Hinterland muzzle brakes

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Hinterland muzzle Breaks

Post by Chronos » 12 Nov 2014, 8:26 am

All these brakes are the same except for the bushing size that's renamed to suit your caliber and the barrel size.

That means the larger the volume of has the brake effect will be proportional. I have tested one in my. .284w, burning 50 gr of 2209 to launch a 180gr pill at 2700 fps and it effectively halves the recoil , I'd say on a 7RM the effect would be proportionally the same but I'm speculating.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by North East » 12 Nov 2014, 9:31 am

handofcod wrote:Anyone using these on magnum calibres? I have a 300wsm and was tinkering with the idea of a clamp on muzzle break.

It can't be too much more stress than a 30-06 surely...?

Here's one on a .300 WSM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKeWAAMO1JM

Not much recoil.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 12 Nov 2014, 9:58 am

handofcod wrote:Anyone using these on magnum calibres? I have a 300wsm and was tinkering with the idea of a clamp on muzzle break.

I've used one on a 300 WM.

About .243 ish recoil with it so the benefit was definitely there.

This just belonged to a bloke at the range who was giving me a shot, I didn't used it long term but he didn't mention and issues and shot for a couple of hours with it.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 13 Nov 2014, 1:44 pm

has any one seen a change in group size with the Break on using the same load

cheers D
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by North East » 13 Nov 2014, 3:21 pm

deye243 wrote:has any one seen a change in group size with the Break on using the same load

cheers D

Smaller on .204 and .30-06. But I'm not to fussed about groups, as long as it is in the kill zone.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by franc » 13 Nov 2014, 6:44 pm

North East wrote:Smaller on .204 and .30-06. But I'm not to fussed about groups, as long as it is in the kill zone.

Presumably though that's down to you shooting better with less recoil, not the break itself making it more accurate.
Remington 700. .308 Winchester.
franc
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by deye243 » 13 Nov 2014, 6:55 pm

whats recoil got to do with accuracy ?
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by North East » 13 Nov 2014, 7:08 pm

deye243 wrote:whats recoil got to do with accuracy ?

A lot…use one and you will notice the difference…I don't see anyone using a .338 Lapua without a brake on it…and they are effective on the smaller calibers.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 13 Nov 2014, 7:21 pm

well i ordered one today for my 7mm rem mag so i can hopefully see impacts out yonder.

i have only used a muzzle break on a 375 cheytac .

the 7mm it is going on will shoot a .3689moa at 760y wen i'm having a good day so it will be interesting to see if it does in fact improve things but i don't think this rifle is capable of any better.....
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by North East » 13 Nov 2014, 7:30 pm

deye243 wrote:well i ordered one today for my 7mm rem mag so i can hopefully see impacts out yonder.

i have only used a muzzle break on a 375 cheytac .

the 7mm it is going on will shoot a .3689moa at 760y wen i'm having a good day so it will be interesting to see if it does in fact improve things but i don't think this rifle is capable of any better.....

You'll probably see the vapour trails of the projectiles impacting.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 13 Nov 2014, 7:46 pm

i'm not having a go but my point was i don't think recoil has anything to do with accuracy or lack of , i have lost count of the times privately and at the club

when someone has said see if you can get this to shoot and it does it's just that they have a flinch .

i suppose what i'm trying to say is it's there flinch not the recoil that is the problem people just have to learn to roll with the rifle some call it follow through .

cheers
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by North East » 13 Nov 2014, 7:57 pm

Not everyone shoots at a club or a range…I never do…I don't give a damn about the noise…wear good hearing protection…but if you can watch the thermal trail of the projectile hitting it rocks. Anything that reduces recoil and makes you more comfortable has to be good.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Westy » 13 Nov 2014, 9:16 pm

North East wrote:Not everyone shoots at a club or a range…I never do…I don't give a damn about the noise…wear good hearing protection…but if you can watch the thermal trail of the projectile hitting it rocks. Anything that reduces recoil and makes you more comfortable has to be good.

X 2 Are we related ?? Your North East and I'm West :?: :lol: :?: :evil:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by North East » 13 Nov 2014, 9:22 pm

Westy wrote:
North East wrote:Not everyone shoots at a club or a range…I never do…I don't give a damn about the noise…wear good hearing protection…but if you can watch the thermal trail of the projectile hitting it rocks. Anything that reduces recoil and makes you more comfortable has to be good.

X 2 Are we related ?? Your North East and I'm West :?: :lol: :?: :evil:

I hope I never meet NNW.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 13 Nov 2014, 9:27 pm

me neither for the last 17 years .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by nords » 14 Nov 2014, 1:55 pm

deye243 wrote:the 7mm it is going on will shoot a .3689moa at 760y

:shock:

Feeling a little inadequate right now :lol:
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by deye243 » 14 Nov 2014, 2:18 pm

nords wrote:
deye243 wrote:the 7mm it is going on will shoot a .3689moa at 760y

:shock:

Feeling a little inadequate right now :lol:

i forgot to put this in that post :oops:

well today i scored a 21"x1/2" gong for $10 so i took it

out to me range , i didn't have much time to have a good

crack at it (kids gotta go here gotta go there :( ) but i

think i did alright considering there was a x wind of

10 to 15K on the 1st 2 shots i thought i missed the 2nd

but i was sure i herd the bing so i got on the radio to

my son (he was hiding behind a big red box tree so

he told me there was 2 touching) no wonder i couldn't

see it .

and then the wind just droped out like it does here on the coast

and i sent 3 down quick smart and i was impressed to say the least.

range 760y

IMG_1516 (Medium) (2).JPG
IMG_1516 (Medium) (2).JPG (400.79 KiB) Viewed 7765 times

IMG_1517 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1517 (Medium).JPG (141.32 KiB) Viewed 7765 times

IMG_1518 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1518 (Medium).JPG (254.43 KiB) Viewed 7765 times

this an old pic of where the the gong and milk jugs go
IMG_1435 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1435 (Medium).JPG (177.79 KiB) Viewed 7765 times

cheers
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Westy » 14 Nov 2014, 7:02 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

WoW thats some fancy shooting ,I thought .766 @ 200 m was good today 3 shot group but that bloody Awesome!!!LOL used the Hinterland brake today for the first time and found it weird it was shooting 12' high but still center from the setting with out the break!!!! Bloody noisy in those tin sheds at SSAA but the felt recoil was pretty awesome and a vast improvement on the original rifle!!!! :D ;) :D
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Westy » 14 Nov 2014, 7:03 pm

Westy wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

WoW thats some fancy shooting ,I thought .766 @ 200 m was good today 3 shot group but that bloody Awesome!!!LOL used the Hinterland brake today for the first time and found it weird it was shooting 12' high but still center @ 100m from the setting with out the break!!!! Bloody noisy in those tin sheds at SSAA but the felt recoil was pretty awesome and a vast improvement on the original rifle!!!! :D ;) :D
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 14 Nov 2014, 7:07 pm

WoW thats some fancy shooting ,I thought .766 @ 200 m was good today 3 shot group but that bloody Awesome!!!LOL used the Hinterland brake today for the first time and found it weird it was shooting 12' high but still center from the setting with out the break!!!! Bloody noisy in those tin sheds at SSAA but the felt recoil was pretty awesome and a vast improvement on the original rifle!!!! :D ;) :D

12" high at what range? the brake will add a little velocity but it's not noticeable at shorter ranges

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 14 Nov 2014, 7:20 pm

At a 100 m Chronos ????? Kinda high but it was 12" kinda freaked me out .I thought may be a couple but 12" was alot.looked for contact points but nothing and holes were perfectly round??? Go Figure :?: :?: :?:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by North East » 14 Nov 2014, 7:41 pm

Westy wrote:At a 100 m Chronos ????? Kinda high but it was 12" kinda freaked me out .I thought may be a couple but 12" was alot.looked for contact points but nothing and holes were perfectly round??? Go Figure :?: :?: :?:

I've never experienced that with HSS brakes. In 2 calibers it only took 1 or 2 shots to zero, probably didn't have to adjust any thing. 12"..something wrong there.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 14 Nov 2014, 7:42 pm

i can only do that when the breeze is consistent or none i have a long way to go reading the breeze when it's wofty

can't wait to get the brake and give it a try so i can the hits
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 14 Nov 2014, 7:43 pm

Westy wrote:At a 100 m Chronos ????? Kinda high but it was 12" kinda freaked me out .I thought may be a couple but 12" was alot.looked for contact points but nothing and holes were perfectly round??? Go Figure :?: :?: :?:

I reckon someone forgot the last time they shot their rifle was at longer ranges and they clicked back to their 100m zero, bt forgot the last turn of the elevation turret :lol:

seems like a lot of elevation, i couldn't put it down to the brake. the only way to know is to take it off again and check zero

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 14 Nov 2014, 8:34 pm

Chronos wrote:

I reckon someone forgot the last time they shot their rifle was at longer ranges and they clicked back to their 100m zero, bt forgot the last turn of the elevation turret :lol:

seems like a lot of elevation, i couldn't put it down to the brake. the only way to know is to take it off again and check zero

Chronos

Thats what i thought and sure enough thats what I did returned it to zero without the break and it was only shooting 1 inch high @ 100 ???? Will take it out and work on it tomorrow going to bed now :?: :?: :?: It's got me stuffed
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Westy » 15 Nov 2014, 6:59 am

Well I didn't sleep a wink last night so I went down the shed early this morning and guess what, I think we have a winner??? I seated my pills 100 thou deeper on this load as they were getting better groups last time I was load testing!!! Dohhhh last lot 3.100 @ 44 grn of 2209 this lot 3.000 @ 44 grns of2209 plus a muzzle brake and I think the mystery is solved, well here's hoping. same old problem try changing to many things at once and this is what you get.Also when I measure the difference on the target was only still 6". ANYWAY LOOKS LIKE OPERATER FAILURE TO ME!!!!! lol
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by meateater » 15 Nov 2014, 2:48 pm

Westy wrote:Well I didn't sleep a wink last night

Dreaming of muzzle brakes? :lol:
meateater
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Hinterland muzzle brakes

Post by North East » 15 Nov 2014, 7:45 pm

Have you got that brake sorted yet?

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Westy » 15 Nov 2014, 7:58 pm

North East wrote:Have you got that brake sorted yet?

All sorted was as normal operator error!!!!SNAFU :lol: :lol: :lol: post pick 2morrow
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by North East » 15 Nov 2014, 10:30 pm

You will not regret it.

....that will do me
North East