Barrel unscrewed itself?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Barrel unscrewed itself?

Post by Mich » 13 Feb 2015, 6:49 pm

Morning guys,

Got a problem here I've never seen before. Due to head into town in the next week or so and can visit the smith but curious to see if anyone's come across it.

Have have an old - early 70's - Remington 700 that's been well used to say the least. The problem is this....

After having who knows how many hundred or thousands rounds through it I noticed the barrel had unscrewed a fraction of an inch from the action when brass started to look funny after being fired. Lucky I caught it when I did before it reached a more dangerous point.

The rifle hasn't been used for years, but has never had a problem. It was an old family rifle, I don't know 100% but I doubt the barrel has ever been removed.

Noticing the barrel I removed it, there is no unusual wear on the threads as far as I can see and for lack of a better option I can only assume at the moment it's being vibrated out over the course of a number of shots.

Any ideas?
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Re: Barrel unscrewing itself after shooting a few boxes of a

Post by anthillinside » 13 Feb 2015, 7:09 pm

Not I, sorry I can't help you there.
But if you can find out what it is ... Bottle it.
It's normally the other way round, something that hasn't move in 30+ years needs serious effort to undo it.
I know a lot of people who would pay serious money to have something the releases stuck bolts like that :clap:
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Feb 2015, 8:23 pm

switch barrel time! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: Barrel unscrewed itself?

Post by Spooner » 14 Feb 2015, 10:50 am

Maybe someone was an aspiring gunsmith who took a crack at it. Didn't quite get it back together.
Spooner
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by BBJ » 15 Feb 2015, 3:50 pm

anthillinside wrote:It's normally the other way round, something that hasn't move in 30+ years needs serious effort to undo it.

Mmm.

I can only guess someone has removed it and failed to reinsert it correctly at some point over the years.

Joins that old can be like trying to break apart a weld when you need to.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Yelp » 15 Feb 2015, 5:33 pm

That's a weird one.

Could you notice if it had unscrewed recently or ages ago? Was there a line of corrosion showing before and after or anything like that to give an indication of time when it came loose?
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by trekin » 16 Feb 2015, 7:59 am

Mich wrote:Morning guys,

Got a problem here I've never seen before. Due to head into town in the next week or so and can visit the smith but curious to see if anyone's come across it.

Have have an old - early 70's - Remington 700 that's been well used to say the least. The problem is this....

After having who knows how many hundred or thousands rounds through it I noticed the barrel had unscrewed a fraction of an inch from the action when brass started to look funny after being fired. Lucky I caught it when I did before it reached a more dangerous point.

The rifle hasn't been used for years, but has never had a problem. It was an old family rifle, I don't know 100% but I doubt the barrel has ever been removed.

Noticing the barrel I removed it, there is no unusual wear on the threads as far as I can see and for lack of a better option I can only assume at the moment it's being vibrated out over the course of a number of shots.

Any ideas?

Have seen the same thing once a long time ago. The cause then was a fracture running from the ejector port to the front of the action through the threads, that was invisible to the eye, but was detected using a Dye penetrant inspection method and confirmed with an Ultrasonic test. The problem was determined to be a combination of;
stress fractures originating from a contaminate in the steel used in the action, caused by the continued minute expansion and contraction of the barrel and action by the pressure generated when firing the cartridge. These fractures reduced the action's threads mechanical ability to lock the barrel threads in place.
the torquing of the barrel imparted by the projectile passing through the rifling.
This of course may not be the cause of your problem, but if you intend to kept using this rifle, and no obvious cause can be found, then it may pay to have your smith run a NDE (Nondestructive examination) on it for piece of mind.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Jack V » 16 Feb 2015, 4:39 pm

I was thinking the same thing either front action ring failure or someone did not fit it up properly with enough torque. Chances are it's the latter but a good inspection should be done to rule out any other reason . Also the cases would have been over stretched and will fail early .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 16 Feb 2015, 5:58 pm

Hey mitch if you keep shooting it ,who knows might screw it's self back up tight????LMFAO
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Jack V » 16 Feb 2015, 7:21 pm

You would tend to think that it should tighten , right hand twist rate on right hand tenon thread but for some reason some get looser . Maybe it's recoil and vibration or maybe it's a bit of tight chambering and as the bolt closes it turns the loose barrel .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Mich » 17 Feb 2015, 8:59 pm

trekin wrote:The cause then was a fracture running from the ejector port to the front of the action through the threads, that was invisible to the eye, but was detected using a Dye penetrant inspection method and confirmed with an Ultrasonic test.

Interesting. That's obviously something I can't do myself, will give the gunsmith a call and see if he has the equipment needed for that.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by Warrigul » 18 Feb 2015, 12:14 pm

Mich wrote:
trekin wrote:The cause then was a fracture running from the ejector port to the front of the action through the threads, that was invisible to the eye, but was detected using a Dye penetrant inspection method and confirmed with an Ultrasonic test.

Interesting. That's obviously something I can't do myself, will give the gunsmith a call and see if he has the equipment needed for that.

It isn't "rocket surgery"Your local welding shop may have the gear, either the dyes or magnetic induction with filings or Xray test gear. I have a test pack tucked away in my shed even though I don't use it anymore. I have tested a few old actions and never found a crack.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by brett1868 » 18 Feb 2015, 12:19 pm

Westy wrote:Hey mitch if you keep shooting it ,who knows might screw it's self back up tight????LMFAO

Don't be silly Westy, he needs to load up some left handed rounds to do that :D :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mich » 19 Feb 2015, 11:28 am

Warrigul wrote:It isn't "rocket surgery"Your local welding shop may have the gear, either the dyes or magnetic induction with filings or Xray test gear. I have a test pack tucked away in my shed even though I don't use it anymore. I have tested a few old actions and never found a crack.

I just don't have the equipment myself. If the gunsmith doesn't have the geat I'll try others like a welder.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by kurl » 19 Feb 2015, 11:28 am

brett1868 wrote:Don't be silly Westy, he needs to load up some left handed rounds to do that :D :D

Good luck, I'm still trying to find a left handed screwdriver and no one stocks them! :mrgreen:
kurl
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing