Cleaning a new .223

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Cleaning a new .223

Post by Lorgar » 04 Dec 2014, 9:31 am

This is sort of my version of Tiigers advice above...

When using my target rifle I have an adjustable rest at the front and bag at the rear. Because the rifle is supporter by the rest and bag all I really have on the rifle is my thumb on the back of the grip to support my hand and a finger on the trigger.

Once I'm nestled into the rifle I just do subtle movements with my shoulder to aim from the butt rather than pushing the grip around. I exhale before a shot and hold it so my body goes still, then all I do is pull one finger back on the trigger. There isn't much of me touching the rifle to shake it around.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 04 Dec 2014, 4:36 pm

Thanks guys, I think a few more times out and probably best to find a range.

I started a new thread on this subject here: Tips to shoot straight
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 05 Apr 2015, 10:16 pm

Just an update, been doing ok but noticed the 223 not going so well so decided to take it to the range.
The worst thing I've done is buy cheap ammo its PMC Bronze FMJ, this stuff groups around 5 inches I thought I stuffed the gun so lucky I brought some other ammo, the S+B Match is still under an inch and Hornady just a bit over.
So the problem is I have cleaned it 2-3 times and I can still see copper colour in the rifling and the Hoppe's 9 just dont seem to remove it.
I have never seen green colour on any patch so I dont think its coming out.
Whats a good solvent?
Most of all is it right to see copper colour in the rifling, and I have used a nylon and brass brushes.

Another thing is I think the Nikko Stirling just ain't up to it so will start looking at new ones.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by huccl » 07 Apr 2015, 11:17 am

If you can still see the copper in the rifling still you definitely have too much in there to call it clean.

I use Boretech solvent now and it works.
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SendIt » 07 Apr 2015, 11:25 am

rsj223 wrote:So the problem is I have cleaned it 2-3 times and I can still see copper colour in the rifling and the Hoppe's 9 just dont seem to remove it.
I have never seen green colour on any patch so I dont think its coming out.
Whats a good solvent?
Most of all is it right to see copper colour in the rifling, and I have used a nylon and brass brushes.

The green colour is a reaction between the copper and solvent. You won't see it with all so that's nothing to worry about.

If you can see copper still obviously it's not gone. How long are you leaving the solvent in for you?

Do you just patch it through, scrub it and patch it out straight away?

For stubborn fouling try run a wet patch through, give it a scrub with a nylon brush to agitate the solvent and leave it for 15 minutes. Patch it out with a few dry patches and see how it looks. Try a repeat or two until the dry patch comes out basically clean and you should hopefully find the fouling is gone.

The solvent should be doing the majority of the work for you. You're not trying to physically scrape it clean with the brass brush.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 07 Apr 2015, 10:48 pm

So went to LGS and said the silly new guy thing " this gun is shooting 3 inch groups its no good" he then asked how do you clean it? I said with the Hoppe's 9 he said and?
Anyway I should have used "sweets" to remove the copper, he said your your gun's all chocked up and needs cleaning properly.
I brought the whole package at the one shop, just said give me everything I need to shoot and maintain but something was missing, oh well hope I haven't killed it.
Will start this stuff now and see how it go's.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 08 Apr 2015, 11:41 pm

Used this product "sweets 7.62" patched it through and ended up with some very blue patches, looked like I used food dye.
So does this sound right it took just a few minutes and I done it twice just to make sure.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by BBJ » 09 Apr 2015, 11:11 am

rsj223 wrote:I brought the whole package at the one shop, just said give me everything I need to shoot and maintain but something was missing, oh well hope I haven't killed it.

Relax mate.

All barrels build up fouling. It can potentially degrade accuracy over time temporarily as fouling builds up and depending on the rifle. Clean it out and you're spring fresh ready to go.

Some match shooters actually prefer to never clean their barrels as they find the consistent fouling makes for consistent accuracy instead of transitions from a clean to dirty barrel while shooting. (others will disagree but there are guys doing this getting top results.)

Get it clean and try it out but don't stress, you haven't damaged anything.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Rocker » 09 Apr 2015, 11:15 am

rsj223 wrote:Used this product "sweets 7.62" patched it through and ended up with some very blue patches, looked like I used food dye.
So does this sound right it took just a few minutes and I done it twice just to make sure.

Sounds right :thumbsup:

Sweets is a lot stronger solvent than Hoppes.
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by rsj223 » 09 Apr 2015, 11:20 am

Rocker wrote:
rsj223 wrote:Used this product "sweets 7.62" patched it through and ended up with some very blue patches, looked like I used food dye.

Sounds right :thumbsup:

Sweets is a lot stronger solvent than Hoppes.

Thanks, cant wait til the weekend to try it out
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 12 Apr 2015, 7:28 pm

So it was just fouled up, its now back around 30mm at 100mtr, slow learning but getting there.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Herdsman » 13 Apr 2015, 11:45 am

Gratz :D
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman