Brno Model 2 22LR accuracy

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Brno Model 2 22LR accuracy

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jan 2015, 9:29 pm

lole wrote:Mucho dead bunnies with that accuracy.

Yep she does a fine job on the bunnies. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by 6mmdasher » 08 Jan 2015, 6:13 pm

well I hate to say it but winchester bushman ammo is as about as cheap as 22lr ammo you can get and the groups of around an inch is really good. try some powerpoints or some of the European hunting ammo like RWS HVHP and you may be really surprised!!!!!!!!!!
22lr, 22br,6mm br,30br, 6mm PPC,6mm dasher, 6mm superLR, 260 rem, 257 rob ack imp,7 x 57 ack imp,308 win,30/06 ack imp, 32/20, 44/40, 444 marlin,12.14 x 42mm
6mmdasher
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jan 2015, 6:37 pm

6mmdasher, Intend to do just that when I get a chance. Thanks
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mich » 09 Jan 2015, 8:03 am

6mmdasher wrote:try some powerpoints or some of the European hunting ammo like RWS HVHP and you may be really surprised!!!!!!!!!!

Adding a vote here for RWS.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Jan 2015, 8:56 am

Perhaps we could come up with a "most accurate .22lr ammo" list?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 09 Jan 2015, 9:31 am

Oldbloke wrote:Perhaps we could come up with a "most accurate .22lr ammo" list?

Not the worlds most comprehensive list but here's what I've got...

22LR ammo comparison (12x shootout)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 17 Jan 2015, 1:04 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Perhaps we could come up with a "most accurate .22lr ammo" list?

It's a bit too subjective, OldBloke. What might be really accurate in one rifle may not be good in another, as you well know.

Too many variables to account for. It would be a tome, not a list.

Would be interesting if, for instance, all the BRNO Model 2 owners listed their 3 best rounds and see where the cross over was, if any, for accurate ammo.

One other tip from what others have said already. Although i don't have BRNO, on both my 22lr, once i found the best round (available and affordable, anyway, I could always test more!) i found that the group tightened with a little experimenting with the action screw torque settings. For some reason, both my old Sportco and my new T-bolt both like the front screw a little tighter than the rear. Somewhere around 25 inch pounds at the front and 20 at the back; give or take for each rifle.

Also you mentioned applying a pressure point bedding (plastic bit under the barrel). My Sporty also hated being floated. I experimented with the position of the pressure point and exactly how thick it was (how much pressure it was applying) by folding up business cards and moving them from the end of the fore-end back an inch each mag full to get it shooting as good as I can get it. I then used the business card to set the height and used some "bog" to make a permanent (but removable if needed) pressure point.

Might be going a bit far for you, but these are some things you can try if you are really excited by the idea of tinkering for accuracy.

Have fun and good luck.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Jan 2015, 1:22 pm

Gwion wrote:One other tip from what others have said already. Although i don't have BRNO, on both my 22lr, once i found the best round (available and affordable, anyway, I could always test more!) i found that the group tightened with a little experimenting with the action screw torque settings. For some reason, both my old Sportco and my new T-bolt both like the front screw a little tighter than the rear. Somewhere around 25 inch pounds at the front and 20 at the back; give or take for each rifle.

Yep that's an ol benchrest shooters trick that one, they used to adjust the action screws - I do it on my CF rifles too, seems to make a diff alright. (may well be a bedding issue?) but either way it works and works well for the most part. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jan 2015, 8:19 pm

Thank bfs, I had forgoten about the tension trick, not gonna bother with the bog though
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Jan 2015, 8:38 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Thank bfs, I had forgoten about the tension trick, not gonna bother with the bog though

My little Mod 2 is all original, only thing I've played with is the front screw - it shoots fine for a bunny buster :thumbsup:

Nailed this one at around 80m - straight between the eyes shooting off the mirror of the BT :lol: I can't remember if I was running Win PP Subs or just straight PP's :unknown:

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Jack V » 17 Jan 2015, 8:39 pm

I find in a Brno model 2 it's the centre screw that cause all the problem because it is not supported by the stock well not in the model I have .
What I do is bed the action and barrel all the way to the front forend screw and then place a pillar between the action and trigger guard rail so the centre screw pressure can't bend the stock towards the action. Also I find that Brno barrels are fitted with a hydraulic wrench system and are so over tight it's ridiculous . It actually distorts the action . So I remove the barrel lap the barrel threads slightly to remove the insanely tight fit and refit the barrel . With Winchester power points mine has put 10 in under an inch at 100 metres quite a few times but if the wind comes up the group spreads . Shot heaps of roos in the head at upto 100 meters with it in the old days .
Not sure what it would do now as I have not shot it for about 5 years . the bedding could be stuffed and need redoing but knowing a Brno I bet it still shoots ok.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Jan 2015, 9:21 pm

Jack V wrote:I find in a Brno model 2 it's the centre screw that cause all the problem because it is not supported by the stock well not in the model I have .
What I do is bed the action and barrel all the way to the front forend screw and then place a pillar between the action and trigger guard rail so the centre screw pressure can't bend the stock towards the action. Also I find that Brno barrels are fitted with a hydraulic wrench system and are so over tight it's ridiculous . It actually distorts the action . So I remove the barrel lap the barrel threads slightly to remove the insanely tight fit and refit the barrel . With Winchester power points mine has put 10 in under an inch at 100 metres quite a few times but if the wind comes up the group spreads . Shot heaps of roos in the head at upto 100 meters with it in the old days .
Not sure what it would do now as I have not shot it for about 5 years . the bedding could be stuffed and need redoing but knowing a Brno I bet it still shoots ok.

Sounds like you've got it sorted mate. I haven't bothered doing anything to mine (I have done the lowey trigger spring kit) but other than that she's all original, I haven't found it necessary to muck around with it to be honest, it shoots fine for hunting purposes (if I was wanting to shoot groups I'd definitely do work to it) but she's only a hunter so not needed. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sally-bee » 18 Jan 2015, 8:56 am

Gwion wrote:i found that the group tightened with a little experimenting with the action screw torque settings. For some reason, both my old Sportco and my new T-bolt both like the front screw a little tighter than the rear. Somewhere around 25 inch pounds at the front and 20 at the back; give or take for each rifle.

How much of an improvement we talking?
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Vati » 18 Jan 2015, 8:57 am

bigfellascott wrote:Image

Interesting front rest you've got there.

The Greens should approve, it's 100% organic and natural :lol:
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Jan 2015, 9:03 am

Vati wrote:Interesting front rest you've got there.

The Greens should approve, it's 100% organic and natural :lol:

:lol: :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Jack V » 18 Jan 2015, 9:55 am

bigfellascott wrote:Sounds like you've got it sorted mate. I haven't bothered doing anything to mine (I have done the lowey trigger spring kit) but other than that she's all original, I haven't found it necessary to muck around with it to be honest, it shoots fine for hunting purposes (if I was wanting to shoot groups I'd definitely do work to it) but she's only a hunter so not needed. :thumbsup:

Every Brno model 1 or 2 that I have ever seen was quite accurate out of the box , plenty enough for hunting as you say . I just like to fiddle about and improve things a bit if I can. Bedding in a rimfire is not that critical as there is no recoil to tame like a larger centre fire has . However I still like to do it to keep the stock straight . My Brother-in-law has a really nice pristine condition Model 1 with a very nice figured walnut stock that shoots very well . I have tried to buy it but he will not part with it . Mine shoots well but the stock is a fairly plain looking one . Since the Rabbits dissapeard from my spots I don't use a rimfire much anymore . I would like to buy a Brno model 5 action but they are fairly rare now .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 18 Jan 2015, 3:58 pm

sally-bee wrote:How much of an improvement we talking?

Its noticeable, Sally. Maybe made 1/4 inch at 50m on my T-bolt. Hard to say. I recently cleaned out all my test targets but will try to find an example when I get home from work.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 18 Jan 2015, 7:09 pm

So i found a couple of test targets that i had saved that show the effect of action screw torque settings on 22lr accuracy.

Hopefully it demonstrated the effect well enough.

Cheers
EDIT: Oh yeah, 0.224" has been removed from the measurements as per standard practice when measuring groups. I zero my calipers on a bullet first then measure outside to outside of widest point in the group.

Tbolt-torque-test.jpg
From memory I started with around 15"lb (inch pounds) and changed one screw at a time by 5"lb (up) and then started tweeking bit by bit when it started looking ok. This was at 50m.
Tbolt-torque-test.jpg (140.05 KiB) Viewed 10348 times

Best-test-group.jpg
This one was just having a bit of fun once i had settled on a setting. 5 shot group center and then a single shot at each corner diamond. If you over lap the diamond shots it make quite a small group indeed. I can't do this every day but the rifle can. These groups are shot off home made sand (actually rice) bags.
Best-test-group.jpg (151.28 KiB) Viewed 10348 times
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Jan 2015, 7:52 pm

" If you over lap the diamond shots it make quite a small group indeed. " As Harry Hoo would say " Ammazzing!
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sally-bee » 20 Jan 2015, 12:11 pm

Gwion wrote:Its noticeable, Sally. Maybe made 1/4 inch at 50m on my T-bolt. Hard to say. I recently cleaned out all my test targets but will try to find an example when I get home from work.

Yeah that's quite a lot. Thought we might be talking 1/16th or something a bit pedantic like that to be honest :lol:
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 19 Mar 2017, 5:26 am

Anyone know where I can get a new barrel for my Brno ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Mar 2017, 7:26 am

I didn't think it was possible to wear them out. Have you slugged the barrel?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Mar 2017, 9:23 am

bigpete wrote:Anyone know where I can get a new barrel for my Brno ?

I'd imagine any barrel could be screwed into a Brno action Pete, just buy a brand you like and get it plumbed in. :thumbsup:

My mate has a custom brno benchrest rifle that shoots extremely well (put together by redback but it's not like any Brno I know, it's a straight pull with a left hand ejection port and all sorts of mods but as I said it's one hell of a shooter (so it would want to be for the $$$ - I think around $6k or there abouts but he bought it off a fella for about half that from memory.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 20 Mar 2017, 10:13 pm

Hi there.....

Now as the name implies.

To the original question of the model 2. The accuracy that your talking about is acceptable for a hunting rifle. They can be a bit fussy with the ammunition so try as many brands/types that you can get your hands on.

1. Beddding the action in Devon or similar will help
2 Tension the action screws and the centre screw all the same, nothing to heavy handed.
3. Funny enough don't clean the bore. Leave it
4.This sounds right out of left field BUT check the bottom of the bolt to see if it's marked by the lips on the magazine. If it is it's a slight presssure problem. I've found over the years that some 10 shot mags cause this when fully loaded. As they lock up into the action it causes the bolt to lift ever so slightly as it goes into battery. Try a five shot, they never do.
5. Bruno barrels NEVER wear out, especially one from the late 70's. In their day the factory used to throw the steel out into the elements for 5 years before profiling and rifling was done, HARD is an understatement.
6.Best ammo I've found in both model 1 and 2 is called SK "match"..... standard velocity but incredibly accurate.
7.Forget the trigger spring trick. Get a Rifle Basix drop in set up to suit a CZ452' all you have to do is take a bit of timber out of the trigger slot in the stock, fully adjustable to pressures that you only dream of. Locating pins are identical it's the travel of the trigger that needs the slight modification to the stock.
8. If by any FAINT chance the barrel needs replacing....and only if it's ringed or pitted.....Shillian.... I have one fitted to a model 2 that I use for BR 50, standard stock, bedded in devcon...Rifle Basix trick and I have no trouble out shooting "Annie's " any day.

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Mar 2017, 7:33 am

Thanks for that Collector, I appreciate the time and effort to write that info for us. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 21 Mar 2017, 3:00 pm

Something else that tends to work well in them is the SK Magazine ammo - it comes in a round tin and is "bulk packed". I general it performs better than most.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Mar 2017, 3:12 pm

BRNO_Bigot wrote:Something else that tends to work well in them is the SK Magazine ammo - it comes in a round tin and is "bulk packed". I general it performs better than most.

Any good for hunting or is it more paper poking ammo?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 21 Mar 2017, 4:05 pm

Paper poking as you call it.

I have heard from a friend that RWS HVHP are good in Brnos as well, but then we start getting out of the price range of Remington Golden bullets.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Apollo » 21 Mar 2017, 5:07 pm

There is no such thing a any one breed of .22LR Ammo that is good in any Brno or any other rifle.

Every Rimfire will work best with what ever ammo IT likes. Two Brno's, same model. same age, same everything else will work better with what it likes.

You don't really need to trick a Brno Model 2 for example to make it accurate unless some reason it didn't shoot in the first place other than finding the ammo it likes.

I have shot my standard factory 1965 Brno Model 2 in a State Title Target 200 Yard competition against 40 other competitors using Custom Grade Rimfire Rifles worth many thousands of dollars and held 6th place most of the day.

Target wise it's best ammo was Eley Black Match (expensive) but very close to it is Lapua Centre-X much cheaper and that's what I used for the competition. Hunting it's the old version Winchester PowerPoints BUT the new version isn't near as consistant.

Old story with ANY .22LR is buy all and every breed you can find and test them all, one will shine above all others. If you change manufacturer of ammo then clean the bore to remove the different wax coating but other than that I do not clean a .22LR for any other reason.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Gunsmithing