Brno Model 2 22LR accuracy

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Brno Model 2 22LR accuracy

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Dec 2014, 11:20 am

In 1978 purchased a new Brno Model 2 .22 lr. Since that time I have only put about 1500 rounds through it and it’s in near perfect condition. But I have never been able to get the accuracy I hoped. Over the years I have tried a few different brands of ammo including sub-sonics. At the moment I’m getting about 1” at 75 meters using Winchester Bushman ammo with a little upward pressure on the barrel using a piece of thin plastic. I have also tried free floating the barrel but that was not as good. I recently cleaned and slugged the barrel and it seems fine and the crown is un-damaged. Trigger is set at about 2.5 pounds and the rifle is fitted with a Tasco 2-8 x 40

I’m Just wondering:
Is this accuracy about what I should realistically expect?
What ammo has worked best for other Brno Model 2 owners?
What other tricks or tips can I try to improve accuracy?

I don’t want to drastically modify the rifle such as lopping the barrel.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Brno Model 2 22LR accuracy

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Dec 2014, 12:10 pm

I'd say that's about right mate, just do the usual testing of diff brands of ammo etc, you could lighten the trigger more by putting a lighter spring in it (pen springs work well usually) or a Lowey kit which comes with an assortment of springs and shims etc.

Don't forget they are hunting rifles not bench rest rifles so don't expect that sort of accuracy from them, mines good enough for minute of bunny head at 100m which is a long way for a little 22 (killing power wise) with reliable consistency anyway.

The only thing I've done to mine is put a Lowey Spring Kit in it - I don't clean the barrel at all either, no oil nothing, 22's don't tend to like clean barrels, they seem to shoot better with dirty barrels (which works for me) :D

Mine seems to like the New Win Power Point Subs and a few other brands too (can't remember which now sorry) but even with ammo that doesn't shoot as well I've poked bunnies in the head out near 100m, I figure if the shots stay inside an orange at 100m the rabbits in trouble (that's roughly the size of a rabbit head) :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Dec 2014, 12:22 pm

Thanks, might take another look at the trigger. In this case I cleaned it to slug the barrel. I normally only clean the barrel once in a blue moon.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 29 Dec 2014, 12:46 pm

nah mate, you will never get it right, give up and sell it now,,$50 do ya ? you pay postage :twisted: :P

try a better scope,thinner cross hairs?,,buy/borrow as many brands of ammo (including target) as you can get,,windless day, couple of bags,put rifle back to stock (might as well start from standard) clean rifle,,ten fouler's, five shots at target with fouler ammo, next ammo do five fouler's and five target shots,repeat, why i say five fouler's with the next ammo is that for some reason (my rifle anyway) it takes a while to settle down, not sure if its the different coating/wax on the bullets. you could do more than one group of five on target, it all depends on how much ammo you have. pick the best three or four types and go from there. an inch at 75 mtrs is fine for bunnys/foxes,,better than i can do and i still head shoot the bugxers but not at 100 mtrs, can't see em at a 100 :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Dec 2014, 1:53 pm

What are you using the rifle for Old Bloke?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Dec 2014, 2:29 pm

Nailed this one at around 70-80m out of the window of the BT

Shot straight between the eyes

He was hiding under this log in the shadows

She only wears a 4x Jap Tasco but I wouldn't swap that scope for anything else, been there 30yrs + and never given any issues and is fine under the light too.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Dec 2014, 4:42 pm

Scott, 99% of the use is rabbits. Those 1500 rounds that have been though it have accounted for ,, I guess close to 1000 rabbits. The odd fox but very fussy about the shots I take at foxes with the 22 these days, only close head shots on foxes. Mmm you have a much nicer looking piece of walnut than mine.looks a later model. Had a tinker today and tha trigger is now 1.5 pound down from 2.5 pound. Should help.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by valkyrie » 29 Dec 2014, 6:28 pm

I have a model 1and that seems to work best with high velocity power points no matter how long its been since a clean.
Remington 700 sf .308
Mossberg 4x4 22-250
Brno model 1 .22
Trusty 12 gauge
valkyrie
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Dec 2014, 6:54 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Scott, 99% of the use is rabbits. Those 1500 rounds that have been though it have accounted for ,, I guess close to 1000 rabbits. The odd fox but very fussy about the shots I take at foxes with the 22 these days, only close head shots on foxes. Mmm you have a much nicer looking piece of walnut than mine.looks a later model. Had a tinker today and tha trigger is now 1.5 pound down from 2.5 pound. Should help.

Yeah a good trigger is a must for half decent groups I reckon, What did you do to it? I think that stock of mine is Beech, it was originally covered in some god awful brown stain, I got sick of looking at it so took to it with some sandpaper :lol: then I finished the stock off with Veggie or Olive Oil from memory then a few coats of some sort of burnishing oil (triton) I think the brand was, seems to have some sort of shelac type thing in it too, I think I also gave it a go over with a tinted wax (feast Watson) not sure of the colour in it.

That's an 80's mod 2e, she's a good little bunny gun, I wouldn't stuff around with your's too much mate, as I say we don't shoot groups on fur, so long as the first shots on the money or close to it that will do. ;)

What's the Tasco on your's? Jap, Chinese or Philippines?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Dec 2014, 7:10 pm

If I recall correctly I shortened the original trigger spring yrs ago. Today I removed the " locking washer" and this allowed me to backit off a little further. How do I tell where the scope is made? Its a world class 2 to 8, about 4 yrs old. Is nice and clear.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Dec 2014, 7:25 pm

Oldbloke wrote:If I recall correctly I shortened the original trigger spring yrs ago. Today I removed the " locking washer" and this allowed me to backit off a little further. How do I tell where the scope is made? Its a world class 2 to 8, about 4 yrs old. Is nice and clear.

They often have it written on the ocular lense, usually written in black, if she's only recent it might be chinese or philippines? do you have the box it came in< it will be written on it.

I've got a Philippines made one and its a bloody nice scope too, very bright and sharp (I've compared it to my Zeiss Conquest and Nikon and can't see SFA diff in it both under low light/night conditions. Only thing I don't like about it is the dials, they are a little spongy type thing when I adjust it but so far its holding zero fine.,
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Dec 2014, 7:29 pm

If I recall correctly I shortened the original trigger spring yrs ago. Today I removed the " locking washer" and this allowed me to backit off a little further. How do I tell where the scope is made? Its a world class 2 to 8, about 4 yrs old. Is nice and clear.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 30 Dec 2014, 8:21 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Over the years I have tried a few different brands of ammo including sub-sonics.

How many is a few?

Anschutz make an accurate rifle as you know, not with all ammo of course.

Breaking mine in I was getting 2" to 0.5" at 50m and it took more than a dozen to find that last winner that shot under 0.5".

The usual suspects... Winchester, CCI, Federal all shot pretty crappy for me.

RWS, Sellier and Bellot, SK. These were the winners for me.

Could it be worth you're while trying a few more kinds?
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 30 Dec 2014, 8:23 pm

Oh and as it's for hunting... RWS High Velocity and Sellier & Bellot HV HP were the most accurate super-sonics I found.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Tiiger » 30 Dec 2014, 8:24 pm

Oldbloke wrote:How do I tell where the scope is made? Its a world class 2 to 8, about 4 yrs old. Is nice and clear.

From memory... Is there a very small imprint on the bottom of the unit where the dials are?

Pretty sure the Word Class were made in Japan.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Dec 2014, 8:51 pm

Bit late tonight, will check the scope out tomorrow. Tried about 5 or 6 if I recall correctly and dont remember which ones. Perhaps its time to revisit the ammo. It was donkeys ago.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Dec 2014, 9:11 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Bit late tonight, will check the scope out tomorrow. Tried about 5 or 6 if I recall correctly and dont remember which ones. Perhaps its time to revisit the ammo. It was donkeys ago.

Yeah it can't hurt mate, mine shoots the Win Power Point Subs (40gn well) not benchrest type thing but well and truly good enough for bunny heads at 50m and beyond with good consistency.

Have fun mate and whatever you do once you find something it does shoot well and you find it kills well STOCK UP BIGTIME - nothing worse than finding something it shoots well only to find its no longer made! :D been there done that one! ;)

Also use a sandbag or something for the rear and front, that way it should eliminate most of the human factor as such. Socks filled with rice or sand are pretty simple and cheap to make (put the sand in a plastic shopping bag them stuff it in a sock to give it some shape type thing (you may need a few socks to help get it firm enough).

Anyway have fun.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Dec 2014, 9:53 pm

Yep got a plastic bag/sock full of wheat and a diy stand
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Dec 2014, 9:56 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Yep got a plastic bag/sock full of wheat and a diy stand

That should do the job nicely I reckon, good luck with it mate. ;)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Lorgar » 31 Dec 2014, 2:45 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Have fun mate and whatever you do once you find something it does shoot well and you find it kills well STOCK UP BIGTIME

That's it.

6 bricks of RWS waiting for me the LGS at the moment. Has been just about as many months since I bought ammo for it :|

Reserves are dwindling...
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Dec 2014, 3:00 pm

World class, says Made in china
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Dec 2014, 3:18 pm

Lorgar wrote:6 bricks of RWS waiting for me the LGS at the moment. Has been just about as many months since I bought ammo for it :|

Reserves are dwindling...

Sounds like some fun coming your way too mate. :lol: I just finished loading up 200 204's and 222 for tomorrow nights raid on the rabbits and foxes. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Tiiger » 01 Jan 2015, 1:14 pm

Oldbloke wrote:World class, says Made in china

Ah ok, my bad.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 01 Jan 2015, 1:16 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Sounds like some fun coming your way too mate. :lol: I just finished loading up 200 204's and 222 for tomorrow nights raid on the rabbits and foxes. :D

Gotta get it while it's going.

Where I am I have 2 LGS that I'd go to.

A box of the RWS club at 1 is $7 at the one that's an hour away.

Or it's $12 at the one that's 10 minutes away :(

Never bothered asking what a brick costs there because... Well f*** that I'm not paying double :lol:

They're always more expensive, but close, only shopped at in emergencies.

Otherwise stock up at the cheaper place so I don't have to do the drive often :D
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cavok » 01 Jan 2015, 1:36 pm

This is a picture of my JGA, .22lr. When I purchased this I wanted the Bruno model 1, but from memory that was about $20 extra, could not afford that back 40++ years ago.
So you have by far the superior rifle, best mine shoots is 1" group at 75 mtrs, about the distance it likes best. Has about 5000 rounds through it over the years, BUT I was instructed poorly, I clean mine after every shooting occurrence, if it gets wet in the field get extra treatment. been through a few long road trips.

P1040187.JPG
P1040187.JPG (1.05 MiB) Viewed 10064 times
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Jan 2015, 4:27 pm

So it is starting to sound like 1" at 75 mtrs is typical of a light sporter

I must be dreaming? Was hoping to halve that.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jan 2015, 3:00 am

We were shooting gongs today at 80m and the little red dot in the centre copped a fair hiding, at that was the daughter doing most of the shooting too :D

I wouldn't complain about a 1" at 75m that's well and truly good enough to make a bunnies day go from good to bad, we shot a heap of them little bastards too ;)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AusC » 03 Jan 2015, 10:11 am

Oldbloke wrote:So it is starting to sound like 1" at 75 mtrs is typical of a light sporter

Doesn't sound too bad to me I must say.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Jan 2015, 2:17 pm

I was out playing with the 22's over the break, we set this 3" Bisalloy 500 gong at 80m - all shooting done with the Savage Mk2 and Brno Mod 2 using 3 diff types of ammo, the main mass group is from CCI Standards and Win Power Point Subs, the other couple of stray shots are from that Fed Bulk Ammo stuff (it clearly doesn't like them) :lol: I don't think the Brno shoots em very well either. :D and strangely enough they shoot lower too :?

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by lole » 04 Jan 2015, 8:25 pm

Mucho dead bunnies with that accuracy.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Next