Mixed jacketed and lead 22lr and cleaning

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Mixed jacketed and lead 22lr and cleaning

Post by south » 08 Feb 2015, 11:22 am

Hi guys,

So about not cleaning your 22lr when you're using lead/wax ammo, what happens if you throw some jacketed ammo in the mix?

Just shooting copper jacket ammo you'll need to clear it after to get the fouling and what not out of it.

Does following a box of jacketed copper ammo with regular lead/wax ammo clean it out or coat over it for protection so no cleaning is required?
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Mixed jacketed and lead 22lr and cleaning

Post by Jack V » 08 Feb 2015, 5:42 pm

There is no copper jacketed ammo in 22lr that I am aware of . I have only seen copper plated bullets which is very different to jacketed.

There is no real useful way to shoot out fouling with any combination of bullets with the possible exception of a base guard bullet used in a pistol . In the end you have to just clean it with solvents to get back to a clean starting point .

Even 22 rimfires need cleaning now and then even though they do tend to continue shooting without pressure issues but eventually accuracy does suffer to some degree . You don't have to clean a 22lr as often as a centre fire .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Josh Smith » 09 Feb 2015, 4:21 am

Copper plating is just copper washing.

Clean the .22 rifle only when precision begins to degrade, and do not use a brush. Just a mop with CLP or something similar.

Regards,

Josh
Josh Smith
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by south » 09 Feb 2015, 9:56 am

Maybe I have the exact definitions of jacket, plating and washing muddled when it comes to copper ammo.

To clarify when I say copper I'm talking about ammo like the Winchester Powerpoints etc. Ammo like this:

copper-22lr-ammo.jpg
copper-22lr-ammo.jpg (6.67 KiB) Viewed 4666 times

For lead ammo I obviously mean the regular waxed lead projectiles like so many 22lr ammo brands.

Hope that's clearer.
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Lorgar » 09 Feb 2015, 10:07 am

Personally I'd clean it.

I haven't used it much copper ammo, as it happens the types of ammo my Annie likes most have all been non-copper ammo so that's what I've continued to use.

Trying the half dozen brands I did though I found there was significant copper fouling on the rifling. Why leave it there? IMO...
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Tiiger » 09 Feb 2015, 10:08 am

You can't shoot fouling out, no.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Jack V » 09 Feb 2015, 11:17 am

south wrote:Maybe I have the exact definitions of jacket, plating and washing muddled when it comes to copper ammo.

To clarify when I say copper I'm talking about ammo like the Winchester Powerpoints etc. Ammo like this:

copper-22lr-ammo.jpg

For lead ammo I obviously mean the regular waxed lead projectiles like so many 22lr ammo brands.

Hope that's clearer.

The copper wash is not there to do anything in the bore to any great degree . It's more there to make the bullets last longer in storage . Plain lead bullets will eventually corrode a bit especially where they meet the dissimilar metal of the case . Electrolysis sets up between the two using air born moisture and possibly powder chemicals . If a copper alloy wash is on the bullet it slows that down because it's nobility is closer to the jacket material .
However some manufacturers may give the impression it helps with reducing fouling but I have never seen a big difference .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 09 Feb 2015, 12:08 pm

south wrote:Maybe I have the exact definitions of jacket, plating and washing muddled when it comes to copper ammo.

copper-22lr-ammo.jpg

Hope that's clearer.

I've just had a quick look and even the copper plated ones have a fine layer of lube on them. I have never treated them any different plain lead lubed ones.

But that is just me.

I've got .22lr ammo over a hundred years old that still looks and fires okay, kept dry it lasts a long time.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Jack V » 09 Feb 2015, 3:21 pm

Some can and I have power points that are less than 20 years old that are starting to corrode . It still fires fine but has difficulty chambering in a Brno.
100 year old 22 LR hey ? The 22 LR was only around from about the start of spherical smokeless gun powder in 1920 or so . Before that the rimfires were not called "22 Long Rifle " I very much doubt you have any 100 year old 22 LR ammo . Very old yes but 100 years ?
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 Feb 2015, 4:03 pm

I only clean my .22 after an outing that has seen it get dirty, in almost 20 ears the barrel has only been cleaned about 3 times.

As for old ammo....100 years :roll: ;) , I've had problems with .22 ammo that's under 5 years old, miss fires, hang fires and big inconsistencies, I beleve due to very hot conditions in storage.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Warrigul » 09 Feb 2015, 7:43 pm

Jack V wrote:Some can and I have power points that are less than 20 years old that are starting to corrode . It still fires fine but has difficulty chambering in a Brno.
100 year old 22 LR hey ? The 22 LR was only around from about the start of spherical smokeless gun powder in 1920 or so . Before that the rimfires were not called "22 Long Rifle " I very much doubt you have any 100 year old 22 LR ammo . Very old yes but 100 years ?

There are five readily available sources but Chuck Hawkes is the easiest to understand: "In 1887 the Stevens Arms Co. developed the ultimate in .22 rimfire cartridges, the .22 Long Rifle. This used the .22 Long case with a 40 grain RN bullet loaded to higher velocity than the 29 grain Long bullet. It shot flatter and hit harder than any of the previous .22 rimfires except the .22 Extra Long, whose performance it essentially duplicated in a shorter case, and it was more accurate than that cartridge.

The .22 Long Rifle caught on, was adapted to both rifles and pistols, and became the most popular sporting and target shooting cartridge in the world. After the advent of smokeless powder a High Velocity version of the .22 LR was introduced, which further extended the .22 LR's superiority as a small game hunting cartridge."

Look, I have a lot of old ammo, I would not call myself a collector but we have a couple in the club that are very knowledgeable about these things and they have both dated an supplied the histories of my older finds.

And yes even though over 100 years old the half a dozen I tried still fired quite well in my winchester pump(also chambered in .22 Long Rifle), the wonderful thing about winchester is every serial number provides a date and it was made long before 1920 I can tell you.

Keep ammo dry and it lasts a very long time- unless I am fairly sure I usually keep my mouth firmly shut.

This one isn't mine but I can't be stuffed unpacking the jigsaw of a safe it is in at the moment.

Winchester1906Barrel.jpg
Winchester1906Barrel.jpg (35.3 KiB) Viewed 4627 times

Enough said.

But, hey, if you have something other than your personal opinion to support your case then go for it and I will listen.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Jack V » 10 Feb 2015, 9:27 am

on_one_wheel wrote:I only clean my .22 after an outing that has seen it get dirty, in almost 20 ears the barrel has only been cleaned about 3 times.

As for old ammo....100 years :roll: ;) , I've had problems with .22 ammo that's under 5 years old, miss fires, hang fires and big inconsistencies, I beleve due to very hot conditions in storage.

I agree ammo can vary greatly in it's lasting ability and performance . My old ammo was also stored in hot Western plains conditions for a long time .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Tinked » 10 Feb 2015, 2:15 pm

Warrigul wrote:I've got .22lr ammo over a hundred years old that still looks and fires okay, kept dry it lasts a long time.

Do you use it or just had a shot to see how it goes?

How did it group compared to whatever is your best modern ammo?
Tinked
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by North East » 10 Feb 2015, 6:25 pm

It is only a .22.....just shoot it and see what happens.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 10 Feb 2015, 8:19 pm

Tinked wrote:Do you use it or just had a shot to see how it goes?

How did it group compared to whatever is your best modern ammo?

Nope, never expected then to fire and I was quickly chastised when they realised what I was shooting(collectors get a bit niggly sometimes).
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Tinked » 11 Feb 2015, 10:12 am

Cranky old bastards getting in the way of fun :lol:
Tinked
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Gunsmithing