Barrel crown types

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Barrel crown types

Post by Prettybird » 01 Mar 2015, 8:53 am

There's a bit of debate on what type of barrel crown is best but people get results with all sorts so I thought I'd ask from a different angle.

Rather than what's "best" what have you found to be best if you've tried a few different ones?
Prettybird
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Barrel crown types

Post by Jack V » 01 Mar 2015, 4:23 pm

It's very hard to asses the virtue of a crown unless you recrown the same barrel with all different types of crowns and then test using exactly the same ammo each time.
Generally flat crowns like on old Sako's work ok . Mainly because they are easy to produce accurately in a lathe with a single point tool .
11 degree crowns work ok also but are harder to do . Stepped crowns are just flat crows stepped in a bit . Bevelled crown is what you see on older Military barrels and a deeper set in crown on a large curved recess .
I have barrels with , flat crowns , 11 degree target and bevelled and they all seem to shoot .
I think they all will shoot well if they are accurately machined but I'm partial to flat crowns done in a lathe with a single point tool .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Korkt » 01 Mar 2015, 7:35 pm

I've never fussed over the crown itself, but I do give points to any in a recess.

If you rifle sees any work and isn't just babied from the bag to the bench it will save it from a few knocks over long enough and save you from needing to recrown that much sooner.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tiiger » 05 Mar 2015, 8:19 am

Never seen a convincing argument one is clearly better than the other.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Old Fart » 05 Mar 2015, 8:44 am

Jack V wrote:I have barrels with , flat crowns , 11 degree target and bevelled and they all seem to shoot.

As is my experience.

The condition of the crown is key.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 07 Mar 2015, 9:19 pm

From my understanding, the crown itself is just the beveled area directly at the end of the bore.

11degree, recessed, stepped, what ever; it's just the cut protecting the actual crown. The crown being an even bevel around the very muzzle of the bore. This needs to be dead smooth and very evenly cut/honed or polished so as to allow even escape of gasses as the bullet leaves the rifling with no burrs or nicks to upset the bullets departure.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by RDobber » 08 Mar 2015, 12:25 pm

Never given it much thought honestly :unknown:

Keep it good and it'll shoot good. That's enough for me, whatever the angle is.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by inspector » 13 Mar 2015, 3:16 pm

Have a Google for "11 degree target crown"

I don't know enough to try and explain it to you but I believe that's widely agreed to be the optimal design for match rifles.
inspector
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by lole » 13 Mar 2015, 3:18 pm

^^^

Have a read here, Target Crown.

Pretty good read on it.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Prettybird » 19 Mar 2015, 12:07 pm

Good read indeed :thumbsup:

Appreciate the link.
Prettybird
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 19 Mar 2015, 3:46 pm

With the stepped crown it says a depth of .020 - 025 @ 60 degrees on the edge of the bore . I would not do that as the rifling depth is no more than .008 and usually less per side so a cut that deep would cut an edge into the groove of the end of the bore . You just want the end of the rifling land chamfered but not cut down into the groove any or as little as possible .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by lole » 20 Mar 2015, 7:44 am

Well if you've written a more comprehensive article lets see it :P
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 20 Mar 2015, 8:32 am

lole wrote:Well if you've written a more comprehensive article lets see it :P

Jack is on holidays for a couple of weeks, he will get back to you some time after that I am sure.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Return to Gunsmithing