Rifle fit and adjustable cheek rest

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Rifle fit and adjustable cheek rest

Post by on_one_wheel » 29 Nov 2014, 5:21 pm

G'day folks, I'm looking at buying an adjustable cheek rest to fit to my standard Rem 700 BDL stock to give me propper cheek weld.

At the moment with my eye propperly aligned with the scope and my cheek pressed firmly against the stock my cheek bone is a good inch above the comb, I would like my cheek bone to be sitting on the comb for better consistency

I am looking at something like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Adjustable-K ... 43c9353d88

I think for the sake of two holes drilled in my wooden stock and $40 bucks, it would be well worth it.

Has anyone here fitted one ?

Is the one im looking at any good ?

Cheers
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Rifle Fit.

Post by mausermate » 29 Nov 2014, 7:17 pm

Drilling holes in your nice wooden stock to fit a plastic cheek piece would not be my preference.

A friend bought me a nice leather strap on cheek peice from triple K brand, San Diego. worth a look.

Otherwise I would have my gunsmith pro fit a cheek peice. M2c
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by FuzzyM » 29 Nov 2014, 7:40 pm

I got on of these for my .22:

http://westernfirearms.com.au/shooting- ... -4068.html

Works well.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Nov 2014, 8:53 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:G'day folks, I'm looking at buying an adjustable cheek rest to fit to my standard Rem 700 BDL stock to give me propper cheek weld.

At the moment with my eye propperly aligned with the scope and my cheek pressed firmly against the stock my cheek bone is a good inch above the comb, I would like my cheek bone to be sitting on the comb for better consistency

I am looking at something like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Adjustable-K ... 43c9353d88

I think for the sake of two holes drilled in my wooden stock and $40 bucks, it would be well worth it.

Has anyone here fitted one ?
Is the one im looking at any good ?

Cheers

It's actually more like $70 with delivery! :D I wouldn't be drilling mine either I'm afraid, I'd rather get a proper one done by a qualified gunsmith.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Nov 2014, 9:06 pm

Keep in mind that some of these things can get in the way when it comes to removing your bolt!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 29 Nov 2014, 9:55 pm

One of the things that's important to me with the Tacticool rifles is a proper adjustable cheek rest. Consistent cheek weld is critical to target sighting and another variable to accuracy that can be minimised. The pros of the kit you link are that it's a solid fit with little or no chance of movement once adjusted though you will need to drill holes in the existing stock. Maybe not an issue if you intend to leave it on there permanently though it will look out of place on a timber stock. The slip on style may be prone to movement but at least they can be removed and don't need any holes drilled.
How I adjust the height of mine...I rest my jawbone on the upper edge of the cheek piece then slide my face down till my chubby little cheek doesn't move any more. I then set the height of the cheek piece so my eye is dead centre of the scope. I find that this technique has the best repeatability for positioning when shooting any of the big guns.

Had to stop reading Mausermate's post after he mentioned a friend bought him a nice leather strap on...:)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by mausermate » 29 Nov 2014, 10:11 pm

I should have said "lace on" no no, I mean ...... I don't know what I mean. :oops: Here is a link, and they come in lots of sizes...........
http://www.triplek.com/Products/id/38/grp/63/prd/1542/
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 29 Nov 2014, 10:18 pm

mausermate wrote:I should have said "lace on" no no, I mean ...... I don't know what I mean. :oops: Here is a link, and they come in lots of sizes...........
http://www.triplek.com/Products/id/38/grp/63/prd/1542/

"Made from top grain cowhide with molded padding sewn in. Lace up for easy on and off." Maaate....I'm not into kinky shooting but whatever floats ya boat :lol:
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 30 Nov 2014, 5:36 am

AWE you Guys!!!!!!!! :lol: :D :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 30 Nov 2014, 1:34 pm

It's actually more like $70 with delivery! :D I wouldn't be drilling mine either I'm afraid, I'd rather get a proper one done by a qualified gunsmith.

When you say " a propper one " do you mean done like this ?

images.jpeg
images.jpeg (4.99 KiB) Viewed 11087 times

im bussy researching adjustable comb hardware now, I'm confident I can do a neat job of it myself.

I have pulled out the kids play dough and molded a bit to bring it up to the right height, I will need 20 mm of added height to get where I need to be wich as suggested above will be a problem when removing the bolt so what ever I do it needs to be easly removed or adjustable preferably with indexing marks so it can be returned to the correct position without fuss.

I found a good explanation of the process of fitting adjustable comb hardware.
http://www.bkwebstergunsmith.com/adjust ... rsion.html

and some examples of rough as hessian underpants jobs.

hqdefault.jpeg
hqdefault.jpeg (14.98 KiB) Viewed 11084 times
:lol: :lol: :lol:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gregg » 02 Dec 2014, 10:15 am

FuzzyM wrote:I got on of these for my .22:

+1 for the Bistoli

Also got one, that gets my vote.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Mich » 02 Dec 2014, 10:17 am

mausermate wrote:Drilling holes in your nice wooden stock to fit a plastic cheek piece would not be my preference.

Will kill your resale value, that's for certain.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Re: Rifle fit and adjustable cheek rest

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Dec 2014, 4:42 pm

Im not too fussed about resale value because my .243 is a keeper and has already been modified to make it more practical, not tactical :lol:

I recon ill go down the adjustable comb path, I want something solid
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Tiiger » 03 Dec 2014, 9:12 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Im not too fussed about resale value

Meh, go for it.

You can always fill the holes with a bit of Selleys to make it presentable (enough) later if need be.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Harronek » 05 Dec 2014, 5:10 am

I was going to mention your scope height , but looking at the photo it doesn't seem to bad .

Can you get the scope any lower ?

I really don't understand some of the scope - mount combinations I see on some people's rifles .

Get the scope as low as it will go , I've even scalloped out the bolt handle on a rifle before so it would clear the eyepiece .

The trend for large scopes has created a higher than normal scope height on many rifles . Those big scopes are fine when used in combination with a stock designed with them in mind , but put them with a more standard older dimensioned stock and the result is a complete " balls up " .

My own rifle with the absolute lowest scope - mounts combination still requires a small lift in comb height to be perfect , but its so small that a slip on neoprene sleeve made from a stubby cooler about 5mm thick is all that's needed ..

Good luck getting the set up correct on your rifle , you are certainly doing the right thing by sorting this problem out no mater how you achieve the desired result .

Ken
A designer knows they have achieved perfection , not when there is nothing left to add , but when there is nothing left to take away .
Harronek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Fry » 05 Dec 2014, 9:57 am

Harronek wrote:I was going to mention your scope height , but looking at the photo it doesn't seem to bad .

I really don't understand some of the scope - mount combinations I see on some people's rifles.

I dunno either...

You see the occasional bloke at the range with an inch of clearance between his objective and barrel.

Dealer didn't have the right rings and... Buyer CBF waiting? Dealer just wanted to sell what he had instead of the right thing?

Who knows.
Fry
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Grrzrr » 05 Dec 2014, 10:57 am

Worst I've see was some guy with what I think was a 56mm objective on a Ruger Scout which still had the rail attached so the objective couldn't go with the barrel taper.

That thing was high.
Grrzrr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Dec 2014, 7:12 pm

Harronek wrote:I was going to mention your scope height , but looking at the photo it doesn't seem to bad .

I really don't understand some of the scope - mount combinations I see on some people's rifles .

Get the scope as low as it will go , I've even scalloped out the bolt handle on a rifle before so it would clear the eyepiece .

The trend for large scopes has created a higher than normal scope height on many rifles . Those big scopes are fine when used in combination with a stock designed with them in mind , but put them with a more standard older dimensioned stock and the result is a complete " balls up " .

My own rifle with the absolute lowest scope - mounts combination still requires a small lift in comb height to be perfect , but its so small that7 a slip on neoprene sleeve made from a stubby cooler about 5mm thick is all that's needed ..

Good luck getting the set up correct on your rifle , you are certainly doing the right thing by sorting this problem out no mater 7how you achieve the desired result .

Ken

very good point about scope height, its a shame gun shops spend zero time helping people with gun fit let alone even thinking about it.

I only have 4mm between the objective and the barrel, more luck than good management.

I think the problem might be that the rifle came with open sights as standard and perhaps the stock is designed to suit that set up.

So my hardware has arrived for the comb modification, I found one on ebay. Yet another project when i said to myself i should have bought a mini lathe.

20141219_200448(1).jpg
20141219_200448(1).jpg (207.84 KiB) Viewed 11197 times

I would have preferred one with adjustable posts rather than one with slotted fastening holes but I think it will be fine.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Korkt » 21 Dec 2014, 5:28 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I only have 4mm between the objective and the barrel, more luck than good management.

That's perfectly fine though.

They don't all need to be .5mm from the barrel, regardless of what the 'experts' say :roll:

3, 4, 5, 6mm... No problems shooting anywhere.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Sep 2015, 10:03 pm

Project update

I've found a Remington rifle stock at the NESSCI swap meet that was held yesterday, it's perfect for me to finally try my hand at fitting my adjustable comb hardware to.... and I don't need to ruin my BDL stock trying.

I've started by cutting a card template and sticking it to the centre line of the comb with tape on both sides making a hynge so I could trace an accurate line to cut along.

I've then cut the first two angled cuts with a hacksaw because it cuts straight and thin.
Then I used a hand scroll saw to cut the radius corners and switched back to the hacksaw for the straight horizontal cut.

A little carefull sanding and it's shaping up well.
2015-09-14 21.27.03.jpg
2015-09-14 21.27.03.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 9132 times

I've still got some work ahead of me because this stock is from a adl ? with no provisions for a floor plate so I'm going to have to cut and shape that area to.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Arth » 15 Sep 2015, 2:58 pm

Looks pro so far mate.
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 15 Sep 2015, 6:29 pm

Almost there, just some cleaning up stain and polish and I'm done .

Like they say, rough enough for out bush. :thumbsup:
2015-09-15 17.52.22.jpg
2015-09-15 17.52.22.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 9125 times
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Noisydad » 15 Sep 2015, 7:11 pm

Just keep the drill chips and stick 'em back in the hole at sellng time.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 15 Sep 2015, 8:08 pm

Noisydad wrote:Just keep the drill chips and stick 'em back in the hole at sellng time.

I should be able to salvage some sawdust from the vacuum cleaner for that :lol:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by lole » 17 Sep 2015, 10:10 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Like they say, rough enough for out bush. :thumbsup:

Nah looks good :mrgreen:
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Sep 2015, 8:18 pm

Got the floor plate fitted , finished the adjustable comb, fitted a rubber recoil pad to replace the hard plastic Remington one and painted the stock :o because the paint stripper I used to remove the dark varnish was too strong for the wood and turned it grey :violin:
Now I need a new pair of action screws as mine are a fraction too short for this stock.
2015-09-19 19.36.00.jpg
2015-09-19 19.36.00.jpg (286.58 KiB) Viewed 9113 times
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Utcherd » 22 Sep 2015, 1:42 pm

Yeah looks awesome mate.

Jewelled bolt too I see? DIY?
Utcherd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 22 Sep 2015, 8:19 pm

Utcherd wrote:Yeah looks awesome mate.

Jewelled bolt too I see? DIY?

Cheers , Plenty of people probably think otherwise but it's all about practically for me now, pretty showpieces have no place in my safe at this point in time.
The rifle came with the jewling , it was a Remington 700 BDL untill it was hit with the sand blaster , cerakoted and had the modified stock fitted.
I've put the BDL stock away for safe keeping, and if I can find a good 700 .223 action I might build that on it.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Herdsman » 29 Sep 2015, 8:51 am

On the subject of bling.

Do you reckon the jewelling actually helps with keeping the bolt cycling smoothly like they say or just a gimmick?
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 22 Feb 2016, 12:31 am

Herdsman wrote:On the subject of bling.

Do you reckon the jewelling actually helps with keeping the bolt cycling smoothly like they say or just a gimmick?

I'd say 90% bling 10% function

It looks great and may help retain oil.
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 01 Mar 2016, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Gunsmithing