Bore bulge in Steyr HS50

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Bore bulge in Steyr HS50

Post by Warrigul » 03 Feb 2015, 8:40 am

Jack V wrote:Your right In Military rifles free bore is not uncommon but this rifle is sold a precision long range rifle , free bore is not commo in that kind of rifle with the bullets they are chambered for but it's obvious the real description of this rifle is the Military one "Anti Material rifle " . Either way they do seem to shoot ok as others have shown but this one has a problem . Hopefully only the scope.
Crimps do not reduce chamber pressure they actually increase chamber pressure slightly by holding the bullet back longer as pressure rises , Crimp = higher neck tension = more pressure inside the case to make the bullet move out of the neck . A lot also depends on how hard the crimp actually is . The amounts involved are very slight as it don't take much extra to iron out a crimp .
Crimps can help accuracy but in most cases it's related to either straightening up the bullet in the neck or improving ignition and powder burn . Some boat tail bullets don't have much parallel section to seat on and even with good neck tension and seating dies can still have marginal grip they test fine in a concentricity gauge but after chambering can be out of whack . A crimp can help stop that from happening. Big calibres can benefit from a crimp even if it's just to stop recoil movement of the bullet when rounds are in a mag .

You have read it wrong or maybe it is a bit vague, I did not say they reduced chamber pressure, it was meant to read that crimps are a remedy when you are unable to seat to lands. i.e. to provide consistant start pressure as this is mainly all seating to the lands does. i.e. when the land s are too far away or when magazine length restricts this(my .300wm for instance.

I am well aware of what crimps do.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by lole » 04 Feb 2015, 9:54 am

What's the word Brett?

Make any determination on it?
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 04 Feb 2015, 1:46 pm

Nothing back from Steyr as yet, maybe tomorrow. As an FYI the factory Hornady ammo I'm using doesn't appear to be crimped at the projectile but the primer definately is crimped. I've got maybe another 700 factory rounds to shoot so I'm almost a world champion on cleaning up 50cal primer pockets :)
Feb 20-23rd is looking like a winner to head north for one final excercise in the process of elimination.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 04 Feb 2015, 5:33 pm

It's better for bullet BC and lamina air flow to avoid a crimp if you can . Any slight groove left in the bullet will set up additional shock waves in the air flows characteristics. It may be only slight by the time the bullet goes down the bore and with big heavy bullet like that but every little bit helps. I have my fingers and toes crossed in the hope that a new scope fixes the issue. 700 50 BMG shots is a lot of punishment don't go too wild .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 04 Feb 2015, 8:29 pm

I've been married to a Ukrainian for 12 years so I'm an expert in being punished :)

The Steyr for all intensive purposes "Should" be very accurate given its competition wins plus it's a pleasure to shoot. The giant clamshell brake at the noisy end sure does a good job reducing the recoil, the weight does it's bit as well. I had / have high expectations for this rifle. I'm very close to settling on a property up north where I can shoot out to 1750m and I want to get this thing sorted. I'm hoping very much it's a faulty scope cause that's a quick fix but if it's a barrel I think I'm screwed for months.

I like the McMillan & DTA but both have their issues, the pistol grip on the McMillan is made for gigantic hands making the trigger uncomfortable to the finger. The DTA which is also the lightest at 13.2kg kicks reasonably hard but a new bipod will help a little with that. I'll probably not update this thread much for the next few weeks unless I hear back from Steyr or get north earlier to test a different scope.

I've got a 1000 .416 cases to match prep which will consume most of my free time. My shooting buddy has a 15 year old son who's wanting to get his juniors permit so I'll put him to work on the press resizing brass and in return I'll pay for his safety course and juniors permit. He gets his permit and some education and I get some cheap labour so it's win - win on both sides :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 05 Feb 2015, 2:31 pm

brett1868 wrote:I'm very close to settling on a property up north where I can shoot out to 1750m

Can I come? :D
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 05 Feb 2015, 8:03 pm

Lorgar wrote:Can I come? :D

It's about 6 hrs north of Sydney and if / when I settle then I'll be open to fellow shooters testing their skill at extended range on a casual basis. I'm currently haggling with the agent on price and also looking for something closer to home.

Winchester contacted me today and are on-board with my plan to eliminate the scope as a cause. They were also surprised to hear about the "loose" spot in the bore, if it still shoots like crap with the Kahles then I drop it back to the dealer to ship south.

They (Winchester) quoted me 2-3 weeks to turn around any inspection / repair as they have a gunsmith on staff along with a bore scope to diagnose any issues without having to return it to Austria.

I'm quite happy with the response from them and the dealer so far. I don't mind if things break or have problems if the support is good, similar to not mind paying a little extra for exceptional service.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 06 Feb 2015, 9:42 am

brett1868 wrote:It's about 6 hrs north of Sydney and if / when I settle then I'll be open to fellow shooters testing their skill at extended range on a casual basis. I'm currently haggling with the agent on price and also looking for something closer to home.

There is a 613 acre property in Dalton,about 3 hours south of Sydney mostly freeway drive, it has been on the market for over a year so the owner should negotiate on the $199K asking price.

It does say there are ferals, it has building entitlement.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-o ... on-7627935
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 07 Feb 2015, 8:22 am

brett1868 wrote:
Lorgar wrote:Can I come? :D

It's about 6 hrs north of Sydney and if / when I settle then I'll be open to fellow shooters testing their skill at extended range on a casual basis. I'm currently haggling with the agent on price and also looking for something closer to home.

Winchester contacted me today and are on-board with my plan to eliminate the scope as a cause. They were also surprised to hear about the "loose" spot in the bore, if it still shoots like crap with the Kahles then I drop it back to the dealer to ship south.

They (Winchester) quoted me 2-3 weeks to turn around any inspection / repair as they have a gunsmith on staff along with a bore scope to diagnose any issues without having to return it to Austria.

I'm quite happy with the response from them and the dealer so far. I don't mind if things break or have problems if the support is good, similar to not mind paying a little extra for exceptional service.

That is good news , that it don't have to go back to Europe . I agree it should shoot way better than what you have experienced . Good luck . That's only 4 hours from me :thumbsup:
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 07 Feb 2015, 9:02 am

Or ! hour in the plane from me!!!!LMFAO Sorry Jack just jokes mate!!!! :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Vati » 08 Feb 2015, 12:33 pm

Good luck with it mate.

Sucks you can pay that much and still get a dud :(
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 08 Feb 2015, 1:42 pm

Westy wrote:Or ! hour in the plane from me!!!!LMFAO Sorry Jack just jokes mate!!!! :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm::

That's cheating Westy :lol:
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Gunsmithing