Removing rust in bore

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Removing rust in bore

Post by bunnybuster » 24 Apr 2015, 1:32 pm

RDobber wrote:Where does one buy something like that anyway?

I didn't think you could really get that level stuff outside of trade channels?

This is used for rust treatment/removal in surface preparation of steel in industry and marine applications,you will probably find it

at an industrial/marine paint supplier,I bought a 1 ltr container,about $45, 100% ,dilute it with distilled/rainwater to use.

Brilliant stuff for recovering old iron/steel,for example I have cleaned an old axe,absolutely crusted in rust,to now clean grey

steel with makers name etc clearly legible,if I had used grinding/blasting methods this would most likely be lost. :thumbsup:

Be Safe BB
bunnybuster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bunnybuster » 24 Apr 2015, 1:43 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:Got a polish rubbed into it this afternoon. Came up pretty well just how I wanted it.

Now onto the bluing

If you want to raise the dents in the timber,use a cotton cloth [ pinch a teatowl from the kitchen ] saturate it in water and lay it over the dent,

use the mrs steam iron and lay it on the cloth over the dent,roll it back and forth over the dent,and the steam will progressively raise the indent.

I have found this method pulls poo out of the grain too,so use a cloth you can toss after the job.

Be Safe BB
bunnybuster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by SendIt » 26 Apr 2015, 8:21 pm

FuzzyM wrote:I love it when something like this gets rescued from a fate as scrap.

Yeah it's good to see on the right project.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by dando223 » 05 Nov 2015, 2:25 pm

Really enjoyed reading this thread. What has ended up happening to the ol'girl? Is she back together?
dando223
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 05 Nov 2015, 4:03 pm

dando223 wrote:Really enjoyed reading this thread. What has ended up happening to the ol'girl? Is she back together?

Thanks Dando. I've been side tracked many times but it's nearly finished. Stock has been re-finished and oiled and most metalwork re-blued. The barrel and action refuses to take the blue though, it keeps coming up patchy.

Next step is to take it to the range and see whether it shoots before investing money to get it properly blued. Thus far it's cost me a knife and about $20 in materials :lol:

If she shoots any better than 2" at 50m with the ex-mil ammo I've got then I'll grab some components to load for it too
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by dando223 » 07 Nov 2015, 1:53 pm

Great news Baldrick!! I went through the same kind of labour of love for my old man's 303/25 that he had shot with some dodgy old gunshow necked down ex-mil 303 to 303/25... The old boy didn't bother cleaning it (cordite & corrosive primers for sure I reckon) and he left it in the cupboard for a couple of decades after ammo dried up, and when I asked him for a look at it a few months ago, you could barely see any rifling because of all the rust. Long story short, I spent a lot of time trying to get the rust out and quite a bit of money buying dies and forming and loading brass but no deal. It wont even stabilise 87 grainers now and keyholes 1 in 5 shots at least. If I can get it rebarrelled though I will, and I'll re-blue it and completely redo the stock. I just want to see the look on the old man's face when he sees his first ever centrefire looking like it did when he bought it in the 60's. Cant put a price on that. If he can smack just one more pig with it too, that would make all the grief and headaches worth it.

Good luck with the rest of the work to the gun Baldrick, I hope the gun gods are kinder to you than they were to me. I'd love to see a photo of it when its all done! 11/10 for effort mate.
dando223
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 07 Nov 2015, 3:26 pm

Big effort from you there. Those corrosive primers a huge pain in the ass! You should be able to get it re-barrelled without too much hassle. If you've already bought all the reloading gear might as well get it shooting, money permitting of course. I can imagine how stoked the old man would be to see it brought back to life :).

Yeah I'll try take some photos from the range day, hopefully none of me with a blown up face :lol:
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Swarm » 09 Nov 2015, 12:32 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:Yeah I'll try take some photos from the range day, hopefully none of me with a blown up face :lol:

Yeah usually best to avoid that :P
Sako 75 Hunter IV 6.5x55 SE with Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm
CZ 455 .22LR with Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm CDS
Winchester 88 .284 Winchester
Swarm
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 13 Dec 2015, 7:12 am

I finally got out to the range yesterday and put some rounds through the old girl. Good news first: I still have 10 fingers, two eyes and my face in its original configuration :lol:. Even though I was pretty sure everything would be fine sitting down to that first shot was a little nerve racking.

Aside from a couple of failure to fires (to be expected with milsurp ammo) everything went well. I was expecting a bit of muzzle flash from the Carbine but I was surprised just how much I got. The day was pretty bright but I still saw a massive gout of orange flame leap out of the muzzle on most shots.

In the end the best result I could manage was about a 6" group at 50y. This exceeds my somewhat naive goal of 2 MOA accuracy I stated above but after shooting this rifle I've reevaluated what I expect from it.

The sights are horrible and I had a hard time getting consistent alignment from them, add to that milsurp ammo from different batches and my first time shooting rifles in over 3 months and I reckon I can definitely improve on that result.
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Dec 2015, 9:06 am

Great to get a follow up And that you still have all your bits. Perhaps have another look at the crown? Got a mate with a lathe?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 13 Dec 2015, 10:41 am

Oldbloke wrote:Great to get a follow up And that you still have all your bits. Perhaps have another look at the crown? Got a mate with a lathe?

The crown is pretty rough but before I go to the trouble of having proper machining work done to it I'm gonna try load up some consistent ammo and see if that makes any difference. A bit more practice on my part wouldn't go astray either :lol:.

I've heard stories of blokes touching up crowns with a marble and lapping paste. Normally I wouldn't use such a crude method on any of my rifles but maybe I can try it on this one and if I do bugger it up I can just go to a smith for a recrown since I probably would have been up for that anyway. Something to think about for later anyway.
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 13 Dec 2015, 12:28 pm

in the past i have used a ball from a bearing silver soldered to a a socket head bolt and used in drill with light lapping paste works ok
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Dec 2015, 4:27 pm

Yep I once lopped about an inch off an old 22rf. Then filed it square and lapped it with fine valve lapping paste with a steel rod that had been carefully ground to a shallow point at say 30 deg .. rifle shot heaps better then. Might sound rough but it works. Heaps easier with a mates lathe though! Just hacksaw, clean it up and I reackon a counter sink bit would do a good job.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Releb » 15 Dec 2015, 8:42 am

Works fine by hand if you're not going to serious match accuracy
Tikka Stainless from 30-06 Springfield lane.
Releb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Gunsmithing