not be 100% exact. If we need to make corrections, or additions to this report, we will as needed.

All firearms have design parameters. Exceeding them, when the firearm is telling you, that you are doing so, is ill advised.

We will edit, and add information if things become clearer than what we have.

No further comments, or participation by members is needed at this point. This is posted for information only.

That's the best I could find on it at the time.
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Hardcast » 30 Oct 2014, 8:56 am

My bolts get an occasional squirt with Inox, but are always wrapped in an oily rag.

They never go into the rifle wet with oil.
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by mausermate » 30 Oct 2014, 9:36 am

Thanks whert.

Some people are pretty silly.

Hope he/she wasn't hurt.
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 30 Oct 2014, 9:45 am

The trouble with this incident, (of which I heard nothing further after the initial reports and online details as above) is that it creates the convenient impression that the activity is inherently dangerous, at both ends. Now, maybe this guy didnt know any better, couldnt read the signs, or maybe just dicing with trouble and though nah will never happen...Its a Blaaaahza...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by newsteadvic » 30 Oct 2014, 10:47 am

Whert you are repeating internet heresy. You have cherry-picked a quote.

The quote you provide is on page one of the thread of Blaser Buds thread.
http://www.blaserbuds.com/forum/viewtop ... 9&start=20

This quote is on page two:
I would just like to reply to this accusation as I am sick and tired of hearing such rubbish,
seriously do you really think using case lube in a chamber or on the bolt face will destroy this rifle like it did?
being the person who looked after this poor guy (one of your mob a blaser owner and enthusiest by the way) he did not use case lube on the bolt face or in the chamber at all, what rubbish, sounds like some people will bury a mate to protect there brand,
the rifle blew up in a way that no rifle should, the bolt came straight back at him, as has happened before several time's with this type of blaser rifle, (google it), the load's were hot but that is how you load any 338 lap or wsm and lots of other cals for that matter,
he was not having case head seperation's or problems with extracting cases, he fired 50 shot's, the 51st blew?
the barrel was not blocked and did not have a bulge in it, I checked every case that was fired there was no lube!
look on accurate shooter and see a savage that blew up because the owner forgot to remove a cleaning rod, then carried on shooting another rifle for the rest of the day, his action locked not like the blaser and he is safe,
the blaser shoots the bolt back at you, (google it) factory ammo, reloaded ammo, no difference, the causes I have heard are,
dirt-grit where the hooks fit, trigger group pins being made of steel and coroding so the trigger can be pulled when the bolt is not closed, apparently changed to stainless pins now? pistol powder ect.....
how about not trying to make this guy look like a dick and support a blaser user like yourselves and wait for the real story to come out what ever it will be.
I will say this though I and many people I know will not ever shoot a blaser after this, and it has stopped a few people I know from buying them, I dont even like being near one when it's fired,
and just remember the bloke this happened to was a blaser supporter so give him a break!
I was there were you?

Now having said that this poster does not have any other posts on BlaserBuds. Were they really there? Is what they are saying truthful? Who can know. One thing that does not have the ring of truth is firing 50 rounds 338 lapua straight? Do people really do that? How much does that stuff cost reloaded? $2-3-4-5 a shot?
Last edited by newsteadvic on 30 Oct 2014, 11:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
newsteadvic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by mausermate » 30 Oct 2014, 11:13 am

Not sure why he hasn't taken the rifle back if it was a rifle malfunction. Maybe the poor bugger can't, or saving it for a court battle, who knows.

Anyway, back to rifle bolt lubrication.
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by newsteadvic » 30 Oct 2014, 11:30 am

mausermate wrote:Anyway, back to rifle bolt lubrication.

Good point. Yes - rifle bolt lubrication is safe and appropriate.
newsteadvic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by whert » 30 Oct 2014, 12:29 pm

newsteadvic wrote:Whert you are repeating internet heresy. You have cherry-picked a quote.

I didn't cherry pick anything.

I posted a quote, said where it was from, and said that was the information I had at the time. Never said it was current or it was the undisputed truth.

If you've got more current info to add, great.

Also, not sure why I got the reprimand when all you'e done is post a different quote? And from the same place no less. Why does yours outweigh mine?

Don't want to get into a pissing match over this but just saying, pot calling the kettle black much?
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Gunsmithing