Bolt stuck down

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Bolt stuck down

Post by Warrigul » 28 Jan 2015, 6:20 pm

pmomd wrote:I'll strip and clean the bolt, hadn't thought of doing that after - just in case.

Primer looks like any other spent primer.

No rubbish in the chamber or stuck in the neck area?
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jan 2015, 7:12 pm

I was thinking along the lines of a hair dryer or a heat gun as mentioned earlier. All academic BS now :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 28 Jan 2015, 7:23 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I was thinking along the lines of a hair dryer or a heat gun as mentioned earlier. All academic bs now bs now . Lol

Ok I see . It may have worked .
Look I have spent a life time with guns and been trained by three Government jobs with weapons and spent many many hours watching gun smiths and armourers work . Been a gun owner , hunter , reloader and experimenter for 45 years and a bullet maker for about 25 years . You can't do that and not know a thing or two . It hurts when you give people your hard earned knowledge and they don't even have the decency to say thanks properly .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 28 Jan 2015, 7:51 pm

Jack V wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:I was thinking along the lines of a hair dryer or a heat gun as mentioned earlier. All academic bs now bs now . Lol

Ok I see . It may have worked .
Look I have spent a life time with guns and been trained by three Government jobs with weapons and spent many many hours watching gun smiths and armourers work . Been a gun owner , hunter , reloader and experimenter for 45 years and a bullet maker for about 25 years . You can't do that and not know a thing or two . It hurts when you give people your hard earned knowledge and they don't even have the decency to say thanks properly .

You serious? a bloke comes in with a problem, several offer advice and you want special thanks specifically aimed at you? :unknown:

maybe you'd like your own thanks thread so no one accidentally gets thanks that was yours

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Jan 2015, 8:31 pm

I was going to suggest he do the same thing that you did Jack but to me it was an obvious solution (I couldn't see any other way of getting it out to be honest) so I figured he would do that anyway (then you suggested it) which saved me from pointing out the bleeding obvious. :lol: :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 29 Jan 2015, 7:21 am

Hang - on here :lol: :D :lol:

If this keeps up I'll bring that photo out again :silent: :crazy: :silent:

936665_698320706928049_2236933366326566646_n_zpsigoyjw87.jpg
936665_698320706928049_2236933366326566646_n_zpsigoyjw87.jpg (17.97 KiB) Viewed 4966 times
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Jan 2015, 7:23 am

Westy wrote:Hang - on here :lol: :D :lol:

:lol: :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 29 Jan 2015, 7:48 am

Seems you keep that pic close at hand....

Haha

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 29 Jan 2015, 8:57 am

You'll get to eat a LOT of popcorn with Jack Westy.

Just give it time.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Jack V » 29 Jan 2015, 10:59 am

bigfellascott wrote:I was going to suggest he do the same thing that you did Jack but to me it was an obvious solution (I couldn't see any other way of getting it out to be honest) so I figured he would do that anyway (then you suggested it) which saved me from pointing out the bleeding obvious. :lol: :thumbsup:

Yeah right on mate . :thumbsup: I have steel drill rods for 3 calibres / cartridges but mine are turned down on one end so they slip inside the case but stay a neat fit in the bore . This makes the rod more rigid to strike as it don't flex sideways in the bore . Mainly used as emergency gear , just in case .
They have saved a few other shooters also.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 29 Jan 2015, 11:12 am

Chronos wrote:You serious? a bloke comes in with a problem, several offer advice and you want special thanks specifically aimed at you? :unknown:

maybe you'd like your own thanks thread so no one accidentally gets thanks that was yours

Yes I am serious . I was the only one to give the right advice but he ignores me . It would be common courtesy to at least acknowledge who was right in the thread . If you can't see that then you are just like him and making excuses for bad manners . Would a simple "thanks jack " be all that hard to bear and so outrageous to expect when you do the right thing by someone . No you are the one with the wrong attitude mate , you try to justify bad manners .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 29 Jan 2015, 10:15 pm

i have lost count of how many times this has happened to me water of a ducks back , drink some cement and HTFU
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by pmomd » 30 Jan 2015, 8:18 am

Warrigul wrote:No rubbish in the chamber or stuck in the neck area?

Just the usual little bit of carbon fouling or whatever it is. Nothing of substance.

And yes... Thanks to all who gave their suggestions on fixing the problem...
CZ 550 Varmint in .308 Winchester.
Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06 Springfield.
pmomd
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Jack V » 30 Jan 2015, 7:31 pm

Don't ever expect any further help from me.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 31 Jan 2015, 7:44 am

well i gave the wrong advice so i want my own reply saying that i gave the wrong advice,,,or ill never give you the wrong advice again :sarcasm:

he thanked all, all good. :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jan 2015, 12:18 pm

Personaly, I think continuing to post images and comments along those lines is unacceptable behaviour on a public forum.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by newsteadvic » 31 Jan 2015, 12:45 pm

pmomd wrote:Fixed the bugger :D

Can't really see anything wrong with the brass, nothing has split or separated.

Although there is obviously debate about the value of pressure signs, are there any of the obvious pressure signs - extractor mark imprints, flat primer, gas leak past primer or loose primer?

Is the case head at the web diameter similar to others in the batch?
newsteadvic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by pmomd » 01 Feb 2015, 12:17 pm

Jack V wrote:Don't ever expect any further help from me.

Calm down :unknown:

I appreciate your input, the same as I do everyone elses. You weren't the only one who spent there time offering help so I thanked everyone for contributing, whatever that may have been.

I'm not writing individual thank you letters to everyone who replied... You didn't get excluded and others got thanks for their time also.
pmomd
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Vati » 01 Feb 2015, 12:18 pm

tom604 wrote:he thanked all, all good. :thumbsup:

Multiple times in fact now...
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Monty » 01 Feb 2015, 12:22 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Personaly, I think continuing to post images and comments along those lines is unacceptable behaviour on a public forum.

Yes... Deleted all the inflammatory images.

Lets have no more of those.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by pmomd » 01 Feb 2015, 12:24 pm

newsteadvic wrote:Although there is obviously debate about the value of pressure signs, are there any of the obvious pressure signs - extractor mark imprints, flat primer, gas leak past primer or loose primer?

Is the case head at the web diameter similar to others in the batch?

Nothing that I can see.

No extractor marks, primer looks like any other fired primer with no piercing or flattening. Haven't de-primed it yet to see if it comes out easily but to the fingers it's in tight.

Head looks normal holding against a new case and I raked a paperclip through it to look for separation and found nothing. Last thing to test is how hard it is to run it through a sizing die I guess and see what happens.
pmomd
Private
Private

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Gunsmithing