"Military grade barrel"

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

"Military grade barrel"

Post by hrrl » 25 Feb 2015, 12:06 pm

Means what exactly?

I see this boasted about in places. Is there some patented US military making method or is this just mall ninjas making crap up?
Howa Nowa Browna Cowa
hrrl
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: "Military grade barrel"

Post by Noisydad » 25 Feb 2015, 12:38 pm

"Military grade" means "not enough to go around and when they turn up vital parts will be missing and parts not even related to the equipment in question will be in abundance".
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Silver87 » 25 Feb 2015, 12:53 pm

Could be used to described barrels made of chrome molly steel with chrome lined bores like a lot of modern military firearms, or in the case of the Remington's fitted with 5R barrels they are the same barrel fitted to the US military's M24 rifles.
Silver87
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 25 Feb 2015, 2:18 pm

Check if it has a chrome lined bore in the barrel that might be what they are about.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 25 Feb 2015, 3:24 pm

Ultimately it doesnt mean much at all....
The 'military' will provide a specification the barrels are to be of XX steal alloy, the chamber is to be reamed to XX tolerance; so if the barrel uses the same XX alloy is it mil grade?
Don't buy on words, whether mil-grade or mil-spec.....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Korkt » 25 Feb 2015, 3:25 pm

Noisydad wrote:"Military grade" means "not enough to go around and when they turn up vital parts will be missing and parts not even related to the equipment in question will be in abundance".

And built by the lowest bidder.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by BRNOmod2 » 25 Feb 2015, 3:32 pm

An advertising gimmick to convince u to buy it/pay more - same as painting things black and calling them tactical items
BRNOmod2
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Jack V » 25 Feb 2015, 3:42 pm

I agree it could mean a chrome lined barrel with a bit deeper rifling compared to the average button rifled barrel but after that it don't mean much else . I think they like to give the impression that everything Military is way more accurate .
In most cases it's not . Match quality civilian target rifles will shoot just as good if not better than Military sniper rifles do .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 25 Feb 2015, 6:39 pm

hrrl wrote:Means what exactly?

I see this boasted about in places. Is there some patented US military making method or is this just mall ninjas making crap up?

Military grade or mil-spec is simply a product complying with the specifications stated for the military.

To get a government tender there are two requirements: convince the purchasing department your gear complies with the minimum needed and be the cheapest.

Most capitalist government projects are built by low bidders. The gear is hardly inspiring in many cases and it is an advertising gimmick.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Westy » 26 Feb 2015, 6:52 am

I think it means you can only find this barrel in Area 51 , I want one and were can I get it????

Don't listen to the other guys here as their all Nay Sayers looking to fool you!!!! :crazy: :wtf: :crazy:

Does it look at all like this ???
http://youtu.be/zjrXc8VQj_A :clap: :lol: :clap:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by rainwalker » 26 Feb 2015, 1:50 pm

Aren't they a bit old for play swordfights :lol:
Nothin' like a good thirty aught six
rainwalker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Mich » 02 Mar 2015, 7:45 am

Just means built to a standard.

Doesn't necessarily reflect a high or low standard though.

Case by case.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Return to Gunsmithing