Are we all caught up in Technology too much ?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Are we all caught up in Technology too much ?

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Dec 2014, 4:47 pm

Took my sentimental old pet canon out for a few shots recently, (.303)

It came as a bit of a reality check the 1st shot.
I had forgotten how crude the trigger pull etc was on these venerable old girls.

Which made me stop and think how we (generally speaking) seem to be so caught up these days with the modern way of things.
ie: jewel triggers, set triggers, recoil reducing gadgets etc etc.

Taking all these measures to be able to hit the target / bull at xxx meters and so on.

The boys that were handed the old three o threes,, and sent off to fight had to make do with "one size fits all".
Yet despite all that, a large number of our boys became damn good marksmen with these dinosaurs, with open sights to boot.

Really opens your eyes when you stop and think about it all.

Are we all a bunch of pussies, wallowing in technology these days ??? :o
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Are we all caught up in Technology too much ?

Post by cavok » 24 Dec 2014, 4:56 pm

There are many shooters down here who still regularly use their old sharps, sorry must not say old. Sharps are great firearms then as the new replicas, no mod cons on those old beauties.

My old 1911 Cold was over 50 years old when I was required to hand it in at the buy back, basically it was as when made. Now I'm allowed to again get a 1911 .45, but its not the same, my old toy destroyed, it's best to remember rather than get some look alike new toy.

Shot many a .303, many years ago ad still a friend has several, untouched but loved and cleaned on a very regular basis. I was never a great fan of telescopic sights, back then my father said, if at 100 yards you can't hit your target with my .22 JGA, he said you should not own one then. But with some of my new toys, I know exactly what you mean.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Korkt » 24 Dec 2014, 4:59 pm

There's certainly some truth to all that.

Hitting a bulleyes at 800m used to mean put pick up a proven rifle and practice. A lot. You worked with what you had or you didn't work.

Now it's wheeling out the shooting accessories trolley, and as much time spent tinkering with gadgets to maker shooting easier than practicing.

Not lecturing by any means either, I'm guilty of the same.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Kipper » 24 Dec 2014, 5:13 pm

Die Judicii wrote:The boys that were handed the old three o threes,, and sent off to fight had to make do with "one size fits all".
Yet despite all that, a large number of our boys became damn good marksmen with these dinosaurs, with open sights to boot.

More incentive to work hard and get good than spend 5 minutes after every dud shot telling everyone in arms reach why it wasn't your fault :lol:
Kipper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Chronos » 24 Dec 2014, 6:12 pm

I suppose we're all pussies for driving modern vehicles with air bags and abs brakes too,

being weak or spoilt has nothing to do with it, you choose the best tool you can afford for the job,

as for the blokes that were handed a SMLE or an SLR they did what they could with what they had, don't let anyone tell you an issued .303 could hit a beer can at 600y, i'd be suprised if modern handloads in accurised no4 could shoot much better than 1MOA.

i can tell you if i was asked to climb a ridge and shoot any targets i encounter at unknown ranges in the rush to the top i'd probably choose iron sights too, infact i believe the current crop use a simple low powered scope (4X) with a basic ring retical for that reason, put the center of mass in the ring from zero to 300m and squeeze the trigger

as for what tools we have access to we still choose the best tool we can afford weather it be a custom gun with a 3oz trigger and high powered scope or a synthetic stocked production gun with a 3-9 scope and a 3lb trigger

i'd hardly say we were spoiled these days, particularly when you look at the costs associated compared to income, a reasonable cope could cost a weeks wages, a rifle double that and 1 box of factory ammo could be an hours wages,

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Dec 2014, 6:31 pm

I guess one day people will be looking at us and wondering how they used to use those things that go bang and you look through a tube to see thing, god only knows what the future of firearms will be, maybe lazer beam type things who honestly knows, it would be interesting to see what happens down the track alright.

And in comparison to days gone by we are very spoilt with firearms that don't cost a lot and well and truly outperform their predecessors for the most part, I guess due to advances in manufacture etc and better ammunition components and a better understanding of whats what compared to days gone by.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 24 Dec 2014, 8:03 pm

Based on the 4 computers I use to calculate firing solutions, I'd have to say no :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 24 Dec 2014, 8:10 pm

Going by all those who nearly bump into me while walking on the footpath while they are texting I would say yes.

Technology is a good thing, until the batteries go flat
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 24 Dec 2014, 8:16 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:Going by all those who nearly bump into me while walking on the footpath while they are texting I would say yes.

Technology is a good thing, until the batteries go flat

If they nearly bumped into you then it's also possible that you nearly bumped into them :D :D :D

All technology is powered by smoke cause once the smoke comes out it never works again :lol:
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 24 Dec 2014, 8:55 pm

That's why they invented slide rules still used today, cant fly without them, just in case the batteries go flat. I think to sail you still need to be able to use a sextant, sure there are other examples, like rifles with iron sites, Lol.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 24 Dec 2014, 10:09 pm

cavok wrote:That's why they invented slide rules still used today, cant fly without them, just in case the batteries go flat. I think to sail you still need to be able to use a sextant, sure there are other examples, like rifles with iron sites, Lol.

I learnt to fly gliders in the early 80's while in high school then progressed to power planes. I actually learnt to use the old school card & wheel type flight computers though damned if I can remember any of it now. I guess the better technology gets the dumber we get.....
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 25 Dec 2014, 7:26 am

Could be a little biased, but I'd say definitely YES! Heard an old fella in our BP club say that anyone can pick up a scoped rifle, stick factory ammo in it an reasonably expect decent groups within a few shots. Whereas an iron sighted BP rifle where you have to cast the balls, work out the correct patch thickness, test fire again and again to determine the best powder weight, patch thickness, ball diameter combo and shoot it accurately and competitively off hand takes some genuine skill.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Dec 2014, 7:42 am

Get rid of the forum. Way too technical. Lol
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 25 Dec 2014, 10:29 am

Further more, having been a Scout leader for ten years I reckon I'm qualified to say that video games make humans as dumb as a box of bricks! I'm still stunned at how little that kids can physically do with their hands!
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Dec 2014, 4:53 pm

Noisydad wrote:Further more, having been a Scout leader for ten years I reckon I'm qualified to say that video games make humans as dumb as a box of bricks! I'm still stunned at how little that kids can physically do with their hands!

That'd be the understatement of the century.

I was doing a job once that involved coating the tips of 50mm diam spikes used in conjunction with post drivers with hard facing mig wire.

I told the 3rd year apprentice that the boss wanted a costing per each spike for the hard facing mig wire used.

As we had started the job with a new roll of wire and had done 30 spikes, I thought it was a simple task.

Oh Oh...

He had absolutely no idea of where to start... let alone how to arrive at the final answer. :roll: :roll: :roll:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by FuzzyM » 25 Dec 2014, 10:20 pm

In terms of the computer games, I think it is all about moderation.

I have been playing computer games since I was old enough to push buttons, but I also grew up on a farm and spent a lot of time with my Auto-Elec grandfather.

I have a reasonable skill with most power tools, including welding.

I do a lot of my own work on my car and 4wd.

I am no Les Hiddens, but I would like to think my bush skills are better than nearly every person my age that I know.

A lot of it is how parents raise their children, I played plenty of Grand Theft Auto, but I don't have the urge to go steal cars and kill prostitutes.

I have just spent an hour and a half playing games, but I love the outdoors and so do all of my mates.

I like technology, got a smartwatch for Christmas :)
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by roob » 29 Dec 2014, 8:44 am

brett1868 wrote:Based on the 4 computers I use to calculate firing solutions, I'd have to say no :)

What does 4 do for you that 1 doesn't?
7mm-08 Tikka T3 Varmint and a .22-250 Tikka T3 Varmint
roob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Hatter » 29 Dec 2014, 8:45 am

brett1868 wrote:If they nearly bumped into you then it's also possible that you nearly bumped into them

:lol: :lol: :lol:
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by meateater » 29 Dec 2014, 8:47 am

brett1868 wrote:I guess the better technology gets the dumber we get.....

It's hurting other skills that's certain.

Hand writing always sticks out for me.

Some other folks hand written script is like art, every kid these days has hand writing like a monkey did it with his left hand.
meateater
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Old Fart » 29 Dec 2014, 8:54 am

Oldbloke wrote:Get rid of the forum. Way too technical. Lol

Just for old farts like us :lol:
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by tom604 » 29 Dec 2014, 10:17 am

model t ford better than a modern car? flintlock better than a new remingbomb ? hoop and a stick better than xbox ? newer is better, nostalgia makes you want/keep the old bangers/cars/bikes ect. dont get me wrong i like the old stuff as well but the new stuff is better and kids will be kids, most would rather be out and about than playing with xbox the kicker is that they want to be with you when they are out and about :o . teenagers are just aliens :shock: :lol:
just my opinion that i can spread with technology :twisted: :lol: :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Noisydad » 29 Dec 2014, 10:19 am

Jeez Old fart, if we got rid of the forum where would those of us over 50 get together to grizzle and whine then? :-D
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by sarki » 30 Dec 2014, 2:37 pm

I just wanna shoot good.

If something built using fancy tech does that for me I'll take it.
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 30 Dec 2014, 9:55 pm

roob wrote:
brett1868 wrote:Based on the 4 computers I use to calculate firing solutions, I'd have to say no :)

What does 4 do for you that 1 doesn't?

1. Kestrel NV4500BT for wind direction, speed, air temp, air pressure.
2. TruPulse 360R - distance and compass bearing to target.
3. Getac PS336 PDA - Running Field Firing Solutions Delta V software. Takes inputs from GPS and devices 1 & 2 via Bluetooth to calculate solution.
4. Barrett BORS - I use this mainly to keep track of the number of elevation clicks I've got dialled in (easier then counting). Can be used as a standalone ballistics computer but I haven't had much joy with it.

I'll use any technology available on the market to place a 50cal 750Gr AMAX / .416 400Gr VLD or .375 350Gr SMK on target. I'm currently shooting out to 1000m with a degree of accuracy and making small improvements all the time, some by technology, some by load development but most by improving my technique / skills. Technology in shooting has it's place but it's no substitute for technique and practise.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by North East » 30 Dec 2014, 10:01 pm

A .30-06 at 100 yards still does the job. Probably goes yonder but I just don't do that.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by roob » 31 Dec 2014, 8:33 am

brett1868 wrote:1. Kestrel NV4500BT for wind direction, speed, air temp, air pressure.
2. TruPulse 360R - distance and compass bearing to target.
3. Getac PS336 PDA - Running Field Firing Solutions Delta V software. Takes inputs from GPS and devices 1 & 2 via Bluetooth to calculate solution.
4. Barrett BORS - I use this mainly to keep track of the number of elevation clicks I've got dialled in (easier then counting). Can be used as a standalone ballistics computer but I haven't had much joy with it.

I put the reticle over the bullseye and pull the trigger :D

:lol:

Jokes... Seriously though, how long does it take you to input/read all that and actually take a shot?
7mm-08 Tikka T3 Varmint and a .22-250 Tikka T3 Varmint
roob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 31 Dec 2014, 10:08 am

Jokes... Seriously though, how long does it take you to input/read all that and actually take a shot?

Through that marvel of modern technology called Bluetooth the firing solution is calculated near instantly after ranging the target. Then it's whatever time it takes me to wind in the dope and squeeze the trigger. I'm shooting targets so it's not like they move, once elevation is sorted it's just a matter of reading the wind over the course. For general hunting I do as you do, point and shoot :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ex_reven » 31 Dec 2014, 11:46 am

Die Judicii wrote:The boys that were handed the old three o threes,, and sent off to fight had to make do with "one size fits all".

Really opens your eyes when you stop and think about it all.

Are we all a bunch of pussies, wallowing in technology these days ??? :o

I shoot old service rifles - k98's and enfields and my service rifle competition scores are atrocious :lol:

They are capable rifles but their intended use is completely different to modern hunting/target rifles.

Aim at belt buckle of enemy and squeeze trigger - hope heavy unaerodynamic 200gr projectile hits target and spreads its innards a few dozen yards beyond.

This is the reason service rifle targets are 4 times the size of everything else in use at the range.

Still a hell of a lot of fun hearing the 70 year old rifles bark, and getting a kiss from the steel buttplate every round :D
Custom 6mm Dasher
Sako 85, Sako Quad,
K98, K98 Sniper, No 4 Mk 1/2, Norinco JW25a
Kimber 1911 .45ACP, S&W 629 .44 Mag, Walther PPQ, Walther P22, S&W 686, Colt Gold Cup
Akkar Churchill, Crossman 1077
ex_reven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by sha » 02 Jan 2015, 10:27 am

ex_reven wrote:This is the reason service rifle targets are 4 times the size of everything else in use at the range.

When all else fails they'd be a good club :lol:
Savage Axis The Definition of Accuracy

Savage 93 .22 WMR
Savage 93R17 .17 HMR
Savage 110FP .308 WIN
sha
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Gunsmithing