Hinterland muzzle brakes

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Hinterland muzzle brakes

Post by deye243 » 19 Nov 2014, 12:40 am

yep the percussion just about gives me a instant headache it is brutal :o i would rather shoot the 375 ct .

and no i ain't joking .

so i now have no follow through as when the sears break boooooom and i automatically close my eyes

this is a reflex action as it's like getting hit in the forehead with a bat . :oops:

so there you have it i must be a wimp. :geek:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by North East » 19 Nov 2014, 6:08 am

Get better hearing protection. I use Peltor SportTac when using the brake or without. Not a problem.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Westy » 19 Nov 2014, 7:46 am

deye243 wrote:yep the percussion just about gives me a instant headache it is brutal :o i would rather shoot the 375 ct .

and no i ain't joking .

so i now have no follow through as when the sears break boooooom and i automatically close my eyes

this is a reflex action as it's like getting hit in the forehead with a bat . :oops:

so there you have it i must be a wimp. :geek:

I found the same thing when shooting my 6.5 under the roof @ SSAA. It's given me the s**ts so I've removed it from my rifle as well pretty expensive paper weight!!!! :evil: :( :twisted:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 19 Nov 2014, 8:03 am

Ahh crap , that no good fellas , I'll say the blast did take me surprise at first but it didn't cause any negative effects. Out in the grass you don't get the blast back from the roof. Maybe give it another go out in the open.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 19 Nov 2014, 8:09 am

Chronos wrote:Ahh crap , that no good fellas , I'll say the blast did take me surprise at first but it didn't cause any negative effects. Out in the grass you don't get the blast back from the roof. Maybe give it another go out in the open.

Chronos

Yep will fit it up when shooting the Military comps, found it reduces recoil sure but the shape of the vents point up and the concussion from the roof s**ts you to tears!!!! so your right Chronos out in the paddock shouldn't be a problem. I hope :) :D :)
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by schink » 19 Nov 2014, 10:44 am

Westy wrote:Yep will fit it up when shooting the Military comps, found it reduces recoil sure but the shape of the vents point up

If you put the brake on the other way around...

Recoil will still come down but I guess muzzle jump goes way up?
schink
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 19 Nov 2014, 12:19 pm

North East wrote:Get better hearing protection. I use Peltor SportTac when using the brake or without. Not a problem.

hearing protection has nothing to do with it it's a shock wave ..... like at the drags with a top fuel car..

Chronos wrote:Ahh crap , that no good fellas , I'll say the blast did take me surprise at first but it didn't cause any negative effects. Out in the grass you don't get the blast back from the roof. Maybe give it another go out in the open.

Chronos

have a look in the pic i was out in a paddock funny how the 375 cheytac is a pussy but this thing is just nasty

brake on the 375
IMG_1050 (Small).JPG
IMG_1050 (Small).JPG (28.65 KiB) Viewed 3813 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by North East » 19 Nov 2014, 10:45 pm

deye243 wrote:
North East wrote:Get better hearing protection. I use Peltor SportTac when using the brake or without. Not a problem.

hearing protection has nothing to do with it it's a shock wave ..... like at the drags with a top fuel car..

Chronos

have a look in the pic i was out in a paddock funny how the 375 cheytac is a pussy but this thing is just nasty

brake on the 375
IMG_1050 (Small).JPG

I don't give a damn whether you have a .375…that rifle would be absolutely useless around where I live. I would leave it in the boot and borrow another rifle.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 19 Nov 2014, 11:30 pm

funny that i never said i have a 375 (which i don't) what a pity you live in such a place that you can only shoot short range .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by chacka » 20 Nov 2014, 8:29 am

North East wrote:I don't give a damn whether you have a .375…that rifle would be absolutely useless around where I live. I would leave it in the boot and borrow another rifle.

Geez calm down. Why the hostility?
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Swarm » 20 Nov 2014, 8:33 am

schink wrote:If you put the brake on the other way around...

Recoil will still come down but I guess muzzle jump goes way up?

It would work as a brake still, I suspect you'd be hopping so far off target though it would be too much of a pain in the ass to ever bother with.
Sako 75 Hunter IV 6.5x55 SE with Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm
CZ 455 .22LR with Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm CDS
Winchester 88 .284 Winchester
Swarm
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 20 Nov 2014, 9:03 am

chacka wrote:
North East wrote:I don't give a damn whether you have a .375…that rifle would be absolutely useless around where I live. I would leave it in the boot and borrow another rifle.

Geez calm down. Why the hostility?

I didn't read that as hostility, well maybe at the though of carrying a tac style rifle around his backyard.

I think NE has a valid point. If you look at the kind of steep thick terrain Victorians hunt sambar in a 6-7lb rifle is ideal and a heavy hitting .30 cal or larger the cartridge of choice a brake makes perfect sense if you'd like to see which way the beast went when it was hit.

You can't compare a 17lb rifle to a. 6lb rifle

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by chacka » 20 Nov 2014, 2:31 pm

You can't compare a 17lb rifle to a. 6lb rifle

By the same token maybe people shouldn't compare where they live and how they shoot to someone else and say their rifle is useless because of it ;)
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Gunsmithing