Removing rust in bore

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Removing rust in bore

Post by Baldrick314 » 07 Nov 2015, 3:26 pm

Big effort from you there. Those corrosive primers a huge pain in the ass! You should be able to get it re-barrelled without too much hassle. If you've already bought all the reloading gear might as well get it shooting, money permitting of course. I can imagine how stoked the old man would be to see it brought back to life :).

Yeah I'll try take some photos from the range day, hopefully none of me with a blown up face :lol:
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Swarm » 09 Nov 2015, 12:32 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:Yeah I'll try take some photos from the range day, hopefully none of me with a blown up face :lol:

Yeah usually best to avoid that :P
Sako 75 Hunter IV 6.5x55 SE with Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm
CZ 455 .22LR with Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm CDS
Winchester 88 .284 Winchester
Swarm
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 13 Dec 2015, 7:12 am

I finally got out to the range yesterday and put some rounds through the old girl. Good news first: I still have 10 fingers, two eyes and my face in its original configuration :lol:. Even though I was pretty sure everything would be fine sitting down to that first shot was a little nerve racking.

Aside from a couple of failure to fires (to be expected with milsurp ammo) everything went well. I was expecting a bit of muzzle flash from the Carbine but I was surprised just how much I got. The day was pretty bright but I still saw a massive gout of orange flame leap out of the muzzle on most shots.

In the end the best result I could manage was about a 6" group at 50y. This exceeds my somewhat naive goal of 2 MOA accuracy I stated above but after shooting this rifle I've reevaluated what I expect from it.

The sights are horrible and I had a hard time getting consistent alignment from them, add to that milsurp ammo from different batches and my first time shooting rifles in over 3 months and I reckon I can definitely improve on that result.
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Dec 2015, 9:06 am

Great to get a follow up And that you still have all your bits. Perhaps have another look at the crown? Got a mate with a lathe?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 13 Dec 2015, 10:41 am

Oldbloke wrote:Great to get a follow up And that you still have all your bits. Perhaps have another look at the crown? Got a mate with a lathe?

The crown is pretty rough but before I go to the trouble of having proper machining work done to it I'm gonna try load up some consistent ammo and see if that makes any difference. A bit more practice on my part wouldn't go astray either :lol:.

I've heard stories of blokes touching up crowns with a marble and lapping paste. Normally I wouldn't use such a crude method on any of my rifles but maybe I can try it on this one and if I do bugger it up I can just go to a smith for a recrown since I probably would have been up for that anyway. Something to think about for later anyway.
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 13 Dec 2015, 12:28 pm

in the past i have used a ball from a bearing silver soldered to a a socket head bolt and used in drill with light lapping paste works ok
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Dec 2015, 4:27 pm

Yep I once lopped about an inch off an old 22rf. Then filed it square and lapped it with fine valve lapping paste with a steel rod that had been carefully ground to a shallow point at say 30 deg .. rifle shot heaps better then. Might sound rough but it works. Heaps easier with a mates lathe though! Just hacksaw, clean it up and I reackon a counter sink bit would do a good job.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Releb » 15 Dec 2015, 8:42 am

Works fine by hand if you're not going to serious match accuracy
Tikka Stainless from 30-06 Springfield lane.
Releb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Previous

Return to Gunsmithing