Carbon fibre cleaning rods

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Carbon fibre cleaning rods

Post by ailar » 30 Oct 2014, 3:13 pm

Long story short - Don't lean a cleaning rod in a doorway while you go and so something else because someone will slam the door on it and bend it :(

So I need a new cleaning rod.

A carbon fibre cleaning rod caught my eye. Goes on about being strong and light? Who cares about weight for a cleaning rod though?

Does a carbon fibre cleaning rod do anything better or just for cool factor?
ailar
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Carbon fibre cleaning rods

Post by Baronvonrort » 30 Oct 2014, 3:43 pm

It would probably cost a bit more.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by artimu » 31 Oct 2014, 3:22 pm

Meh, what's wrong with a normal cleaning rod?
artimu
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Guliver » 31 Oct 2014, 5:45 pm

artimu wrote:Meh, what's wrong with a normal cleaning rod?

I guess in the situation described above carbon fibre would have survived to clean another day 8-)

We used to use long fibreglass rods to,push down conduits at Telecom until one snapped and speared a fellow in the palm, it went halfway up his arm :(

But I don't think that would ever happen with this application.

Benefits, light weight and extremely strong.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MeccaOz » 01 Nov 2014, 2:20 pm

Ive heard ( So I really dont know myself ) That they can get grit stuck in them, which isnt good for your barrel ... Might be something to look into mate. The best you can get is a 1 piece steel rod ( steel that is obviously softer than your barrel ), is also another Thing I've heard, but from someone I trust. I myself use a pull through, not talking bore snake but a proper rig, cant remember the name of it, but ill be getting a one piece myself when I get to the city :)
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by rummer » 01 Nov 2014, 8:01 pm

Any decent standard one will be made to be softer than your barrel. It should take the damage from grit etc.

Weight... Like you say, who cares.

I'm leaning towards cool factor I think.
Tikka T3 Laminated - 270 Win
Ruger 77/17 - 17 HMR
rummer
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by ailar » 21 Nov 2014, 8:49 am

Ended up going with a regular one.

Asked the guy about the CF but he couldn't really sell it...

Happy to save the money anyway
ailar
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Deco » 27 Nov 2014, 2:35 pm

I've used both and couldn't tell the difference TBH.

If it pushes the patch and doesn't damage the barrel, job done.
Browning X-Bolt Hunter in .270 Winchester
Deco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by mahna » 27 Nov 2014, 2:36 pm

A lot of target shooters prefer them.

Softer on the barrel I think is the logic and they're very conscious of doing anything to degrade their accuracy, thinking a steel rod might wear the barrel.
.270 Savage Axis XP
Weaver 40/44 3-10x44
mahna
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Nov 2014, 2:39 pm

I've got one of the CF in 22cal, bloody things real bendy, I'd rather just stick with the SS version myself, the CF one was stuffed within minutes of using it (bearings went in the handle) so it was replaced and sits there unused now.. :roll:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Warrigul » 27 Nov 2014, 3:04 pm

mahna wrote:A lot of target shooters prefer them.

Softer on the barrel I think is the logic and they're very conscious of doing anything to degrade their accuracy, thinking a steel rod might wear the barrel.

What is the hardest material known to man after diamond(which is only compressed carbon)?

I use plastic coated spring steel one piece rods and attempt to keep them clean and I only insert them from the breech.

A bore guide is good if you don't have educated fingers.

I don't think there is any ultra safe option to cleaning rods the only no no's are pull throughs (sorry Mecca) and two piece rods.

Just my humble opinions and for what it is worth I carry a three piece rod hunting just in case.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 Nov 2014, 7:46 pm

Warrigul wrote:

What is the hardest material known to man after diamond(which is only compressed carbon)?

I use plastic coated spring steel one piece rods and attempt to keep them clean and I only insert them from the breech.

I don't think there is any ultra safe option to cleaning rods the only no no's are pull throughs (sorry Mecca) and two piece rods.

Just my humble opinions and for what it is worth I carry a three piece rod hunting just in case.

Carbon might be hard but is it abrasive ? I couldnt find the answer with a quick Google search.

iv got a 4 piece steel rod made by Kleen Bore ... never used it, didnt like the idea of the slight edges where the joins were made or the bare steel finish.
I quite like my one piece steel rod that has a painted finish.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Warrigul » 27 Nov 2014, 8:00 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
Warrigul wrote:

Carbon might be hard but is it abrasive ? I couldnt find the answer with a quick Google search.

iv got a 4 piece steel rod made by Kleen Bore ... never used it, didnt like the idea of the slight edges where the joins were made or the bare steel finish.
I quite like my one piece steel rod that has a painted finish.

The softest material in any match up is going to be the loser.

I like painted or plastic coated steel but that is just me. Soft materials have the potential to pick up rubbish and carbon from burnt powder any.

Lets face it there is so much carbon left behind after a shot that we are probably fighting a losing battle whatever we do. There is method behind the old: half dip a patch in hoppes and push straight through the bore discarding at the end while the barrel is still warm.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by brett1868 » 27 Nov 2014, 8:29 pm

I prefer stainless rods and I plastic coat them myself using heat shrink tubing. I wipe the rod after each pass and change the heat shrink from time to time as needed though it's lasts a long time so maybe gets changed once or twice a year.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by samf » 04 Dec 2014, 2:37 pm

Warrigul wrote:I like painted or plastic coated steel but that is just me.

Painted?

Doesn't it just scrape off reasonably quickly?
samf
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 12 Dec 2014, 8:16 pm

MeccaOz wrote: I myself use a pull through, not talking bore snake but a proper rig, cant remember the name of it, but ill be getting a one piece myself when I get to the city :)

I assume that you always use a good bore guide with the pull through... :o
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 Dec 2014, 8:26 pm

samf wrote:
Warrigul wrote:I like painted or plastic coated steel but that is just me.

Painted?

Doesn't it just scrape off reasonably quickly?

I've had my painted one for 10 years and it only has a couple of small scrapes from the sharp edges of the 12 gauge, mind you I am very careful.

if you are rough and just smash it back and forth with little attention to alignment no doubt it would rip the paint off pretty quick.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mausermate » 13 Dec 2014, 9:19 am

Like the idea of some heat shrink. Duh...I had never thought of it. Thanks Brett.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by joojoobeans » 15 Dec 2014, 1:04 pm

Where do you get stuff heat wrapped though?

Can you DIY without spending too much on the stuff to do it?
joojoobeans
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 15 Dec 2014, 1:17 pm

FFS, Can we change the spelling from "figure" to "fibre" of this thread casue my inner spelling Nazi coupled with my OCD is going to give me a stroke.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 15 Dec 2014, 2:21 pm

Carbon figure in most cases is correct...allot of what people buy is just that. It looks like but isnt more than one wrap of carbon fibre weaved sheet over something else.
Carbon fibre is enclosed in resin. So no carbon will be abrasive if coated in resin...no more so than a plastic rod.

As far as dragging carbon goes, how could it be any more damaging than a projectile being blasted down the tube after each shot with fowling being mushed along the way?

Isnt this why boreguides were invented? One end of rod is supported away from barrel by the cleaning material/tip, the other supported by the guide.

If you pull rather than push the rod wont flex therefore it wont contact the bore and do damage if pulled from the guide end? Rum O'Clock.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by brett1868 » 15 Dec 2014, 4:35 pm

Punch "Carbon figure cleaning rod" into Google and see what comes back....not much. There's many types of carbon fibre besides the pretty weaved type you see on hot rods. If you've ever snapped a CF rod in a tent then you'll see that there's no inner something else. The good quality rods have very little resin as they don't need the top coat to look pretty and the carbon can contact the riffling very easily.The bore guide is there to protect the chamber and also to prevent chemicals dripping into the action, does nothing to stop the flex of a rod making contact with the rifling. Projectiles are relatively soft copper as you know but carbon is one of the hardest substances on the planet, think diamond. I machine quite a bit of CF pate and tube and it's nasty on tools, I destroyed a new blade on a bandsaw in just a few cuts of 2mm plate.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by mausermate » 15 Dec 2014, 7:19 pm

brett1868 wrote:Punch "Carbon figure cleaning rod" into Google and see what comes back....not much. There's many types of carbon fibre besides the pretty weaved type you see on hot rods. If you've ever snapped a CF rod in a tent then you'll see that there's no inner something else. The good quality rods have very little resin as they don't need the top coat to look pretty and the carbon can contact the riffling very easily.The bore guide is there to protect the chamber and also to prevent chemicals dripping into the action, does nothing to stop the flex of a rod making contact with the rifling. Projectiles are relatively soft copper as you know but carbon is one of the hardest substances on the planet, think diamond. I machine quite a bit of CF pate and tube and it's nasty on tools, I destroyed a new blade on a bandsaw in just a few cuts of 2mm plate.

You okay man? yes, yes, fibre..
Found the heat shrink at my local TLE JJB.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 15 Dec 2014, 7:58 pm

"You okay man? yes, yes, fibre.."
Yes, I believe I am but others may disagree :)

"Found the heat shrink at my local TLE JJB."
Stainless with heat shrink is the best of both worlds in my opinion.

Now to avoid the "Powder Sorage" thread....:) :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 15 Dec 2014, 8:50 pm

I never said they would be called carbon figure. It was a generalisation regarding the ccomment to change the title to fibre. Sort of tongue in cheek stuff. Moisture is the enemy if carbon fibre in my field due to delamination issues. Resin and paint protects it from this.

Anyhow I get what you are saying and agree SS with plastic cover should suffice.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Blackened » 16 Dec 2014, 10:07 am

brett1868 wrote:FFS, Can we change the spelling from "figure" to "fibre" of this thread casue my inner spelling Nazi coupled with my OCD is going to give me a stroke.

Corrected the typo in the original topic title.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by ailar » 16 Dec 2014, 10:12 am

brett1868 wrote:FFS, Can we change the spelling from "figure" to "fibre" of this thread casue my inner spelling Nazi coupled with my OCD is going to give me a stroke.

Sorry my typo caused you such distress :lol:
ailar
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Return to Gunsmithing