*crack* sound from walnut stock :(

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

*crack* sound from walnut stock :(

Post by upup » 07 Jan 2015, 12:15 pm

So I might have a problem...

Was shooting on the weekend and past the rifle to a mate. I was holding around the trigger and he griped the buttplate so the weight of the gun was pulling forward if you get what I mean... Not being supported in the middle.

Normally no biggy, but a second after I release my grip and the stock took the weight there was a clearly audible *crack* from the stock :(

It was packing up for the day and everything else was away so wasn't shot further.

It's a walnut stock, I can't see any split from the outside, but it sure sounded like one. Wondering now if it's going to come in have next time I fire it from the recoil (.270 win).

:unknown:
upup
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: *crack* sound from walnut stock :(

Post by tom604 » 07 Jan 2015, 2:10 pm

pop it out of the stock and have a look and maybe a light twist,see if anything shows,,also it may have slotted into the bedding? new stock? grasping at straws now :unknown:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by RealNick » 07 Jan 2015, 8:51 pm

Hot as f*** here in Melbourne at the moment, how's it in NSW?

Heat expanding things? Budged a bit with the change in stress on the stock holding differently?
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by upup » 10 Jan 2015, 4:30 pm

Ok disassembled the whole thing.

Checked the stock up and down, action screw inlets, checked the action for signs of funny pressure etc. in case it was seated oddly.

Nothing, still no idea.
upup
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 10 Jan 2015, 5:34 pm

Maybe if the bolt was closed but not all the way closed it may have just snapped shut. Or if the bolt was open it may have clicked to one side or the other.

Also if empty the magazine follower could have been slightly hung up and clicked to the top.

Was the bolt closed and cocked maybe the trigger was accidentally touched and the firing pin released.

I don't think that kind of an incident would break a stock. It usually takes a drop or fall of some kind onto a hard surface. I am thinking a mechanical sound of some kind from the action.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Hinky » 12 Jan 2015, 8:23 am

Metal tension in a screw, snapping into the bedding, bit of debris between the action and bedding that cracked under pressure... A little heat expansion/contraction? Who knows. Grasping straws now TBH.

If you've gone over it with a fine tooth come and can't find so much as a crack, I say shoot on.

( What else can you do anyway :unknown: )
Mosin Nagant M1891
Sako Finnbear L61R 25-06
Browning T-Bolt .22LR Sporter
Browning BL22
Hinky
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by upup » 12 Jan 2015, 8:27 am

Jack V wrote:Maybe if the bolt was closed but not all the way closed it may have just snapped shut. Or if the bolt was open it may have clicked to one side or the other.

Could be.... Bolt was opened/cocked to eject the brass, then closed on an empty chamber/mag to pass just so it wasn't flapping around.

Perhaps it did.
upup
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by upup » 12 Jan 2015, 8:32 am

Hinky wrote:If you've gone over it with a fine tooth come and can't find so much as a crack, I say shoot on.

( What else can you do anyway :unknown: )

That's about where I'm at.

Next shoot we'll find out.

Feeling better having pulled the whole thing apart and gone over it to find no obvious problems though :)
upup
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Old Fart » 12 Jan 2015, 8:32 am

If it was me the sound would have come from my old joints :lol:
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal