Marine ply rifle stock

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Marine ply rifle stock

Post by RDobber » 29 Jan 2015, 1:53 pm

Will be interested to see the Tikka :)
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by DaleH » 12 Feb 2015, 1:39 pm

Yes, the Tikka would be good to see - keep us posted
DaleH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Lorgar » 13 Feb 2015, 3:03 pm

inervate wrote:Go the Dremel ;)

They're a great little too.

Mine would be 16 or 17 years old now and still gets regular use. Going strong.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 23 Feb 2015, 11:32 am

Slixxor wrote:Heres a pic of my homemade stock for my Savage Classic MKII .22. I'm using 'B' grade maple hardwood ply sourced from a local supplier on the Gold Coast here. The overall design suits my size and style of shooting. It has balanced the weight perfectly above the trigger allowing it to get on target faster and the reduce crosshair hunt.

let me know what you think!

I think that is one of the best homemade stocks I have ever seen, well done.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Kater » 23 Feb 2015, 7:27 pm

Good job mate :thumbsup:
Savage Model 25 Lightweight Varminter 204 Ruger
Leupold VX-2 6-18x40mm

Savage Model 11/111 BTH 30-06 Springfield
Bushnell Elite 3-9 40mm
Kater
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Slixxor » 18 Mar 2015, 7:11 am

Here is a video of the wife giving it a shoot at the range. had to make some minor adjustments to allow the bolt to slide freely but it has definitely improved accuracy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsq6fA4ycZI

Now i just need a finish. unsure if I should paint it or wax it and let the colours of the timber shine through. cabinet makers wax leaves a tough hardy finish so ill tidy it up with the dremel and let the timber shine.
Slixxor
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by south » 18 Mar 2015, 8:46 am

Would have been fun taking it out for the first time :D
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Slixxor » 18 Mar 2015, 12:42 pm

Yes, its a rewarding feeling indeed. The rifle is a cheapy but I do look after it. I gave it a good clean once I removed the action from the factory stock and after milling the selleys knead it steel bedding the proof was in the pudding on paper. I would have taken a snap of 10 rounds at 25m but we sunk a good 120 into 2 different "6 pack" paper targets.

I use MS paint for my designs so I may upload the "actual size" image I used as a base concept after taking measurements of the action and factory stock. So you can simply cut and glue the template straight to the timber like I did. I'm sure with some slight tweaking it could be adjusted to suit any rifle or caliber, only advice I suggest is add an extra 2-3mm everywhere (except the slot for the action if your walls are quite thin). the timber used in this case is 3 x 12mm maple ply. Laminating adhesives such as kwik grip add 1-2mm extra thickness to each surface. in the case of this project the absolute thickness of the blanks laminated was 41mm. 41-(3x12)=5mm the difference.

I have got a few designs I may share. I am a fan of pistol grips and tacticool designs but I've got a long-range hunter - prone/bench design that hopefully may kick ass on the T3 varmint .308.
Slixxor
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Slixxor » 18 Mar 2015, 12:48 pm

p.s: Sorry for the thread highjack @DaleH :P
Slixxor
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by tactice » 18 Mar 2015, 3:01 pm

Damn topic hijackers :lol:
Remington 700 VTR .22-250 Rem
Remington 700 VTR .308 Win
tactice
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Baturb » 19 Mar 2015, 12:35 pm

This is something I have been thinking about for a bit, I have made a couple of stocks before, my biggest concern would be, how would the laminated beam used in house construction hold up to recoil from large calibers like 25-06, 30-06, 308 etc, I have a 25-06 coming and want to make a stock for it, previously I have used Kapur, an Indonesian hardwood, it works well on my 6.5x55, I have a slab left to make another for the 25-06, but I do like the looks of the laminated stocks, here is a pic of my homemade stock on my 6.5x55
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (76.09 KiB) Viewed 3793 times
Baturb
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by harlow » 20 Mar 2015, 1:43 pm

Nice work Baturb :thumbsup:
Savage 25 Lightweight Varminter .223 Rem
Savage Model 25 LVT .17HMR
harlow
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 20 Mar 2015, 2:04 pm

Baturb wrote:This is something I have been thinking about for a bit, I have made a couple of stocks before, my biggest concern would be, how would the laminated beam used in house construction hold up to recoil from large calibers like 25-06, 30-06, 308 etc, I have a 25-06 coming and want to make a stock for it, previously I have used Kapur, an Indonesian hardwood, it works well on my 6.5x55, I have a slab left to make another for the 25-06, but I do like the looks of the laminated stocks, here is a pic of my homemade stock on my 6.5x55

See Post 3 in viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4030
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by idahofisher » 09 Jun 2015, 1:58 am

Slixxor wrote:Heres a pic of my homemade stock for my Savage Classic MKII .22. I'm using 'B' grade maple hardwood ply sourced from a local supplier on the Gold Coast here. The overall design suits my size and style of shooting. It has balanced the weight perfectly above the trigger allowing it to get on target faster and the reduce crosshair hunt.

The bedding is made of selleys kneadIT steel then machined using a dremel. It makes for a solid engagement on the action and when firing.

heres a pic of the almost finished surface. mostly made using a dremel, grinder flap discs and sand paper. template can be provided if anyones interested :)

let me know what you think!

I just picked up the same rifle from a friend, but mine came with no stock(he broke it), so I have been searching the net for templates, came across yours. It is exactly the design I have drawn up, minus a bipod mount. Still interested in passing along a copy of your template to a yank across the sea?

Good bless, Fisher
God bless, and watch your six, somethin's brewing. Fisher
idahofisher
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Previous

Return to Gunsmithing