FIXED !! Firing pin hole outward flaring into primer

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: FIXED !! Firing pin hole outward flaring into primer

Post by KWhorenet » 17 Mar 2015, 6:25 pm

Jack V wrote:Could be a manufacturing fault .

Edit: looking back at the 2nd bolt face pic it looks like a ring that could mean bushing but that is the edge of the high area shined up after blending is almost done.

"manufacturing fault" What are your thoughts on it; hole/pin alignment? bolt material? firing pin/spring assy ?

Scott,
Good call but I checked all rounds with a straight edge over the flat areas of the heads with a light and saw a clear gap. None of the 50 I checked are close to protruding.

After all of this there is no more cutting or contacting with the primers by the bolt face. Put marker on and chambered and un chambered with no contact so as of now I'm not too worried but will check up on the spring, pin hole dimensions, firing pin straightness and wear also.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Re: Done.

Post by Gregg » 18 Mar 2015, 12:17 pm

KWhorenet wrote:I did take an hour for what could have taken 5 mins if I wasn't afraid of fcuking it up. :ugeek:

We've all spent that time :lol:
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by KWhorenet » 18 Mar 2015, 3:00 pm

Removed firing pin assy from the bolt for a clean and look-see and all good. Just used taped up pliers to remove. Refitting isn't so easy.
To depress the shroud I used a scrap piece of wood with hole that the firing pin assy could slide in while stopping the shroud. Chiselled out a slot for the firing pin side tab to slide into and stop it rotating. Pushed down on bolt compressing the spring till it's little locking lug was seated, rotated the bolt, re cocked it by hand and voila :thumbsup:

wood tool to replace firing pin assy in bolt 2.jpg
wood tool to replace firing pin assy in bolt 2.jpg (22.5 KiB) Viewed 6642 times

wood tool to replace firing pin assy in bolt.jpg
wood tool to replace firing pin assy in bolt.jpg (24.74 KiB) Viewed 6642 times
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Mar 2015, 3:41 pm

Sound the same procedure as the Howso mate :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Jack V » 19 Mar 2015, 7:44 am

That's looks like the Sako bolt strip system . Howa is the same.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 19 Mar 2015, 9:08 am

Jack V wrote:That's looks like the Sako bolt strip system . Howa is the same.

Probably because the Howa is a copy of the old Sako

Also similar to the Mauser, infact Mauser even provided a rivet in the buttstock as a bolt stripping tool.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by effex » 19 Mar 2015, 10:00 am

Chronos wrote:Also similar to the Mauser, infact Mauser even provided a rivet in the buttstock as a bolt stripping tool.

What's the advantage of the bolts which are so hard/impossible to cock/decock by hand?

Some like the Ruger I think you can relatively easily do each way by hand, others you need a bolt tool. Why make it that hard?
effex
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by Chronos » 19 Mar 2015, 10:15 am

effex wrote:
Chronos wrote:Also similar to the Mauser, infact Mauser even provided a rivet in the buttstock as a bolt stripping tool.

What's the advantage of the bolts which are so hard/impossible to cock/decock by hand?

Some like the Ruger I think you can relatively easily do each way by hand, others you need a bolt tool. Why make it that hard?

Im sure a heavier spring will reduce lock time making the rifle less prone to human error but other than that I'm not sure.

I like the rikka T3 system, turn the bolt shroud and remove it. Insert a tool and turn the firing pin to decock. Then you just remove the bolt handle and tge firing pin just slides out.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 19 Mar 2015, 10:33 am

Cut the piece of wood with the hole+slot down to a 2"x2", it is quite easy to de cock and disassemble/reassemble.

As far as 'easing the spring' when not I use; is it really necessary?
Will leaving the spring compressed actually reduce it's ability to push in my lifetime?
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Jack V » 19 Mar 2015, 10:40 am

How is it similar to a Mauser ? Mauser thread off and Sako type systems just turn and pop out . Similar in you compress a spring maybe ?
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 19 Mar 2015, 10:46 am

KWhorenet wrote:Cut the piece of wood with the hole+slot down to a 2"x2", it is quite easy to de cock and disassemble/reassemble.

As far as 'easing the spring' when not I use; is it really necessary?
Will leaving the spring compressed actually reduce it's ability to push in my lifetime?

A real quality heat treated spring will last even cocked but I have seen a parker hale have ignition problems because it's spring had weakened after being left cocked for many years. The problem is did it have a weak spring to start with you can't tell . So my advice is why take the risk if you can decock the bolt it may help in the long run. If you can't decock easily then leave the bolt in the gun and decock in the action .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 19 Mar 2015, 11:08 am

Chronos wrote:
Jack V wrote:That's looks like the Sako bolt strip system . Howa is the same.

Probably because the Howa is a copy of the old Sako

Also similar to the Mauser, infact Mauser even provided a rivet in the buttstock as a bolt stripping tool.

Chronos

Ummm,

At the risk of another dummyspit from you, please explain how a howa and Mauser bolt are similar when it comes to disassembly. I mean I have both and it seems totally different to me?

The "brass rivet" in the stock of a K98 is to place the firing pin in after you have done a basic strip so you can take the tension of the spring and strip the remainder off.

Have you actually stripped both types of bolt before?
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Jack V » 19 Mar 2015, 11:20 am

I agree with Warrigul , Mauser 98 bolt strip is quite different to a Sako or Howa .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by squirrelhunter » 20 Mar 2015, 12:26 pm

effex wrote:Some like the Ruger I think you can relatively easily do each way by hand, others you need a bolt tool. Why make it that hard?

'easy' might not be the word.

Can be done with fingers but it's an effort.

I don't think it's made to be easier, just the design happens to be that way.
Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308
Bushnell 3-9x 40mm - Multi-X
squirrelhunter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Next

Return to Gunsmithing