Rebarrel a winchester 94

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Rebarrel a winchester 94

Post by andym79 » 04 Apr 2015, 12:27 pm

Hi guys, I have this barrel waiting to be threaded on to me 94 action.

All that is needed is for someone to un-thread the old barrel and thread on the new barrel, which is already threaded and chambered.

Does anyone know of some one in the northern half of metro Adelaide who could do this. I would give it a go but have neither a barrel vice nor an action wrench!
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Rebarrel a winchester 94

Post by andym79 » 07 Apr 2015, 1:05 pm

Hi guys, I ordered a barrel for my 94 (30-30), nice 26" octagonal. It was from Numrich pre threaded, chambered and with dovetailed cut, ready to go on the 94.

I wound the new one on and it lined up well, it is however about a degree off alignment. I am basing this from the extractor grove alingment in the outer ring of the action and the inner ring of the barrel. I tried turning it that extra degree and it seems to want to spring back. The bolt closes fine on a dummy round and the extractor fits the groove and extracts fine.

Should I vise it back up and try and clock it to perfect alignment or should it be fine with a 1 degree misalignment. I don't want to warp the action, the 94 action isn't that robust.

Here are some photos to illustrate what I am talking about, the original barrel had perfect alignment.
Am I being fussy? Had another go to turn it that tiny bit clockwise, but any more pressure really might damage the action!

So with the 1 degree short of indexing, as the extractor moves into the grove fine and extracts a dummy round. Do you think I should just shot it and see how it goes?

What effect will the sight alignment being that 1 degree to the right have?
Attachments
IMG_0820.jpg
IMG_0820.jpg (7.95 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
IMG_0817.jpg
IMG_0817.jpg (6.96 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
IMG_0816.jpg
IMG_0816.jpg (8.18 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Bourt » 08 Apr 2015, 1:52 pm

I don't know how much 1 degree equals in terms of space but the pressing issue could be with the barrel 'screwed out' more than originally that you've potentially increased the headspace by some fraction.

Maybe not enough to worry, maybe enough you'll be stressing your brass, maybe more? I can't give any more advice on this other than ask a smith sorry.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Rocker » 09 Apr 2015, 11:21 am

Just my opinion here but with firearms I says 'close enough is good enough' doesn't cut it.

I'd get to the shop if you can't give it that last turn yourself.
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Gunsmithing